Top 6 videos on EOS R with combined 2 million views and not a single mention of the rolling shutter in 4K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yeah but let's not forget the a6300 which is way worse. Im not saying that makes it right, it doesn't. But we shouldn't let the others of the hook just because we found a fresher fish.

EDIT: forgot about the NX1 (easily done these days :) ), equally bad or even worse.

Sony A6300 was released 2 1/2 years ago, you can buy 5 of them for one EOS-R, and it has less of a crop

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I thought it was a 1.8x crop? That's not full frame, that's closer to micro four thirds. 

No but it can shoot full frame HD as well as full frame stills. None of the cheap 4k/60p cameras can. It was just my suggestion on "why".

17 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Sony A6300 was released 2 1/2 years ago, you can buy 5 of them for one EOS-R, and it has less of a crop

Doesn't change the fact, rolling shutter in the EOS-R, a6300, NX1, etc, sucks no matter when it was released.

Returning to the theme of the article, bloggers/youtubers are getting a free meal today, but I am not sure they are destroying the online-review world either. The final client just want something easy to value their next purchase. Now that megabytes on sensor is dead, this too-nice-to-be-true reviews are what the doctors ordered, unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

No but it can shoot full frame HD as well as full frame stills. None of the cheap 4k/60p cameras can. It was just my suggestion on "why".

Doesn't change the fact.

is a silly argument but no excuse to be releasing a camera with such appalling  wobble for so much money in autumn 2018. 

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

You said: "No but it can shoot full frame HD as well as full frame stills. None of the cheap 4k/60p cameras can." Implying that it is somehow a feature to be noted. 

No I didn't. Read the posts again without defensive glasses on. I was just answering "why" I think they haven't bothered.

With your logic I could say that you are implying that no still photographer is using full frame. But I wouldn't because its an open discussion and not a battle.

6 minutes ago, ade towell said:

is a silly argument 

Its not an argument nor an excuse. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Well at least until the Panasonic S1 and S1R come out, but their Achilles heel is still likely going to be the AF - especially via an adapter to Canon EF.

I really think the EOS R is going to please a lot of people... and upset an equal amount as well.... both perspectives are equally right depending on who you are and what you need from the camera.

Doesn't change the fact, rolling shutter in the EOS-R, a6300, NX1, etc, sucks no matter when it was released.

Correct, doesn't change the fact. However as time passes you expect constant improvement. Canon are infamous for refusing to give us that. They used the same sensor in some of the APS-C cameras for 7 years! Speaking purely in a technological sense, to give you an idea of how much slower Canon's sensor is, that 30ms is a readout of 2160 lines and 3840 columns. Whereas on the NX1 4 years ago, the readout is 3648 lines, 6480 columns!! Quite a bit more to read in one sweep. If that had a 1:1 crop mode of 3840 x 2160 instead of doing the full-width full-pixel readout at 6.4K, it would have far less jello than the EOS R.

The A6300 again is doing a 6K readout so it's processing much more data than the EOS R in the same time it takes the EOS R to do 4K, it is doing 6K.

So Canon have technological problems but actually they don't because the 1D X Mark II does 4K 60p and for that you need sub-17ms rolling shutter, so they have a sensor which is fast enough to avoid the worst rolling shutter issues on the market. It is also a problem in silent stills mode on the EOS R as well so not just a video limitation.

So they caught up but won't give it us. How cynical is that!?

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well at least until the Panasonic S1 and S1R come out, but their 

Really looking forward to seeing what they cook up :)

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So they caught up but won't give it us. How cynical is that!?

Most businesses decisions in all companies, canon included, are based on $$$ :)

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

yeah but this one is actually losing them $$$$$

They lost £3100 from me when I wanted to buy the 28-70mm F2.0 for 4K.

Calculated risk? :)

If they had given it to you, you might have spent zero dollars since the house would have been to expensive. Just a theory.

All I know from interviews is that they are very long term. Someone quoted a Canon rep saying something like, "We didn't spend the money and effort on the RF.mount just to make the EOS-R".

There will most likely be more to come.

• Administrators

Sure there will, but how will they make it any good without fucking Cinema EOS sales?

Or, if (like Sony) it turns out NOT to screw the Cinema sales why not just make the first one have competitive video already?

Because they want to sell us an upgrade later, is the likely answer!!

1 hour ago, forofilms said:

Releasing a camera in October 2018 and not include 4K 60p is DOA in my opinion. I can accept the crop, single card slot and RS, but not the lack of 60p. Not when other cheaper cameras are offering it. 

What, so you would be ok with that level of RS if it had 4k 60p... That's crazy, I would prefer an A73 or Nikon z6/7 to that anyday, at least 90% of my shot are not slowmotion and this thing would need to be static on stick to be anything usable.

49 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Returning to the theme of the article, bloggers/youtubers are getting a free meal today, but I am not sure they are destroying the online-review world either. The final client just want something easy to value their next purchase. Now that megabytes on sensor is dead, this too-nice-to-be-true reviews are what the doctors ordered, unfortunately.

The real issue is that a lot of the top reviewers are gear stokers who cream their pants as soon as they get their hands on something new. They advocate  pathetic and rampant consumerism.