Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Andrew Reid

18 hours ago, ade towell said:

Thanks for that, am presuming the DR in clog is a similar 12 stops as C100?

Is the full frame hd quality pretty sharp as well then, and much better RS than crop mode?

DR in C-log should be similar, haven't actually tested it out though..

The FF FHD is pretty sharp.. for Canon DSLR standards. YMMV ?

The RS however is definitely much improved over the 4K/Crop modes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Had some more time to play with it the past days and ended up picking one up. 

I tried different recording modes, 4k and what not, and even with ALL-I, my 32GB SD card was full in no time. That was a pretty big eye opener that I don't have the space to correctly handle 4k at the moment. 

The customization options are pretty insane. You can rebind almost everything twice, for video and photos so over time the camera got more and more customized to exactly how I need it. As odd as this sounds, I i even start to like the mode dial and now prefer it over the physical dial of my previous cameras. 

M-fn bar is also not that bad. I like that it's a 2-step lock: You have to hold the left side of it first for 2s, then it unlocks and you can either slide and use each of the sides individually. It's like a dial with 2 buttons, with a safety on top. I have functions on it that I need sometimes, but frequently enough for it to be annoying to go through the menus (change AF zones, or ISO for example). You can also cover it completely with one finger to bring up the settings menu for it, to quickly put something else on it if needed. 

Still very salty about 120fps though, but makes me have higher hopes for the next cameras. (The rumored high-res model sounds nice, but it'll likely be less interesting for video folks)

It's what it is. For my needs it's the right camera, but it's obvious that canon is lacking behind and need to do some serious catch-up work. The Panasonic FF cameras and a7sIII will probably be another big leap. 

On 10/31/2018 at 3:09 AM, Mattias Burling said:

No RS what so ever in my handheld HD footage. I use the IS at all times and still the footage looks awesome when done.
I also watched some of it on my 42" Samsung LCD which has its sharpness turned down, but still in true Samsung fashion ads a lot of it.
Soft and/or low detail are not words I can use to describe it. Its sharp and detailed.

Skin tones.... Pure class.

Reviewing my footage from NY with the Eos R, I found 2 huge white hot pixels in all the footage. I was shooting in 4k; didn't notice it in photos. That is a deal breaker for this body for me, its going back. Has anyone else had this problem with theirs? 

Wow that is crazy as heck! I just read it on the web on the Canon rumors site. Maybe I have been hacked LoL.

How about maybe this rumor.

https://www.canonrumors.com/page/2/

Hell I give up same thing on a different rumor that there is going to be a RF mount Eos Cine camera like hte C100 body.

Maybe Andrew is pushing hard to sell his Z7 LuT!

53 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks like they fixed the headline but...

this page 2 link STILL points to EOSHD!

What game is going on here?

WTF?!

I have no clue. Trust me all I did was try to link it. Both of them. My computer on this end does not seem any different than before. Only problem I have had is these links?

But I do go to an amazing amount of websites a day. I can speed read so the more the Merrier. So I might have got some goofy bug on my computer? But I have done different links on here since I think and they work as usual. I run 5 different programs a night on my computer for virus, root kits, on and on.

• Administrators

It's not just you. I could go through Google to that Canon Rumors news post about the Sony sensor and it would bounce me straight back to EOSHD.

I have no ad cookies on this site or tracking cookies, it's just images and text, so what is going on at Canon Rumors to direct people here through what I assume is an error on their site? Deeply suspicious.

• 2 weeks later...