Ikan PD Movie(with iOS device)vs.Tilta Nucleus M

Alt Shoo

9 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

You’re right. Just checked out your link and that’s way more advanced.

Exactly why I’m on the fence because that version has tons of pro features and what makes it more tempting is the iOS connectivity with its ease of use interface for setting points of focus and zoom. There are ways you can even automate these features. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/10/17/pdmovie-live-air-lightweight-wireless-follow-focus/

The PDMovie Live Air uses Bluetooth technology with a range limited to 30 meters or approximately 98 feet so don’t expect to use it on a drone. It’s best suited for gimbals and tripods but could easily be used with two operators. One controlling the camera while the other pulls focus or zoom with the proper support gear. Just don’t go past the suggested range. I will say the Bluetooth connection is very good and I can’t see much lag or delay while pulling focus. Like all wireless devices, the location dictates how well they perform.

If you're operating this solo, then bluetooth shouldn't matter to you at all. But if you're a professional 1st AC then this sounds like a big downside. 

Think about it, that is 30 meters under I assume ideal conditions. Which practically speaking means you might often be down to say 10 meters or less? You'll find yourself being screwed multiple times a year (imagine if it is a steadicam tracking shot, around a corner or from a follow car, or many many other circumstances)  You might need to find yourself running along side the camera instead, trying to get a peek at the monitor as you move. 

Another downside is it is seems to be only for 15mm rails, again not a negative if you're an owner operator. But if you're working as a 1st AC instead, no compatibility with 19mm studio rails is a big downside. 

So it seems if you're focused (ha!) on AC work then the Tilta Nucleus-M makes more sense instead.

On 10/24/2018 at 2:21 AM, IronFilm said:

So it seems if you're focused (ha!) on AC work then the Tilta Nucleus-M makes more sense instead.

Lol love that!!

This article about the PD Movie is an incredible review and find! Thanks a lot! Regarding the information, surprisingly the aspect of drone flying is an aspect I overlooked and with some thought on it, I think I would contract off that side of production for now. Still I very much enjoy the fact of me being able to handle all aspects of a production , so this will be an ongoing consideration. 

Regarding the device reviewed here this isn’t the exact version, but it’s safe to assume that some of the specs, especially the motor’s torque and the sad auto calibration may be a carryover from the PD version I’m discussing about. The version I’m familiar with the batteries are built inside the motors and the focus grip has a built in iOS device holder with zoom/iris controls on the underside and a standard size focus ring. 

• 5 months later...

I just had a friend buy an Arri WCU-4 (NZD$33K!!), which seems like an insane amount for a wireless follow focus with so many cheaper products like these. But when you consider the features and how it just works then it makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mirekti said:

Instant snap focus is really not something I use the Tilta for. It’s more about smoothness, with subtle ramped stops of movement. 

The bigger concern near as I can tell is the stress that these fast high torque movements are putting on the lens/lens mount. Clearly the force is so excessive that a second person is required to hold the lens down to mitigate the huge stresses. 

Look at how the whole lens is moving as the follow focus is actuated. The biggest complaint that I had with the Tilta after receiving it was the massive torque it put out. Tilta later released two firmware updates to address the issue.

Lastly I add that you should know that as the lens is torqued in this manner, the image will shift about in a noticeable way. Not a look I strive for... but to each their own I suppose.

Well the trouble is they are using toy Mirrorless bodies to try and do the same thing dedicated Cine cameras do that weigh 5 times as much, and have Positive Lock lens mounts on them. It really is never going to work as well, not counting like you say, especially the original Sony a7 series cameras had a hell of a week mount on them. I had to switch my A7r to an aftermarket stainless steel mount to use my longer lenses for birding. It was scary on the original mount. The whole thing was a Disaster trying to use a small body, with really long lenses, on a 36mp sensor. Good luck ever getting a sharp picture when moving the camera around on a Photo Gimbal.

I am a pretty big fan of Mirrorless cameras, but they are not worth a flying shit for a lot of applications. They just are too light and too fragile. If it involves movement look elsewhere. Buying a toy camera and having to put it in a Frankenstein rig is sort of just crazy. Buy a Cine camera. Even to me as good as they are, the Z E2 is just too damn small. You would have to hang an Anvil off of it to really use it. Now if you are a Drone guy, well that works I guess. But that stuff gets old quick.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:45 AM, DBounce said:

Instant snap focus is really not something I use the Tilta for. It’s more about smoothness, with subtle ramped stops of movement. 

The bigger concern near as I can tell is the stress that these fast high torque movements are putting on the lens/lens mount. Clearly the force is so excessive that a second person is required to hold the lens down to mitigate the huge stresses. 

Look at how the whole lens is moving as the follow focus is actuated. The biggest complaint that I had with the Tilta after receiving it was the massive torque it put out. Tilta later released two firmware updates to address the issue.

Lastly I add that you should know that as the lens is torqued in this manner, the image will shift about in a noticeable way. Not a look I strive for... but to each their own I suppose.

That is because they're not using the lens on a PL mount.

I'm more worried about how noisy they are! As they're loud in that video

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is because they're not using the lens on a PL mount.

I'm more worried about how noisy they are! As they're loud in that video

Can’t say noise has ever been an issue with my Tilta Nucleus M units. They are very quiet.

We mainly use them for zoom on the Canons as the AF is rock solid and can be changed remotely via the browser remote.

57940E08-FBB7-46E8-8B8D-88D791509FF3.jpeg