X-T3 or Pocket 4K?

Emanuel

@wolf33d sorry for the OT, but do you make 10 grand a year selling stuff you shot with the D5500?

On topic... the problem with these types of posts are that everybody is different and has different needs. You have very strong opinions based on your needs but just because you find M4/3 useless doesn’t mean the format is dead. There are hundreds of other shooters that will still see the benefit of the smaller sensor M4/3 camera and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Hell, the E-M1ii, a M4/3 camera, could be the closest camera to what you’ve been longing for.

EDIT: never mind I reread your comment and saw that you sell the 4K video clips.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, mercer said:

@wolf33d sorry for the OT, but do you make 10 grand a year selling stuff you shot with the D5500?

On topic... the problem with these types of posts are that everybody is different and has different needs. You have very strong opinions based on your needs but just because you find M4/3 useless doesn’t mean the format is dead. There are hundreds of other shooters that will still see the benefit of the smaller sensor M4/3 camera and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Hell, the E-M1ii, a M4/3 camera, could be the closest camera to what you’ve been longing for.

Well, when I say I think M43 will die I am of course not speaking for myself. This is my thought based on market. When you are at the point when superior sensor size offer better and in a lighter camera package I do not see point for M43 anymore. 

No I don't make 10 grand a year with the D5500 : I never ever shoot video with it. I make 10 grand a year by selling a couple of the clips taken from my personal shoots I make while traveling/mountaineering. Those are shot with whatever cameras I have in hand at the moment for video (GH5, A7III, ...). 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I can see you do order and change up your cameras quite often, and thanks for sharing the information of your experiences. 

When it comes to a new purchase, we buy to solve a problem. Just out of curiosity, what makes you unhappy about previous cameras you have bought and what are you ideally chasing? 

I relate to this, I have previously chased the "dream" setup, but come to realise it's an endless cycle where I might aswell stick with what I have until there's something truly and utterly revolutionary, which maybe never ? (Current cameras are the EVA1 and GH5). 

Canon 1DXMK2: I've had my 1DXMk2 from launch. The reason I keep it is because it's a fantastic solidly built hybrid shooter. It's the camera I go to when the mission is strictly about taking top notch photos. It's my sports shooter. It's great that it can also do video,  but that is not its primary function. At least not in my usage.  

Canon C200: This bad boy is my main video  camera.  It's wonderful... just wonderful. Only some unexpected breakthrough would make me feel a need to sell this awesome camera. The footage is flexible, with great dynamic range. The RawLite requires nothing more than a Lut for the magic to shine though. 

Samsung NX1: It took some time for me to learn to shoot well with the Samy... but once I did it delivered some very satisfying imagery. I think the reason I sold it was underwhelming DR. Also, the motion cadence was not to my liking.

Sony A7 series: We still shoot Sony, though only for stills at this point. They are good cameras,  but the colors need some work in post. I cannot recall every being pleased with any image straight out of a Sony body. 

I've left out a lot... but I guess at this point I'm not chasing anything... not image quality wise. Let's put it this way,  I go to the movies and sit there soaking up whatever story is being portrayed... every once in a while (when you fall out of the story) I consider the image quality... camera angles, movement, lighting... and the reason for them. I have to say... for the most part what separates any of the top mirrorless hybrid contenders from those pro cinema cameras is very little... if anything. It has much more to do with the other elements at this point. 

Problem solving: My most recent purchase... the X-T3, solved the problem of desiring a light weight,  unassuming travel camera,  that could take beautiful stills,  while also acting as a mobile video solution. I'm satisfied with it in this role. 

The pocket camera has nice image quality for sure... but for the most part so do the competition. It's a niche camera. Compromised in many ways. I'm certain a GH5 is a smarter choice for 95% of would be buyers. I see the P4K as a cost effective B-cam to an Ursa Mini/Pro. 

I think we collectively should be more focused on the other elements that go into making a great image. I know that's an area of the art that my focus has shifted to. 

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Well, when I say I think M43 will die I am of course not speaking for myself. This is my thought based on market. When you are at the point when superior sensor size offer better and in a lighter camera package I do not see point for M43 anymore. 

No I don't make 10 grand a year with the D5500 : I never ever shoot video with it. I make 10 grand a year by selling a couple of the clips taken from my personal shoots I make while traveling/mountaineering. Those are shot with whatever cameras I have in hand at the moment for video (GH5, A7III, ...). 

Yeah sorry, I edited my original comment when I realized you said you sell 4K videos. That’s really cool that your adventures give you that opportunity... I guess it helps to fund some of your adventures as well... smart move. 

Hey everybody has needs, wants and opinions. I’m shooting 2:35 ML Raw, which is less than 1080p, on my 5D3 because I just love the look for my needs and wants. I love it so much, I don’t know why every narrative filmmaker doesn’t own one.

I don't think M43 is dead as long as the specs stay competitive. 

If it has higher frame rates, better color depth then competitors then people will still get it. If not then yes it will die. 

The GH5 is still competitive IMHO due to the IBIS and of course the IQ is still awesome. I've thought about purchasing it again after selling it because the IBIS really is amazing and the user base is pretty cool too. The Alexa Lut and Leeming Lut make it a different camera in some ways. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Canon 1DXMK2: I've had my 1DXMk2 from launch. The reason I keep it is because it's a fantastic solidly built hybrid shooter. It's the camera I go to when the mission is strictly about taking top notch photos. It's my sports shooter. It's great that it can also do video,  but that is not its primary function. At least not in my usage.  

Canon C200: This bad boy is my main video  camera.  It's wonderful... just wonderful. Only some unexpected breakthrough would make me feel a need to sell this awesome camera. The footage is flexible, with great dynamic range. The RawLite requires nothing more than a Lut for the magic to shine though. 

Samsung NX1: It took some time for me to learn to shoot well with the Samy... but once I did it delivered some very satisfying imagery. I think the reason I sold it was underwhelming DR. Also, the motion cadence was not to my liking.

Sony A7 series: We still shoot Sony, though only for stills at this point. They are good cameras,  but the colors need some work in post. I cannot recall every being pleased with any image straight out of a Sony body. 

I've left out a lot... but I guess at this point I'm not chasing anything... not image quality wise. Let's put it this way,  I go to the movies and sit there soaking up whatever story is being portrayed... every once in a while (when you fall out of the story) I consider the image quality... camera angles, movement, lighting... and the reason for them. I have to say... for the most part what separates any of the top mirrorless hybrid contenders from those pro cinema cameras is very little... if anything. It has much more to do with the other elements at this point. 

Problem solving: My most recent purchase... the X-T3, solved the problem of desiring a light weight,  unassuming travel camera,  that could take beautiful stills,  while also acting as a mobile video solution. I'm satisfied with it in this role. 

The pocket camera has nice image quality for sure... but for the most part so do the competition. It's a niche camera. Compromised in many ways. I'm certain a GH5 is a smarter choice for 95% of would be buyers. I see the P4K as a cost effective B-cam to an Ursa Mini/Pro.

Interesting run down of those cameras. How close would you say the C200's image is to the 1D X Mark II. I have heard they are VERY much the same, in fact the 1D X II might have the edge with the higher bitrates in MJPEG 4K.

It would be hard to move away from a GH5 which has 100% of everything I "need" in a hybrid camera (IBIS, flip screen, 4k 60p, good battery life, usable 6400 iso, 180fps HD, ergonomics, weather sealing, ). At a minimum any camera that would make me leave a GH5 would have to have all these options at a minimum whether it's APSC or FF camera and be under $2500.

17 minutes ago, vas said:

It would be hard to move away from a GH5 which has 100% of everything I "need" in a hybrid camera (IBIS, flip screen, 4k 60p, good battery life, usable 6400 iso, 180fps HD, ergonomics, weather sealing, ). At a minimum any camera that would make me leave a GH5 would have to have all these options at a minimum whether it's APSC or FF camera and be under $2500.

The main thing that made me leave the GH5 was auto focus. A GH5S with IBIS would be my real cup of tea though. The 6400 on the GH5 is very questionable. 

1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The main thing that made me leave the GH5 was auto focus. 

I rarely use AF, the rare occasions I use it's on a gimbal, with the OM 12mm f2 and never have issues. The movements are slow and at such a wide angle it works great for when I need it.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Interesting run down of those cameras. How close would you say the C200's image is to the 1D X Mark II. I have heard they are VERY much the same, in fact the 1D X II might have the edge with the higher bitrates in MJPEG 4K.

The strength of the C200 really become apparent in post. Highlight recovery,  shadow detail,  these are two areas where the 12 bit codec and superior dynamic range really come into play.  As a tool to acquire video the C200 is clearly at an advantage.  But that said the 1DXMk2 produces a stunning image.  It looked polished straight out of camera. It matches well to the C200. AF is better on the 1DXMk2, though both are excellent. It's very much a love hate relationship with Canon... you know they could crush the competition if they really wanted to deliver the goods.  But they always hold something back. 

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

How have you handled going along AF on your X-T3 BTW?

I don't know if I completely get the question.

I am still learning with the XT3 auto focus. But I find it very easy so far. I set the speed to 0 and tracking sensitivity to +3
Seems to give a very smooth focus pull while not being too slow. Face detect works very well but doesn't always focus on the face you want and loses focus if the person turns away.

15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't know if I completely get the question.

I am still learning with the XT3 auto focus. But I find it very easy so far. I set the speed to 0 and tracking sensitivity to +3
Seems to give a very smooth focus pull while not being too slow. Face detect works very well but doesn't always focus on the face you want and loses focus if the person turns away.

So you are happy with the smoother transitions when pulling focus, but not exactly with the tracking feature. Is that so? Any workaround for?

What about lenses with your AF tests BTW?

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

So you are happy with the smoother transitions when pulling focus, but not exactly with the tracking feature. Is that so? Any workaround for?

What about lenses with your AF tests BTW?

Yeah face tracking isn't always useful, but regular tracking seems to work very nicely.  I was also surprised how well it focused in low light.

The lenses I've tested are the 23mm f2 and 50mm f2.

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah face tracking isn't always useful, but regular tracking seems to work very nicely.  I was also surprised how well it focused in low light.

The lenses I've tested are the 23mm f2 and 50mm f2.

Nice to know : ) How have you found the IQ of these two lenses?

On 10/12/2018 at 6:27 PM, DBounce said:

I think we collectively should be more focused on the other elements that go into making a great image. I know that's an area of the art that my focus has shifted to. 

Thanks for that. 

Sonetimes I convince myself I have certain needs, and then when it comes to it, I realise i don’t. 

Theres many reasons why the GH5 has stuck with me, as I feel it makes room for more thought on creative ideas. I’m being asked to do stills more with video these days, and I’ve used the GH5 again for that. Personally, it’s not my flavour. 

I do have the EVA1 and I can’t give much of a review on that yet, only used it once! But I had an FS5 before and I sold it as the overall “technological” image wasn’t connecting with me. 

I love Fuji and Canon images, so I’m always curious. In all honestly if I didn’t need great HFR options, I’d have the C200. They really under delivered on the C300 II, and in my opinion, it’s a flop. Again, they lost me as a customer there too. 

I usually have to leave my emotional desires aside and have to pick the tools that meet the requirements of my briefs, hence the EVA1 having to come in. So I’m going to settle with these Panasonics and forget about all these distracting new releases. I want the quality of my work to step up further, and this will all be down to hard, focused work.