Micro SDXC with adapter vs SDXC cards

amsh89es335

What is the major difference between the two? I am seeing Samsung and Sandisk Micro SDXC cards cheaper than the SDXC cards but with the same read and write or even faster read speeds. I thought Micro SD cards being smaller and priced cheaper would be slower?

Is there something I am missing. Like are the Micro SDXC less reliable than the full size ones? I would be using them with my GH5S with the 4k 10bit 150mbps not the 400mbps setting. 

I have 2 Samsung 64gb EVO Micro SDXC I have few times used with the GH5S when in a jam for more cards on a shoot and didn't have any issues. Am I running a risk using those? Mostly I use 64gb Lexar 633 SDXC and SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card.

Am I wasting money buying the Lexar 633 and Sandisk Extreme Pro for the GH5S 150mbps mode? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have heard that SDs could be better (more reliable perhaps?) because they've got better heat dissipation.  I'm not sure how true that is, but it makes sense.

Otherwise I'm not sure what other differences there would be.

I've just bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro for my GH5 to use in the 400Mbit mode, but will keep my Samsung EVO Micro in the second slot as a second card in case I run out of space on the first, or in case the first one dies when I'm travelling and can't replace it easily.  My Samsung only tests at something like 20-30MB/s for me so I'd have to scale back to the 150Mbit mode, but from what I've seen there is only minimal difference between the two modes and the 150Mbit mode looks pretty good to my eyes :)

1 minute ago, Goose said:

I had trouble using an adapter in my GX80 - I suspect the adapter had a speed limit but dont know.

I've tested the cards I have with and without each of my adapters and didn't find any difference but that was only up to the speed of the Samsung EVO which was my fastest micro card.

If the adapter has dirty contacts then that might make a difference perhaps? Some adapters could also be cheaply made.

I've been using a microSD with an adapter for 5 years until the card died (few months before the warranty ran out). I've had a few times when the card was deemed corrupt and had to format it and no such issue with the regular SD card I got as the replacement. It could be an issue with the snugness of the adapter (it's a flimsy piece of plastic) or the 3rd party batteries that would sometimes die well before the percent would get to 0%. I've been using these batteries as the last resort since the card died, so maybe the adapter is not to blame.

Unless you share the same card with some action cams, I would advise against it, since they are so much easier to loose and the adapter could break or become less snug after a lot of use and you wouldn't even know it. These days, most Android phones don't have hot-swappable mircoSD card slots so even that advantage has gone down the drain.

However, at since the debate is about microSD, I would once again suggest to Sony to incorporate one such slot as a backup slot on their APS-C models. You would never even take it out, except for the time that the main card fails and the size of the card reader would fit in nicely in the smaller bodies.