First test of Magic Lantern on the Canon EOS R by EOSHD and A1ex

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just an idea, would it not be possible to estimate it by shooting in continuous mode, waiting for the buffer to fill up and then once it slows down estimate how long it takes to move those files from the buffer to the card?

Provided you have fast enough SD card which is not going to be a bottleneck you would be able to estimate the speed of the controller.

===========

Wikipedia:

UHS-II

Specified in version 4.0, further raises the data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full duplex) or 312 MB/s (half duplex) using an additional row of pins[33][34] (a total of 17 pins for full-size and 16 pins for micro-size cards).[29]

===========

312MB/s half duplex is the theoretical limit which is not bad...knowing Canon though :/...

I was thinking about this and it will be interesting to use Canon Log as a picture profile with ML Raw. Does the eos-r have a Canon Log monitor LUT? Too bad there’s only one card slot. One of the best aspects of running ML on the 5D3 is the ability to have the FW on an SD card that you just leave in the camera. With the EOS-R, every card will need a copy of the firmware.

Also @Andrew Reid I usually use ProLost Flat or Monochrome as a PP in my 5D3, and I understand the conversion process well enough to know what my final outcome would be but I was curious how EOSHD Log would work as a PP? Have you tested it? 

Then I was thinking about the Resolve conversion to BMDFilm and wondered if it is possible to create an EOSHD Log to BMDFilm conversion PP with a possible conversion PP of EOSHD Log-BMDFilm-Rec709 to be used as a viewing LUT/PP for ML Raw? It’s probably more time consuming than it’s worth for you but it could be an interesting tool for exposure. 

@Andrew Reid I wish you could convince the guys at Magic Lantern to do something for the Panasonic Cameras too. Maybe any super compressed RAW like BRAW, or some 10-bit codec on cameras apart from the GH line but with more dynamic range than the VLog (which isn't really pushing it enough).

I wonder if Cineform can be installed on Panasonic Cameras since it claims to be Open Source now. Also the compression ratio is huge, going all the way till10:1 and possibly Beyond ("10:1 and 4:1 are typical, greater ranges are possible"). Also the range of codecs that can be encoded in the 10-bit wrapper is amazing (including a 16-bit 4-2-2 one).

Maybe that will help push up the curiosity for Panasonic Cameras like the GH2 hack did, at its peak. 

PS: A certain middle eastern connoisseur and master of technology (and of financial sleight of hand of the most ingenious type) seems to be looking forward the Canon R ML Hack ???

20181020_102941.png

On 10/18/2018 at 5:22 AM, Shield3 said:

Won't the card write speed ultimately be the shortcoming here?

Not necessarily..  The SD controller hack made a huge difference to previous cameras, doubling or more the write speed of the card slot.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:42 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Who knows? Latest UHS-II spec SD cards are very speedy. No idea what controller is on the EOS R.

I think either way it's likely to be a good result.  New and fancy controllers will be pretty fast, but if they use an older one then ML will probably have seen it before, and perhaps already hacked it to go faster.

5 hours ago, Django said:

So how far are we to an actual ML port? (i know they don't provide ETAs, just curious how many steps/hurdles are still in the way)

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that there are an unknown number of challenges waiting for them, depending on what Canon have changed in the camera.  Also, considering that many of the problems seem to be brute-forced (where they setup a script to try every combination of values for a range of settings) which might crash, that combination of values be removed from the test, and need to be restarted again, also an unknown number of times.  The combination of which is that there will be an unknown number of problems and each problem will take an unknown amount of time to be fixed.

Add to that the personal schedules of people like A1ex who do a lot of the ground-work, and you have more variables again.  We might be building up an awareness of how long other ports have taken, but it's not a fine art.

Plus, no idea how hostile Canon are to the team, but I wouldn't rule out Canon putting in roadblocks deliberately.  Business is war after all.

• Administrators

Yup still an unknown number of challenges, so putting an ETA on a reverse engineering project just doesn't make sense. It's not like they have the firmware all mapped out in front of them and a full time work schedule based on Monday to Friday :)

Again wasn't asking at all for an ETA, i fully realize the nature of the project and limited dev resources.

Just curious what the next steps are towards porting ML. I know they've made recent progress with the 5D4 (and Digic 7/8 models), succesfully extracting 4K DNGs etc.