Video progress of Fuji (X-T1 to X-T3)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They've made huge  leaps and should be commended for their efforts. While other companies are resting on their laurels and drip feeding features, all while capable of delivering more, Fuji make huge strides with every release.

I've now an A7III user having left canon (1dxII last Canon) but have experience with both Xpro 2 and x-t2 which i loved.

• Administrators

A7R III looks like it has a veil over it compared to that X-T3 120fps!! And I was impressed with that in the first place.

Wowzers.

Well done Samsung!

DPReview: "Probably the camera's most powerful video feature is the Movie Silent Control mode"

EH?!

DPReview: "Like the GH5S though, the X-T3 has no in-body image stabilization, which is realistically going to limit you to using a tripod or gimbal if you want to get anything like the camera's full resolution in your footage, since in-lens stabilization can't provide effective correction for video shooting."

Since when does OIS on the lens reduce resolution? I am very confused by that!! Even at 1/50 with OIS you're going to get a pristine 4K image and if not, then 1/200 won't have ANY motion blur from handheld shooting with OIS.

I remember back in the day, when the X-T1 came out. It felt like they did video, because there just needed to be a video option on every camera. They even had a dedicated recording button, something people complained about, so they made it customizable. 

Before firmware 2 came along, you couldn't even change exposure while recording. To be honest, nobody cared because the image quality was terrible with lots of aliasing. While they kept improving it with firmwareupdates it was never really usable.

2 years later they showed, that they listen to their customers. The X-T2 had very nice image quality. A year later, with the X-H1 they showed even more dedication, with an own film simulation as nice starting point for grading, 200Mbit/s, linear focusing and the introduction of their MK cine lenses for X mount. 

And now, 9 months later the X-T3 is another milestone. I guess we will see firmwareupdates (HLG is already on the horizon) and I am really looking forward to what they will come up with 

• Administrators

Nah, it's not.

The X-T3 sensor has an X-trans CFA which is Fuji property, so the chip cannot be listed for sale off the shelf by Sony without violating Fuji's intellectual property and patents.

They list a 20MP sensor with full pixel readout at 60fps. (IMX272). That one is capable of 4K/60p like on the GH5 from full pixel readout. The one at 16fps is NOT.

Sony 26MP APS-C sensor speed is listed at 16fps in full pixel readout.

X-T3 sensor has full pixel readout in 4K at up to 30fps. No crop. Full width. That is over 6K.

Considerably faster than the Sony specs quoted on their site.

Let's not forget the 4K/60p. Have fun turning 16fps into 60fps!! That is a full pixel readout as well with a small crop of the sensor, yet the Sony 26MP chip can do a maximum full pixel readout of the whole sensor at just 16fps. That does not translate into 4K/60p on the X-T3 in any way, shape or form.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nah, it's not.

The Fuji sensor has an X-trans CFA which is Fuji's property, so the chip cannot be listed for sale off the shelf by Sony without violating Fuji's IP.

Sony 26MP APS-C sensor readout speed is listed at 19fps at full resolution.

The Fuji X-T3 sensor readout is much faster.

Full pixel readout at up to 30fps (over 6K res) and 60fps for 4K with that slight crop of the sensor readout. The Sony chip at 19fps full res, just isn't fast enough to enable  4K/60p from that 'almost' full sensor resolution readout.

Come on Andrew, the NDA lift was yesterday. Fuji staff has confirmed X-T3 uses IMX571 on Weibo.

Sony sold the sensor to Fuji and made the CFA on top of the sensor to Fuji's specification.

The difference in readout speed is simply caused by bitdepth. The quoted 19fps resolution is at full 14bit. The sensor can also operate at 12bit and 10bit.

• Administrators

I don't trust Chinese "Fuji staff" talking on Weibo!! That doesn't tend to be how the Japanese operate!

Maybe you are right about the bit-depth though.

I have an open mind about it. Willing to change my opinion. My opinion at the moment though, is still that it is a Samsung sensor.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes they actually went from bottom of the pile to first in 4 years.

Seems like the X-T3 even captures more detail than the NX1.
Wish they would have dialed down sharpening in the comparison to make it smoother.

Hopefully Slashcam will do a test as well, they usually include standard vs. all the way down sharpening samples.

Edit:
Even the 4k 60p looks great!

11 minutes ago, deezid said:

Seems like the X-T3 even captures more detail than the NX1.
Wish they would have dialed down sharpening in the comparison to make it smoother.

Hopefully Slashcam will do a test as well, they usually include standard vs. all the way down sharpening samples.

Edit:
Even the 4k 60p looks great!

Yeah I wonder how the 1080p is derived from 6K, the image is sharp but has heavy aliasing. Looks like a combo of pixelbinning and lineskipping.