I want to make my a6500 my B cam

DanielVranic

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So, I tried out an Xt3 last night for over an hour. Love the feel of the camera, solid and was a great piece. Video was nice. 265 was a bit of a dog to edit.

Price wise, the BMPCC4k would be significantly cheaper for me. But trying to follow the thread dedicated to that camera has been frustrating with personal insults and lots of people just being shitty. So I can not tell if there are actual issues with the camera or not. That seems it might be my best option.

4 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

So I can not tell if there are actual issues with the camera or not.

There isn't. So long as you're happy with what you get (raw/ProRes with BMD imagery and the GH5S sensor) and happy with the obvious compromises (no IBIS, no stills performance, no flip out screen, no worthwhile video AF, etc) then go for the BMPCC4K

On 10/19/2018 at 6:05 AM, DanielVranic said:

Price wise, the BMPCC4k would be significantly cheaper for me. But trying to follow the thread dedicated to that camera has been frustrating with personal insults and lots of people just being shitty. So I can not tell if there are actual issues with the camera or not. That seems it might be my best option.

Yeah, forum threads aren't really effective archives.

Further to what @IronFilm has already said, I'd recommend watching two or three of those "first look" videos to get a sense of the weaknesses, and then perhaps do a bit of googling around any specific features that you find critical to your work.

My impression of the feedback around the BMPCC4K is similar to the original BMPCC - its a camera that does well in a rig with lots of external things (like all cinema cameras) and makes a great image if that style of shooting suits you.  If you're looking for a camera that can be used as a complete package with only a lens and a mic thrown on there then a hybrid is probably going to work better for you.

28 minutes ago, kye said:

My impression of the feedback around the BMPCC4K is similar to the original BMPCC - its a camera that does well in a rig with lots of external things (like all cinema cameras) and makes a great image if that style of shooting suits you.  If you're looking for a camera that can be used as a complete package with only a lens and a mic thrown on there then a hybrid is probably going to work better for you.

I've shot an awful lot with my BMPCC with only a small BP-U30 mounted on the top. 
But then again my friend's BMPCC usually is shot in a big rig with even a V Mount Battery to power everything. 

Depends on the person, it can be whatever you want it to be. 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I've shot an awful lot with my BMPCC with only a small BP-U30 mounted on the top. 
But then again my friend's BMPCC usually is shot in a big rig with even a V Mount Battery to power everything. 

Depends on the person, it can be whatever you want it to be. 

That's what I like about the form-factor of it and the P4K, but hanging around here you'd think that a camera has to have 27 hour battery life to be able to even turn on, thus my reality check rant in the P4K thread.

Of course the other limitation is the noisy audio.  But it depends on what you're shooting - B-roll would be fine of course.  Knowing you, you'd probably have an external audio setup larger than the camera!

13 hours ago, kye said:

Of course the other limitation is the noisy audio.  But it depends on what you're shooting - B-roll would be fine of course.  Knowing you, you'd probably have an external audio setup larger than the camera!

Heh, I would roll with an Aputure A.Lav plugged straight into my BMPCC for my YouTube vlogs! Although I've since switched to using my Panasonic G6 a little more often instead and it seems to have somewhat slightly better audio than the BMPCC (certainly better the Nikon D5200, is one reason I stopped using it, the other being it was just so big and heavy for one handed usage with my arm full stretched out for extended lengths of time. While the G6 + SLR Magic 8mm is a wonderfully compact and lightweight set up)

If it is unpaid personal work then often my lazy/pragmatic side will take over! Thus why for my YT vlog I'm quite happy going straight to camera. 
(Vs if it is paid professional work, then of course I'll go hard to deliver the best possible for the client)

So, I have heard the BO waitlist for the P4K is mid-next year, if I was to order it now?

Are there camera companies out there who place an order and then don't charge until the item ships? I would want to get in line, but I have gigs coming up end of this year, early next that would be reaaaaaaaally nice to have the P4K for,.