There will be a Sony A7S II successor. The bad news is - "it will take time"

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't think they will call it the C50 though as Fuji are far more likely to call it the X-H2 ;)

When you look at what they have put in the X-T3 then they are obviously going to have to top that for the more video oriented X-H1 successor and I think that might be more than just IBIS....

Don't get my hopes up :)

But man, an X-T3 collection of features + IBIS + electronic ND + some sort of xlr-adapter would be my dream camera. Even make it the same size as the GFX-50, and that'd be fine. 

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/21/2018 at 10:16 PM, currensheldon said:

Don't get my hopes up :)

But man, an X-T3 collection of features + IBIS + electronic ND + some sort of xlr-adapter would be my dream camera. Even make it the same size as the GFX-50, and that'd be fine. 

just add internal 10 bit 422 recording

New info from trusted source, good credibility but may be subject to change:

The overheating is due to LSI and ISP being barely able to cope with over 1.5Gpps data from the sensor, which is likely the 60MP IMX551, same 3.76um pixel architecture as X-T3 IMX571 but equipped with 12-parallel ADC (higher number than A9).

If that's the case, then the "S" in A7SIII is a drastic departure from the traditional concept that sensitivity requires low pixel count. Well, as A7III has demonstrated, it performs better in low light than A7SII, despite having twice the pixel count.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

The overheating is due to LSI and ISP being barely able to cope with over 1.5Gpps data from the sensor, which is likely the 60MP IMX551, same 3.76um pixel architecture as X-T3 IMX571 but equipped with 12-parallel ADC (higher number than A9).

If that's the case, then the "S" in A7SIII is a drastic departure from the traditional concept that sensitivity requires low pixel count. Well, as A7III has demonstrated, it performs better in low light than A7SII, despite having twice the pixel count.

Could you share the datasheet of the IMX551 sensor. 

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

You sure this trusted source isn’t peeking on the development of the a7r4???

But then again, it does fall inline with that 8K talk... so the S line is more video oriented than the others.

@androidlad

If half of the "leaks" you've posted are even close to the truth, I'll be absolutely floored.

So it's going to be a 60 megapixel camera that shoots a full readout downsampled to 4k 60p, outputting RAW to the AXS-R7 recorder utilizing a quad-base ISO? Oh yeah, and the E to E mount focal reducers. You are saying that Sony--who lost the 10-bit photo/video hybrid race to Panasonic, Nikon and even Canon--and who currently maxes out at a 100 Mbps codec--is going to release a camera that leapfrogs the market, logic, and physics itself.

If any of these are true, I'll be the first to admit you were right. But to say I'm skeptical is an understatement.

2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

You sure this trusted source isn’t peeking on the development of the a7r4???

But then again, it does fall inline with that 8K talk... so the S line is more video oriented than the others.

Yes there has been some 8K talk but the word is that A7SIII will remain a 4K camera, supersampled from 8K.

There might not even be a continuation of the "R" line, "S" could be reinterpreted as "Superior"

Another possible sensor candidate for A7S III - IMX435:

Since A7S/A7SII use IMX235, it's possible that IMX435 is a successor.

IMX435.thumb.jpg.88f2304689e54ac6aab551b254c2d7fd.jpg

The IMX435AQJ-C is a diagonal 43.3 mm (Type 2.7) Exmor RS CMOS dual aspect ratio image sensor with a square pixel array and 36.4 M / 33.6 M effective pixels. This sensor incorporates maximum 36 dB PGA circuit and dual multi-convert gain 16-bit A/D converter. 16-bit digital output makes it possible to readout the signals of 36.4 M effective pixels at high-speed of 10.08 frame/s in still picture mode. In addition, it realizes 10-bit digital output for high-speed 60.52 frame/s on-clip PDAF prefocusing.

Also interesting that IMX435 only appeared briefly in the source database, then everything about it was wiped without a trace.

Previously mentioned 60MP IMX551 could be A7RIV after all, since A7RII/III use IMX251.