Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

But still this would sell like hotcakes. I def will get one unless they are 20k.

This is c700 territory. Seems like $20k is a little low. Canon certainly isn’t going to sell a Global shutter camera with this spec sheet for $4000. The 1dc was what, $15,000 when it was released? 

Chris

15 hours ago, Django said:

And as expensive as $30K+ is, that used to be the cheapest "full frame" 10bit / raw camera you could buy!

Until the Kinefinity Mavo LF came along for $10K

And then the Nikon Z7/Z6 for US$2K (for the Z6 that is, but needs an external recorder).

One thing I haven't seen a fix for yet, is the random disappearance of all information/focusing square on the screen/evf. Many people have reported it, I even called canon and told them in October. It will vanish for up to 12 seconds, then come back. I usually just would turn the camera off and on again. 

The rolling shutter in 4k really kills it, even if you use their new 24-105 with IS @24mm, it is quite noticeable. Tripod camera with 4k shooting. I also had 2 white hot pixels on my 4k footage from NYC, that was irritating. The usability of the camera is quite annoying compared to any pro canon camera as well. I also found terrible color banding as early as 0.8 stops exposure increase that was very noticeable. Seems to happen more under artificial lighting, I would say that around 85% of my images were completely unaffected by banding. 

That being said; I will probably end up buying one again until they release the pro mirrorless body. The 1080p 60p is very ugly IMO, but the 24p in 1080 & 4k is beautiful. Having a second body to my 1DX is nice and it takes good enough photos for travel. I cannot stress how much I hate using the 1DX in public, especially on a gimbal, it draws so much unwanted attention. In my home state, I can carry a pistol & it is quite common, so the chances of being robbed are extremely low. When I fly to other states, I do not have that luxury, been stalked many times with the 1DX out, zero with smaller cameras haha.  Just don't expect to film everything in 4k (especially on the go) & bracket high contrasting scenes, then you'll be fine with this small camera. 

• 1 month later...

Minor Firmware update but seems to address the various banding/bugs case issues @Snowbro has been complaining about:

Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes. 
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal. 

EOS R Firmware Version 1.1.0

• 2 weeks later...

shout out to @Mattias Burling for covering the new Kipon Elegant prime lens series for RF & Z mounts:

How does the lens perform for video? is the aperture ring smooth? is there any contact info recognized by EOS R (F-stop, focal range, metering etc)?

Also is that an RF to Minolta speedbooster at 00:30 ?! How close do you get to FF in 4K when using it? What's the optical quality like?

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Django said:

How does the lens perform for video?

It works fine, image looks good. The IS isn't as good as with native glass and you don't get the arrows for focusing but the peaking is enough given that its f2.4 at the fastest.

is there any contact info recognized by EOS R (F-stop, focal range, metering etc)?

No. The meter still works as expected and aperture priority, etc. But no data so there is no indication of lens used in the exif.

Also is that an RF to Minolta speedbooster at 00:30 ?

No its a Medium Format speedboster :)

How close do you get to FF in 4K when using it?

Don't know, Ive never tried the 4K setting. In FF the crop factor of the camera with the reducer is x0.7 so I guess deduct that from what ever the 4K crop is.

What's the optical quality like?

With my MF glass like the 80mm f1.9 its best described as "Epic" and with my new favorite, the 150mm f3.5 its "Pure Class" :) 

37 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Don't know, Ive never tried the 4K setting. In FF the crop factor of the camera with the reducer is x0.7 so I guess deduct that from what ever the 4K crop is.

Haha.. LOL at you never trying 4K setting yet ? (4K crop is 1.74x btw)

You could just enable Movie crop mode in FHD to get an idea of the FoV..? ;) 

No its a Medium Format speedboster 

Cool, although slightly disappointed Kipon isn't making EF / Nikon F to RF speedboosters (yet?).

I guess EOS R 4K users aren't really on their radar. Would be great to get rid of that crop.

Btw, that's the Mamiya 645 speedbooster right?

With my MF glass like the 80mm f1.9 its best described as "Epic" and with my new favorite, the 150mm f3.5 its "Pure Class" :) 

That does sound pretty sweet.. please make a video reviewing that configuration or at least post some pics!

Would be cool to see some video footage as well... MF lens video is still something quite rare.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Django said:

Cool, although slightly disappointed Kipon isn't making EF / Nikon F to RF speedboosters (yet?).

I can ask them about it. They make so many adapters its crazy. For the R and Z its over 100 different adapter combinations in the pipe so far..!
And they do crazy stuff like the CaNikon adapter for EF to Z.. say what! :)

4 minutes ago, Django said:

Btw, that's the Mamiya 645 speedbooster right?

Yup, just like the one I already reviewed but with Canon Colors and crisp video instead of the imo usable, but so and so A7 HD.

5 minutes ago, Django said:

That does sound pretty sweet.. please make a video reviewing that configuration or at least post some pics!

Would be cool to see some video footage as well... MF lens video is still something quite rare.

I plan to do all that, just need to shoot with it for a while. I plan on bringing it to a world cup horse jumping competition, that could be fun.

15 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I can ask them about it. They make so many adapters its crazy. For the R and Z its over 100 different adapter combinations in the pipe so far..!
And they do crazy stuff like the CaNikon adapter for EF to Z.. say what! :)

YES! Please ask them if they have or will consider FF speedboosters for EOS R in order to rid the 4K crop!

I think most EOS R video users would buy that and it could even boost some camera sales!

I have noticed the price of their speedboosters has substantially increased ($700 for those MF ones) but the quality also seems to have greatly improved in their Mk2 versions

20190221230224143.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, just like the one I already reviewed but with Canon Colors and crisp video instead of the imo usable, but so and so A7 HD.

I plan to do all that, just need to shoot with it for a while. I plan on bringing it to a world cup horse jumping competition, that could be fun.

Looking on FlickR right now at those Mamiya lenses you mentioned using has got me excited at the possible rendition on a Canon, good times! :) 

• Super Members
On 2/25/2019 at 4:36 PM, Django said:

Stay tuned ;)

On 2/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, Django said:

YES! Please ask them if they have or will consider FF speedboosters for EOS R in order to rid the 4K crop!

If so, what mount would you prefer? Im thinking EF since well EF, but also adaptable to Nikon, C/Y, Pentax K and m42.

• Super Members

In this stage its uncertain if such an adapter would have electronics. For me that would make almost no difference but thought I would mention it so there are reasonable expectations. However, that Comlite has a third party adapter with electronics, that works flawlessly btw, is a good sign.