Quick Q about GH5, Speedbooster Ultra EF, and old lenses on EF adapters

jgharding

Hi all,

I've come quite late to the GH5 party so sorry if this is common knowledge:

I have M42 to EF adapters I use on Canon bodies that have AF confirm chips.

When I attach these to the Speedbooster Ultra on the GH5 get a "lens attachment failed" message. It doesn't appear to have a manual "shoot without lens" option either, I just get a black screen.

But if i don't fully connect the lens I can shoot fine, I'm guessing chip-free dumb adaptors will sort this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, it's the adapter and the electronic connector. Try to see if there's a firmware update you can play onto the adapter. Alternatively try and put some tape or something over the connector, should sort you out. ('Shoot without lens' hasn't carried over from the GH4, instead it's standard).

Yeah, I got this with my EOS mount convert Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2

I just get a sharpie pen to find where the contact is being made, then use "Hard as Nails" nail polish as an insulator.

If you connect and disconnect the same insulated lens often, you have to strip and then reapply.

Yeah, I need a better solution.

Maybe anodize the lens mount?

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, it's the adapter and the electronic connector. Try to see if there's a firmware update you can play onto the adapter. Alternatively try and put some tape or something over the connector, should sort you out. ('Shoot without lens' hasn't carried over from the GH4, instead it's standard).

Cheers, glad to see it is just the chip

ive already ordered some dumb adapters 

BTW how does one programme such a chip? I never worked that out...

On 10/15/2018 at 9:05 PM, buggz said:

No where near the same effect, that was the entire reason I got a speedbooster...

He means put the lens on a dumb adapter, then that onto the speedbooster, which sorts the issue out.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:47 AM, scotchtape said:

You said "But if i don't fully connect the lens I can shoot fine, I'm guessing chip-free dumb adaptors will sort this?" but, ok.

I don't understand what you're saying here...

• Administrators
On 10/13/2018 at 10:29 PM, jgharding said:

Hi all,

I've come quite late to the GH5 party so sorry if this is common knowledge:

I have M42 to EF adapters I use on Canon bodies that have AF confirm chips.

When I attach these to the Speedbooster Ultra on the GH5 get a "lens attachment failed" message. It doesn't appear to have a manual "shoot without lens" option either, I just get a black screen.

But if i don't fully connect the lens I can shoot fine, I'm guessing chip-free dumb adaptors will sort this?

Yeah sounds like the AF confirm chip is the problem... passive dumb adapter will do it but be careful it doesn't short the metal contacts on the Metabones. I have gaffer tape over some of mine, especially the silver non-painted ones which can brush right up against the contacts and short them out.

For a moment I thought you meant the speed booster was causing lens attachment failed... It can do that some times as well... a wiggle sorts that out, if not attached to the GH5 mount quite solidly enough.

A quick update:

The dumb adaptor for Exakta to EF mount works perfectly, but the M42 to EF dumb adaptor one has the same error as before, despite having no chip.

I can shoot as long as I want if i turn the lens to just BEFORE clicking into place, but as soon as it clicks in, i get "Lens attachment failed"

Any more ideas?

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hmm strange. Is shoot without lens enabled in the menus?

apparently "shoot without lens" doesn't exist in the GH5, and they changed it to an automatic thing...

What's odd is i can shoot with just the speedbooster, but even just clicking the dumb adaptor into place on its own brings up the "lens attachment failed" message a few seconds later

weirdness...