Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, ALFAOCS said:

Actually I just purchased a Sony A7 III ($1,998.00) and the Full Frame Sony 28-135 f4 Lens ($1,499.00 ebay) which works like a charm in either full frame and Super 35 modes. The TOTAL is $3,497.00 (4K Camera and Cinema/ENG Full frame Lens)! If you can rack-up another $400 you could make the A7 III and ENG / Cinematic / 2 channel audio monster by adding the Sony XLR-K2M XLR Adapter Kit (used $402.00 Adorama)... and a $49 ND Filter just in case...
Therefore for less than $4,000.00, Sony gives you an excellent Cinema / ENG / Low-Light Monster including the ability to take 24MB photos...
I can't wait to see the next Sony A7S III, the next FS5 and the next FS7... and I'm getting ready to upgrade down the Sony Cinema line!

Andrew wrote:
"If you don’t own many Canon lenses all you need to buy is a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 to do most things – the cost goes past $3000 but it can easily creep past $8000 on the Sony and Nikon side. I just can’t help feeling that Canon lost a lot of lens sales with that crop, when all you need to buy is a single Sigma zoom and maybe one of their ART primes."

IMG_1928.jpg

I used this same setup for a few years on the A7S with the XLR module on top for a great Run n Gun package. This lens was made for full frame yet many seem to put them on the FS7 which with its crop sensor, means this lens at 28mm isn't wide enough as a do it all lens IMO.

On the Red Epic we had however, we had the Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 for lower end gigs that didn't call for hiring cine lenses.  The sigmas really punch well above their weight in regards to pure image quality.

1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

I used this same setup for a few years on the A7S with the XLR module on top for a great Run n Gun package. This lens was made for full frame yet many seem to put them on the FS7 which with its crop sensor, means this lens at 28mm isn't wide enough as a do it all lens IMO

I had the same setup too with A7S years ago

Now I shoot event on a 55mm 1.8, f4 zoom doesnt satisfy me anymore. 

• Super Members

Lol, called it!

Note: This is probably of no interest to anyone that isn't living in Sweden or has too much time to waist.

I chose to preorder my EOS-R at a store that had 15% off on everything as a weekend deal. They also gave me almost the same value on my 6Dmkii (2-3000 clicks) as a trade in compared to what I paid brand new (bought it on a fire sale). The store in question is a legit chain, not a grey market or anything, but known for less than perfect customer service.

As we know the camera has been out for a couple weeks now. Accept where I bought it. All the other stores in Sweden have had it in stock since day one. Including a couple located 1-3 blocks from "my"store. My suspicion was that they where holding of until October 18 when they had a scheduled "launch" of the camera in the store with a demo and Canon reps attending. Today is October 18. And my camera just shipped :)

My question is, what where they thinking?
Of all the people ready to switch to and/or buy the EOS-R, how many haven't done it already?

Who is looking forward to see a launch of a camera that's been on display ready to try one block down the street for weeks?
And given that the store has a pretty bad reputation... 

Personally I don't care, I wasn't in a hurry. Im more interested from a perspective of working in marketing and communication.
To make an analogy, its like if Canon released a crippled camera ;) 

• Administrators

I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to make a Speed Booster specifically for that 1.8x crop 4K? @Brian Caldwell :)

The usual 0.71x adapters will I am sure come onto the market first, but then in 4K that will still be a 1.3x crop and not full frame.

0.60x Speed Booster would do the trick.

Then finally we have full frame 4K H.264 from Canon with Canon LOG, after so long.

Also with the flange being 20mm, that is more than E-mount, so more space for the Speed Booster optics to extend back into the mount close to the sensor.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to make a Speed Booster specifically for that 1.8x crop 4K? @Brian Caldwell :)

The usual 0.71x adapters will I am sure come onto the market first, but then in 4K that will still be a 1.3x crop and not full frame.

0.60x Speed Booster would do the trick.

Then finally we have full frame 4K H.264 from Canon with Canon LOG, after so long.

Also with the flange being 20mm, that is more than E-mount, so more space for the Speed Booster optics to extend back into the mount close to the sensor.

I kept hoping MetaBones would release the SpeedBooster for using EF lenses on the EOS M cameras that they had in development, but Canon hobbled the EOS M platform so badly that there didn't seem to be a big enough market for it. I loved my little M back in the day, but really, the M platform should be WAY more advanced by now. An M5II with IBIS and 4K DPAF would be the best vloggers camera ever made. Canon sure likes leaving money on the table.

• Super Members
37 minutes ago, tyger11 said:

I kept hoping MetaBones would release the SpeedBooster for using EF lenses on the EOS M cameras that they had in development, but Canon hobbled the EOS M platform so badly that there didn't seem to be a big enough market for it.

Viltrox to the rescue. They are both cheaper and sharper in the side by sides I've seen. And it probably has their imo genius focus adjustment. 

https://www.canonwatch.com/its-finally-coming-viltrox-0-71x-speed-booster-for-the-canon-eos-m-system/

On 10/17/2018 at 5:32 AM, Andrew Reid said:

That's pretty much what I said :)

When you look at the kind of people who buy a C200 on the whole, Nino at Cinema5D maybe, who hates using DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.

People who rent.

People who have $7000 to spend and then some.

Why would a mirrorless camera without XLR jacks even come close to that market.

Two kinds of people who buy the C200 (and often the same person, with these split desires combined together):

1. The C200 is the cheapest way to get a "4K C100" (seeing as a C100 mk3 hasn't happened, and a C300mk2 is even more expensive)
  2. They're a Canon fanboy who also lusts after raw

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

That comparison is sort of embarrassing for the EOS R. Throw a Speedbooster on the M50 and is would be even better at low light and DoF. Not sure how the AF would suffer though?

Auto focus would probably take a big hit. I pretty much agree though. 

The only thing is 4k is better on the EOS R, at least you get DPAF with it. The M50 has no DPAF in 4k. 

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Auto focus would probably take a big hit. I pretty much agree though. 

The only thing is 4k is better on the EOS R, at least you get DPAF with it. The M50 has no DPAF in 4k. 

Yeah now I remember that. So is there Any kind of AF in 4K with the M50? Speaking of the M50, what happened to Dave Altizer? He was hot on the M50. Andrew must have scared him away with that Video thingy.

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The EOS R AF seems quite bad during portions of that vlog?

As one of the top rated comments said:

Well the video quality and low light seems better though, but not 400% price better, when you add in speedbooster on M50 you can have similar DOF anyway and still a lot more lighter/cheaper.

I’m really split. I have a preorder on the EOS R but reading all the things here, I’m playing with the idea of cancelling it. 

I personally don’t mind the crop thaaaaat much because there’s a lot of good EF-S glass out there. But then yeah, why not just get a aps-c cam like the m50. But I also have no need for 4K yet besides cropping if 1080 by itself is good.

But i love DPAF, canon colors and the flip screen. That’s what’s keeping me right now. 

If Sony added a flip screen, or the gh5 had better focus...... 

Anyone here got an R and has some good things to say?

Heck the 1080p on the M50 is using DPAF and is as sharp as a Canon C100. And has a Flippy screen. I don't see why a person would pay the money for a EOS-R to be honest.

Sure 4K is not so hot unless it is locked off, or has a Speedbooster on it. But for 1080p this thing is a poor mans C100 output wise. And for 500 bucks at times.

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-m50-4k-vs-1080p-video-performance-review/