movie making and staying enchanted

leslie

do you guys and girls, find that after making movies or short films that you begin to  2nd guess others work while watching or  perhaps think that the producer should have done it a different way. does being a producer or director  or being involved on set lessen your enjoyment when you go and watch other movies. i watched the making of the matrix when it came out that kinda disenchanted me abit i think. seeing how the magic worked kind lessened it for me for awhile but i think i have recovered now. but i would like to hear your thoughts 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I used to shoot supervise for VFX then add VFX / key out green screen / remove wires/ retouch faces in post and from my experience, I tend to see which ones are CGI and which ones are live action and I'm more impressed if they do something live than adding it in post like explosions, cars tumbling about etc. Like in Mad Max, you get a sense which ones are real, which ones are not. But I try not to look at behind the scenes footages of a movie especially before watching it or even some time after seeing the movie. It takes away some of the immersion where I was wishing they built something in the studio lot rather than adding them via 3d. But as much as I like live sets and effects, it makes more sense to create them digitally to save time and money for the studios.

• 2 weeks later...

Learning about any art form is a double-edged sword.  On the up-side you learn to appreciate truly great artwork, but on the down-side you also realise that most of what you see is far from great.

I think I'm lucky in a way because when long as there's a plot that I'm semi-interested in things like acting or whatever have to be pretty bad for me to notice them.  I know other people who can't handle a great story if even one of the actors is mediocre, and I know a guy who is so into interior decorating and set design that in The Sixth Sense he worked out that the guy was dead because in the scene with his wife in the restaurant the flowers on the table showed it was set for one person not two!