Top 6 videos on EOS R with combined 2 million views and not a single mention of the rolling shutter in 4K

Andrew Reid

On 10/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, Andrew Reid said:

even if it had an unknown Norwegian logo featuring a dead moose, I'd still do the same thing.

Hey! I'm Norwegian & I resemble this remark!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@Mattias Burling I'll be banned shortly, but want you to know I appreciate your comments.

This is how jon imagines his situation on the forum these days and how its ending ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I just did a test for myself of the Z7 vs EOS R and the Z7 is nowhere near as bad.

That is both in 4K (full frame on Z7).

I could share it, but you don't deserve it :)

The rolling shutter in this video looks just as bad in 4K as the one you posted on the eos r, why won't you show your comparison result? 

If you place the z7 framegrab on top of your eos r test, the z7 is even a bit worse, this ofcourse is no conclusive test as the rs depends on the panspeed and they are different in both videos, that's why it's important you show your comparison result considering you have both camera's.

RS.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 9:11 AM, KnightsFan said:

NX1 is around 8ms in 1080p, according to that DVXuser thread, which is right near the maximum you can have for 120p.

I bet that's a really difficult problem to solve. It might be straightforward on whip pans across static scenery, but I don't see how a camera would be able to correct a fast moving object across the frame, in real time. Or correct for a fast zoom, where you can see zooming on half the image before the other.

What if the panning speed varies? You'd need an accelerometer to collect that data. But even that still could not correct moving items in the scene itself, such as a train passing by. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What if the panning speed varies? You'd need an accelerometer to collect that data. But even that still could not correct moving items in the scene itself, such as a train passing by. 

Exactly. I can't see any in-camera algorithm to de-roll the shutter ever appearing. You'd need to do frame interpolation, but at a different amount for each line of pixels. It's probably easier, cheaper, and more accurate to just use a faster processor.

I'm familiar with Kai W's work and among some others are photography based Youtube channels and is unfair assessment of their work. Rolling shutter is not as important to a still photographer ( Perhaps along with cropped 4K video ) Seems you already made a mistake with Kai W not mentioning rolling shutter, but still want to state he doesn't mention it enough even though he's mostly into street photography/portraits/landscape. It's fair game if you want to criticize video centric channels for DSLR video reviews.   This is just a friendly reminder from a fellow youtuber such as myself.

• Administrators

Kai has put it right now with the proper review.

He's always done both stills and video side in the videos.

The point is, initial info was missing during camera launch, swept under the rug by the marketing machine. Only now are we finally aware of several major flaws.

Too late for those 2 million viewers, in my opinion.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:42 AM, dantheman said:

If you place the z7 framegrab on top of your eos r test, the z7 is even a bit worse, this ofcourse is no conclusive test as the rs depends on the panspeed and they are different in both videos, that's why it's important you show your comparison result considering you have both camera's.

What kind of bullshit comment... You contradict yourself in the same breath. You're right, it's not a valid comparison. So why make one. Unless the pan speed, FOV and video mode are identical on both cameras, you may as well post a picture of a teletubby.

17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Too late for those 2 million viewers, in my opinion.

Honestly, if someone goes out and drops $2500+ on a camera based solely on the opinions of reviewers who have only had it for a few hours that's their own fault. Either then have no common sense, or they have more money than brains!

48 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

Honestly, if someone goes out and drops $2500+ on a camera based solely on the opinions of reviewers who have only had it for a few hours that's their own fault. Either then have no common sense, or they have more money than brains!

If you take a look at DSLR video shooter he said they were allowed to take them home for 6 weeks to test it out. Yes, they had to send them back. He also mentioned Canon did not pay him for his video or future videos and his comments were his own.