Global shutter M-mount camera announced with eye-opening smartphone "hotlink"

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

It needs to be sub $900 to be cheaper than Leica. Dont see that happening.

It needs to be sub $900 to be cheaper than Leica? A brand new M10 is $7000, a used one goes for $6000. Even an old, underwhelming m8 goes for, at best, $1500 these days. What are you talking about? I'm not saying that this is going to compete with an M10 of course, but where is your number coming from?

15 hours ago, roxics said:

It's a pretty looking camera but it's a one trick pony. Once every other camera offers the ability to automatically upload photos to your phone while also offering traditional features like built in storage, evf and lcd, then there really isn't a point to this thing anymore. Unless it comes in super cheap, but I doubt that. 

Several camera brands already offer this automatic uploading of photos to the phone (Sony has for years, and if I remember correctly, Panasonics can do it too). I never used it bc it seems dumb, a good way to drain your phone quickly and always jpgs, no raw.

I like how you refer to evf as 'traditional' when compared to an optical vf! People spend thousands on Leicas that don't have evf or, in some cases, screens. I don't think this is aimed at the average soccer mom or dad who would be happy with an A6500. This is for someone who actually loves rangefinder cameras. People don't buy an X100 so that they can use its efv.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It may be a one trick pony, but it's one hell of a trick.

Being able to take a photo with anything other than a 28mm F22 lens (or the 50mm F-bullshit lens) and then post it to social media without having to do repetitive and frustrating admin work in-between is something that every teen who can spell "aperture" would love to have.

Unfortunately they've got a lot of challenges ahead of them - delivering on the promise would require them threading the needle around almost all of them.  I wish them well, but won't be buying shares just yet.

It's interesting that they've mentioned vintage lenses..  and probably indicates where they think their user base is at.

@Andrew Reid  the more I read the literature on the sensor, the More I am convinced it is in the wrong camera. It's a 12MP sensor after all. 

"Extended optical dynamic range can be achieved by multiple integrated high dynamic range modes (multiple slope and dual exposure)."

It does Full Res 300fps at 10-bit and 132fps at 12-bit, meaning, that, with the right kind of HDR method this sensor can have superb 4k (with full sensor readout) with absolutely no rolling shutter and very high dynamic range. It could have made a great cinema camera. 

5 minutes ago, sanveer said:

It does Full Res 300fps at 10-bit and 132fps at 12-bit, meaning, that, with the right kind of HDR method this sensor can have superb 4k (with full sensor readout) with absolutely no rolling shutter and very high dynamic range. It could have made a great cinema camera.

Blackmagic and AJA thought so, too!

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I remeber this write-up vaguely (Blackmagic had rated it at 13 stops). I didn't realize the guys at Cinema5d rated this thus:

"We could get 8.2 stops of usable dynamic range from the AJA Cion. Interestingly it is the exact same rating we measured on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K."

4 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I remember this write-up vaguely (Blackmagic had rated it at 13 stops). I didn't realize the guys (/the Dynamic Range clowns) at Cinema5d rated this thus:

"We could get 8.2 stops of usable dynamic range from the AJA Cion. Interestingly it is the exact same rating we measured on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K."

https://***URL not allowed***/aja-cion-review-all-about-the-aja-camera/2/ )

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Wherever you are shopping, stop it, the place is ripping you off.

The places would be ebay or http://fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

If we are, in fact, talking about the M8 (which is 12 years old, so kind of an unfair comparison), I have never, ever seen one for lower than $1200, anywhere, and that one would be jacked.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:37 PM, Andrew Reid said:

pixii-m-mount.jpg

This new French camera has a few very noteworthy ideas behind it.

First of all, it does away with a mechanical shutter to bring the cost down and instead has a global shutter CMOS sensor. Global shutter of course avoids the kind of distortion and banding you get from a rolling shutter. It has the advantage of being completely silent compared to an electronic shutter.

Read the full article

Looks like Leica is trying to eat some of their pie. Though it's price would be many times the price. 

https://m.dpreview.com/news/2888145442/the-leica-m10-d-is-a-wi-fi-powered-rangefinder-with-no-lcd

On 10/20/2018 at 10:41 PM, androidlad said:

Looks like a CMOSIS CMV series sensor:

5.5um pixel size, global shutter and 12bit ADC match several CMOSIS SKUs

And the funny thing is the 60-90dB dynamic range swing is exactly the trick from CMOSIS, native DR is 60dB, extended DR is 90dB with Full Well Capacity Temporal Limiting.

I doubt CMOSIS would custom produce a FF version for Pixii, so the most likely SKU Pixii is going to use is CMV12000, an APS-C sized sensor that matches all announced specs.

IMHO they may have put the wrong sensor (way too low dynamic range in normal mode, and the 2 HDR modes look impossible to actually implement). If it used the LTN4625A Sensor (of the Blackmagic 4.6k fame) instead it could improve things dramatically. If that be the case, it could have both great dynamic range (about 14 stops), and also super fast readout between 120fps and 240fps at full res. 

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/catalog/focal-plane-arrays/scmos/ltn4625a