Convince me to don't buy GH5s - 2.5K budget

Joowe

Hi.

I need a new video camera for 2.5K budget, body only.

Something like GH5S but better.

I don't need ibis,  auto focus or low light capability.

I need nice crisp colours after Luts.

Lenses, no problem, I have nice FF adaptable.

Coly

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Joowe said:

Hi.

I need nice crisp colours after Luts.

Lenses, no problem, I have nice FF adaptable.

Coly

Hi Coly:

See you listed a few things that you DON'T need. That is helpful.

And you mentioned that you needed crisp colours when using LUTs. That is helpful too.

Is there anything else that you DO need? 4K at 60p? 120 fps? A screen that flips out? XLR Mic Inputs? 10-Bit? RAW?

And when you say, "Something like GH5S but better," how should it be better than the GH5S??? Better colours? Better user interface? Better ergonomics? Better dynamic range?

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

One thing I keep coming back to is how expensive crop sensor lenses are. FF really is a money saver due to years and years of lenses on the used market.

Crop Lenses are also more expensive than their FF counterparts, as they need to be better optically.

A good article with more information than i want to type.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-quality-mtf-resolution.htm

Cropped vs. Full Frame Sensors. One needs to be extra careful when comparing MTF charts amongst cameras with different sensor sizes. For example, an MTF curve at 30 LP/mm on a full frame camera is not equivalent to a different 30 LP/mm MTF curve on a 1.6X cropped sensor. The cropped sensor would instead need to show a curve at 48 LP/mm for a fair comparison, because the cropped sensor gets enlarged more when being made into the same size print.

The diversity of sensor sizes is why some have started listing the line frequency in terms of the picture or image height (LP/PH or LP/IH), as opposed to using an absolute unit like a millimeter. A line frequency of 1000 LP/PH, for example, has the same appearance at a given print size — regardless of the size of the camera's sensor. One would suspect that part of the reason manufacturers keep showing MTF charts at 10 and 30 LP/mm for DX, EF-S and other cropped sensor lenses is because this makes their MTF charts look better.

6 hours ago, Joowe said:

Hi.

Z Cam E2 / BMPCC4K / GH5 (original) / Fujifilm X-T3 / Nikon Z6 are all solid choices to keep your eye on. 

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I currently have three kits under evaluation. A full frame, an APS-C and m4/3. One thing I keep coming back to is how expensive crop sensor lenses are. FF really is a money saver due to years and years of lenses on the used market.

Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 + Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 is a good three lens set at a reasonable price for anybody shooting on a S35/MFT camera. 

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I see it overpriced when there's P4K and you admit you have no need for AF nor IBIS : -)

Or Battery life, or Flippy Screen, or Anamorphic, or a EVF, or, 240fps, on and on. It is a pretty damn good option, and now not a lot more than the cost of a PK4. The PK4 is not going to be some fast action, move around camera. It is going to be a turd to setup and tear down, on sticks a lot machine. Now nothing wrong with that. But the GH5s is a Lot more of a mobile camera, with a lot less needed to make it happen. Sure the PK4 will probably have a better output, but at what cost and convenience to get it.

Really would be nice to have both. It could be done I guess. I can see a lot of the PK4's being resold for a pretty good price down the road. It is not a camera that works in reality for a lot of people.

And to editing BRAW, sure it is space saving as heck, but it still is something you have to edit big time. That will not be easy to do for a lot of people. If you want the best sure go PK4 for output, but for just getting the job done and moving on, the GH5s is going to be the way to go over the BM.

You got a lot of options and you have to consider your budget. I got a used GH5s for 1750usd so it was a no brainer for me at that time to pair it with my GH5 which I bought for more. I suggest you take a look at the P4K plus accessories + lights for your budget. But if you're going for run & gun, a used GH5 will fit the budget. GH5s is too shaky for run & gun but boy is it great for low light

It depends entirely on your specific needs.

GH5 - Run n gun (IBIS), video workhorse (long recording, xlrs, batteries, dc in etc), adaptability (lenses), dual slot on cheapish SDs (important when you can't repeat a shot)

GH5s - Same as above but trading lowlight for IBIS

PK4 - probably very nice for jobs where you can take your time setting up etc and want to grade a lot. Great price

Fuji - vey nice look out of camera. Dunno if it can be used heavy duty style like the GH5

Sony a7iii - FF, lowlight

Sounds like you might want the PK4 if LUTs etc are a big thing.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

It depends entirely on your specific needs.

GH5 - Run n gun (IBIS), video workhorse (long recording, xlrs, batteries, dc in etc), adaptability (lenses), dual slot on cheapish SDs (important when you can't repeat a shot)

GH5s - Same as above but trading lowlight for IBIS

The GH5(s) doesn't have XLR, only with an expensive and bulky adapter. Also 400mbit doesn't work on V30 cards while it does work fine on the X-T3. For the nicest color V-Log L using proper color management or ARRI luts by @Sage are the way to go. Also a big problem: Oversharpening of even noise especially in shadow areas... So add lots of diffusion if a cinematic look is your thing.

PK4 - probably very nice for jobs where you can take your time setting up etc and want to grade a lot. Great price

The P4K has XLR btw. You can use extended video (internally or as a lut or even RAW interpretation) for fast delivery with actually really nice colors and a very natural looking image with great dynamic range - but prone to aliasing and even moire in RAW video.

Fuji - vey nice look out of camera. Dunno if it can be used heavy duty style like the GH5

The GH5 still has the advantage here. The X-T3 competes more with the Pocket 4K with it's 10 bit even at 4K60 and 1080p120 - and bad battery life...
Eterna looks amazing out of camera. Low light looks better to me than the A73 which suffers a lot by its nasty noise reduction which produces lots of artifacts and eliminates low contrast detail entirely.

4 hours ago, deezid said:

The GH5(s) doesn't have XLR, only with an expensive and bulky adapter. Also 400mbit doesn't work on V30 cards while it does work fine on the X-T3. For the nicest color V-Log L using proper color management or ARRI luts by @Sage are the way to go. Also a big problem: Oversharpening of even noise especially in shadow areas... So add lots of diffusion if a cinematic look is your thing.

Dunno if i'd call the XLR unit bulky although it's isn't cheap. Works very well mind. Anyway, what I was trying to say is the GH5 is a great all rounder and can used as if it were a more traditional video camera if that's your thing.

4 hours ago, deezid said:

The P4K has XLR btw. You can use extended video (internally or as a lut or even RAW interpretation) for fast delivery with actually really nice colors and a very natural looking image with great dynamic range - but prone to aliasing and even moire in RAW video.

Forgot about the mini XLR. It's a big bonus.

Anyway, for the poster it still comes down to what his needs are as each camera has different strong and weak points.