Good affordable LED Lights

BjornT

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For single point LED lighting, Aputure's COB lights have been outstanding. Excellent colour, and very reliable.

I love the Fotodiox Flapjack lights as well, if you primarily need soft lighting. Not quite as consistent colour wise (my 200RS has a bit of a cyan cast), but the light's shape is beautiful right off the fixture, and the round panels give an amazing catchlight.

Up to this point I've only really been messing with cheaper panels.

I really like the stuff I've accumulated over the past few years, the fixtures just keep getting better and cheaper.

I have 2 Aputure 672S

2 Yongnuo YN600 RGB

2 Yongnuo YN360 RGB

3 Travor 3060a Flexible Panels

2 Travor 3030a Flexible Panels

I'm looking at some harder light LED Options and am researching the Godox SL60's and other similar Bowen mount models.

I've heard a lot about the fan, but is that fan noise just as present on the sl60?

6 hours ago, Jordan Drake said:

For single point LED lighting, Aputure's COB lights have been outstanding. Excellent colour, and very reliable.

I love the Fotodiox Flapjack lights as well, if you primarily need soft lighting. Not quite as consistent colour wise (my 200RS has a bit of a cyan cast), but the light's shape is beautiful right off the fixture, and the round panels give an amazing catchlight.

I’m looking to pick up a flapjack or two in the next couple months, glad to hear you like them. 

4 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

Up to this point I've only really been messing with cheaper panels.

I really like the stuff I've accumulated over the past few years, the fixtures just keep getting better and cheaper.

I have 2 Aputure 672S

2 Yongnuo YN600 RGB

2 Yongnuo YN360 RGB

3 Travor 3060a Flexible Panels

2 Travor 3030a Flexible Panels

I'm looking at some harder light LED Options and am researching the Godox SL60's and other similar Bowen mount models.

I've heard a lot about the fan, but is that fan noise just as present on the sl60?

I'm in the same place. From what I've heard, yes, but some people have found success with replacing it with a quieter fan.

I've written a bunch on the Godox SL on dvx lighting forum.

If you are willing to experiment for us, how about this Falcon Eyes COB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5HXV1H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_2?smid=A2ATCDO7P7Y2P0&psc=1

Looks really interesting, 300W bicolor, could be better than Aputure? Thinking of getting this and selling my Aputure COB 300.

Also thinking of getting the Falconeyes RX24TDX.

9 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I've written a bunch on the Godox SL on dvx lighting forum.

If you are willing to experiment for us, how about this Falcon Eyes COB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5HXV1H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_2?smid=A2ATCDO7P7Y2P0&psc=1

Looks really interesting, 300W bicolor, could be better than Aputure? Thinking of getting this and selling my Aputure COB 300.

Also thinking of getting the Falconeyes RX24TDX.

Has the NF-A8 ULN worked out well for you with the Godox? Considering ordering it but I'm seeing some conflicting reports on PV.

To be honest I haven't really used my Godox units a whole lot. 

With the quieter fans comes reduced airflow and higher temps.  I'm in a generally cool climate, stock operating temp for the sl200 I think was 42C and with the quieter fans I'm getting 53C.  If you are in the desert I doubt either will last, but the stock fan would keep it cooler for slightly longer.

I forgot if I swapped out to the regular vs the ULN (noctuas has different versions of the same fan at diff speeds and noise levels).  Whatever I'm running only adds 3db to noise floor in tiny quiet bathroom so huge improvement over stock and basically silent on location.

I'm trying the led flex panels because they're so much lighter and easier to carry around AND the bicolor is so much easier to live with than gels. I hate trying to get these cobs

3 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Heard they're quite good and works with Sony NPF batteries. Any problems you encountered using it?

I've got the 55w bicolour fresnel with active cooling, bowens mount and wifi-dongle. They are the best value/performance of any fresnel I have encountered. It's relatively small, plenty of power options (AC/NP-F/D-tap) and the colour is good. ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1374812-REG/came_tv_f_55s_1_pc_came_tv_boltzen.html )

If I am to point out a couple of flaws: the wifi dongle is a bit sketchy. It uses an adapter from micro-usb to USB-A which is terrible. I bought a new adapter for $2 which is much better. Sometimes it took a bit of time to get the wifi to connect. I also got it with a free bowens mount included. The mount in itself worked pretty good, but when I put a softbox on it, the front element on the lamp is a bit loose, and I also with the screws on the side was a bit stiffer. My softbox is rather small, but if I had a bigger softbox it wouldn't work.

However, taken the price into consideration I would consider the flaws reasonable. There aren't any other fresnel lamps at that price point with wifi and superb build quality.

10 hours ago, scotchtape said:

To be honest I haven't really used my Godox units a whole lot. 

With the quieter fans comes reduced airflow and higher temps.  I'm in a generally cool climate, stock operating temp for the sl200 I think was 42C and with the quieter fans I'm getting 53C.  If you are in the desert I doubt either will last, but the stock fan would keep it cooler for slightly longer.

I forgot if I swapped out to the regular vs the ULN (noctuas has different versions of the same fan at diff speeds and noise levels).  Whatever I'm running only adds 3db to noise floor in tiny quiet bathroom so huge improvement over stock and basically silent on location.

What kind of performance did you get out of the 60w version?

On 10/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, mercer said:

I’m looking to pick up a flapjack or two in the next couple months, glad to hear you like them. 

I scored a FotodioX Flapjack C-318RLS for $100 bucks shipped. They run for around $300 usually. Build is all metal and of high quality. Comes with a nice case also. 

Still haven't figure out a good, portable and versatile lighting setup.

If I have 2-2.500€/$ (which I haven't at the moment because I keep buying sound stuff!) to spend on lighting, what do you guys suggest?

I am eyeing the Godox's mainly because they are the only ones I can find locally (for tax reasons I have to buy some things locally), but I am not 100% sold from what I read on line.