Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Andrew Reid

16 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

If you already have good glass for the Canon R then I think your choice is done, changing system and later probably have to come back is the worst option, also remember, depreciation of Canon cameras is really marginal, you still can see the 5D mark iii around 1,200 - 1,500 USD, which is incredible, also if ML crack together with Andrew the Canon R, you instantly get a more powerfull camera at $0 cost....

Do you think ML for the eos r is a real possibility before a new body is released?
It would be awesome but buying a body thinking in a ML release is like betting in the lottery. 
But again, I believe I will eventually buy the eos r, same battery, same color science, it will make things easier, and it's also a great camera in the end. 
We already have the adaptor that works great, so even if in one year from now they release a pro body w/ video pro features, the adaptor need to work the same, in the future we will have the drop in nd filter adaptor too, so almost a cinema camera. 
In the other side there's the x-t3 that after the h-2/x-t4 it will drop the price A LOT, probably, and heck, it's already cheap. 
I never thought that I would think a cheap camera actually is something bad, but thinking in value retain, it kinda is.
I believe I am a little more inclined now, thank you! ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/19/2018 at 12:33 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Viltrox to the rescue. They are both cheaper and sharper in the side by sides I've seen. And it probably has their imo genius focus adjustment. 

https://www.canonwatch.com/its-finally-coming-viltrox-0-71x-speed-booster-for-the-canon-eos-m-system/

Good news for EOS M owners, but way too late for me; I've gotten rid of all my Canon lenses, and am putting my last two bits of Canon gear up on eBay later today; I'm done with this company.

Going forward for me, it's likely to be the Pocket 4K for straight-up video work, or Fuji for hybrid. I was pretty shocked at Fuji's progress with the X-T3. I'll probably wait for the X-H2, though, to separate it enough from the Pocket 4K. I just hope they add a fully articulating screen. I don't know why all the companies are being so stupid about that. Even Panasonic has apparently gone off their rocker in that regard with the S1/S1R. SMH.

• Super Members

Had another in house video gig today (portrait of a person and her profession). Used the EOS-R with mostly the 50/1.8 and my regular goto 28/1.8. All handheld with the digital IS. Everything went great, the camera delivered. The natural profile really is filmic in the right type if light. 

As always Im using the Xume adapter so my ND can quickly change lens. But still, really looking forward to the ND adapter. Its gonna be gold.

I use external recording for audio and the cameras internal for scratch. But I must say, the internal mics are really good, as far as internal mics go. I actually noticed it already a month ago with the 6Dmkii. I had an interview made spontaneously with only the internals end up in the finished video. Not because it was good enough, but because it was solid audio. Today it happened again. Guess its another nod from Canon to vloggers.

As always with audio it really isnt about the mic. The placement and location is all that really matter to get good audio, even if its just the internal (maybe someone remembers my old $300 vs $1500 mic comparison).

Another thing I did today was test my good old Godox flash and wireless trigger. Zero issues and the 1/8000 sync works perfectly.

Btw, the shutter sound.. I love it. Its loud compared to my X-H1 which of course is too bad. But the way it sounds is cool. I do however wish it, and all other cameras, would copy Fujis implementation of turning of the EVF sensor as soon as the screen is open.

13 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

If people want to know will sell, just look at this, I am always baffled by that, but thats life, just watched 5 minutes with his photo with the guy selling incent and  was baffled by his photography

why this camera

I don’t understand what you’re saying. “If people understand will sell..” what do you mean? 

Are you impressed by Fro’s photography or do you think it’s bad? 

Personally I’ve never liked Fro. Our preferences are too far apart.  He doesn’t even pretend to understand the benefits of small and light gear and will always push big fast cameras like the D5 with the fastest heaviest lenses. In his review he goes on about the 28-70 f2 and the 50 f 1.2 - lenses that are  impractical for 90% of photographers. 

This first R model is a bit of everything but not enough of each particular part, at least at its current price, which I don't expect to drop, the promised firmware updates should keep it going for a while.

I am waiting for the cheaper model (around 1700$, maybe?) that will surely say goodbye to that touchbar, I wonder if they will leave 4k out as well or only the ALL-I codec and C-Log which are going to be left out.

The cheaper flip touch LCD seems fine for me. But, unfortunately I reckon the EVF will also be crippled down to M50 level, I wouldn't want that.

I think third top model will be the best for video, possibly 1DX II-like sensor with reduced rolling shutter, bigger battery and dual card slots, but it will cost a lot more, like 4000$ or more. I reckon that ND filter adapter will have its more serious uses for the future.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Castorp said:

Personally I’ve never liked Fro. Our preferences are too far apart.  He doesn’t even pretend to understand the benefits of small and light gear and will always push big fast cameras like the D5 with the fastest heaviest lenses. In his review he goes on about the 28-70 f2 and the 50 f 1.2 - lenses that are  impractical for 90% of photographers.

Well that is only typical of pro photographers. The D5 is a great pro camera. I am all for the 28-70 F2 and 50 F1.2, as pro lenses. They are an improvement on two of the most popular EF lenses for pros.

That said, you are also entitled to have different preferences and I am different to Fro as well. I am more interested in the artistic side than the 'get the job done' mentality. I would suffer an old blurry manual focus Arriflex lens on an adapter or an anamorphic just to get a certain look. I don't think Fro would, because he's at the mercy of his clients. That side does not interest me at all.

3 hours ago, padam said:

I think third top model will be the best for video, possibly 1DX II-like sensor with reduced rolling shutter, bigger battery and dual card slots, but it will cost a lot more, like 4000$ or more. I reckon that ND filter adapter will have its more serious uses for the future.

When Canon find out the cluster bomb crater the EOS R has made in their 5DIV and 6DII sales they will swiftly bring out a bunch more models and lenses.

Canon have made their own bestsellers obsolete, which is probably why they put off doing this camera for so long in the first place. They didn't need to, as the previous obsolete cameras were still selling so well.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon have made their own bestsellers obsolete, which is probably why they put off doing this camera for so long in the first place. They didn't need to, as the previous obsolete cameras were still selling so well.

All is relative. In the end, if they manage to improve as much as expected towards the future, it might be the Sony system that can be considered as "obsolete", despite offering all the technology and features in the world, just not having the same "legacy" options for cheaper lenses. or the mount (adapter) and lens design for the "ultimate high-end" quality.

Ok, so here is my opinion on it after having used it for awhile on a trip to NY:

It feels great with a native lens, it is nice to carry around vs a big dslr. It feels pretty solid still. 

24-105 f/4 lens: I thought this could be a perfect lens for travelling given its focal range/IS and reviewers said it was very sharp. I found some big issues with it (unlikely camera but who knows). I took a bunch of pictures overlooking the city in the trade tower, expecting to crop in with 30mp and have decent results. I don't think the IS in this lens is very good, I was at around 50mm for some shots, f/4-f/10 and 100 shutter speed(even 160 shutter was the same) with the "5 stop" IS on. All the images taken with this lens were not impressive IMO, slightly blurry when scaled to 1:1. I had much better results with my 1DX ii with no IS at 50mm and the same settings. No idea if it is something with this camera, I think something is off with it or the lens. Also, it does not detect pan/tilt, so it will stick and jump in video.

Huge focusing issue: In video or stills mode, sometimes it will randomly go into a freezing type mode where your on screen info is gone and you cannot change your focusing point. After 4-10 seconds, all the info comes back on the screen and you can change your focusing point. I called Canon and they had me do a bunch of stuff and it didn't change anything, I think its the processor is too slow or the software is not optimized properly. This happens when no pictures have been taken, or video recording as well. I also tried using the EVF and using my finger to change the focusing point, it was way too slow and unresponsive to use in any sort of pro situation, total joke. 

Flip Screen: I honestly don't like it as much as just a tilt. Especially if you are in an area where someone could walk by and hit the screen and rip it off. I don't like using it flipped out personally, I like it centered with the camera. 

Battery: It lasted as long as my 1DX battery, I was surprised. I kept the screen on most of the time and took videos/photos non stop and it ran like a champ. 

Switching Modes: Before flying out to NY, I tested switching between photo and video. It didn't seem like a deal breaker, but having used it in situations where I needed to do it fairly quick before moving, it was very annoying. The big issue with the 4k crop is you cant just hit that record button either, it's hard to gauge where it's going to crop in when you are taking pictures. There were some higher stress situations to get the shot where hitting mode>info>ok/shutter then back made me miss stuff I would have got on a different camera. Andrew was right on this one. 

4k: It honestly looks very good, I was blown away with how good it actually looked. It does suck though in a lot of ways. That crop + a longer lens like 105mm stabilized is pretty much unusable handheld. The jello effect with the RS is a killer, on other cameras at 200mm etc. I could stabilized it in post, you can't with this RS. 

1080p: It just looks like any canon 1080p, but with the lens IS and the 1st level of digital IS, it looks like gimbal footage walking around. You could tell some cool stories with that combo.

Low Light (ISO): I mentioned it in this thread before, but I tested the EOS R vs the 1DX ii and found that the 1DX performed twice as well in video ISO. This wasn't surprising, but it wasn't worse than I had expected. I think it is fine for most situations. 

Adapted Lenses: They honestly all worked perfectly for me in photo and video.

Banding: It isn't that bad when shooting outdoors, I found that you can get issues with it under artificial lighting much easier. For the majority of what I have done, it would be fine.

Final Thoughts: 

I think that Canon is getting close to a very good camera. The RF system will be awesome by next year, I just personally found too many deal breakers for how I use a camera to keep this one. I feel that it is a good beginner camera; for someone who would have purchased a 6D. They should remove the top screen no one looks at and put a few buttons found on the 5D. At this moment, I can get way better quality out of using my 1DX ii. I can't wait for a mirrorless version of the 1DX, or an updated 5D.