X-T3 or Pocket 4K?

Emanuel

Im def going the pocket 4K route, as its the perfect bcam to my ump (and I dont have to color correct different cameras anymore). I dont care about AF. I sometimes do editing jobs, and I often get gymbal/slider AF shots in that are unusable. They are flying around and suddenly a pole appears in front of the camera, the focus shifts to the pole. Congratulations the shot is ruined.  

I agree RAW is too big for casual work, but blackmagic raw does fix that. Smaller files that are fast and give a raw workflow. That feature alone is worth the pocket 4K alone for my taste of shooting. Allthough MFT is a small sensor there is a easy way around that with a speedbooster. 

But then again this is my perspective. I would def go for the X-T3 if i had more photography jobs though. And you prob can use a speedbooster on the X-T3 as well making it a full frame camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Im def going the pocket 4K route, as its the perfect bcam to my ump (and I dont have to color correct different cameras anymore). I dont care about AF. I sometimes do editing jobs, and I often get gymbal/slider AF shots in that are unusable. They are flying around and suddenly a pole appears in front of the camera, the focus shifts to the pole. Congratulations the shot is ruined.  

I agree RAW is too big for casual work, but blackmagic raw does fix that. Smaller files that are fast and give a raw workflow. That feature alone is worth the pocket 4K alone for my taste of shooting. Allthough MFT is a small sensor there is a easy way around that with a speedbooster. 

But then again this is my perspective. I would def go for the X-T3 if i had more photography jobs though. And you prob can use a speedbooster on the X-T3 as well making it a full frame camera. 

Why not Z CAM E2? Same sensor as Pocket 4K and much more feature set. It's shipping now.

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

All i'll add is that, since getting into Fuji, I have rekindled my love for still photography. The XT2 or XH1 tends to come everywhere with me now. 

I had a similar experience when I got the XT2. And for whatever reason just don't feel the same way when shooting the A7III. 

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

"Anyone buying a GH5 vs a XT3 is out of his mind."

None of these recent camera releases has persuaded me to parts ways with the GH5...

Thanks for so welcome relief after facing with so many death-oracles and fact that great authority disclose out-of-mind state of some members here!

46 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@anonim You should probably clarify that the sentence in quotes belongs to @wolf33d , not @Oliver Daniel .

Without going back three hours to read his original comment, it makes it sound like the ravings of a lunatic. ?

Thanks - but it seems to me obvious that quoted sentence is separate from its comment? Nevertheless, I really enjoyed in such rafale macabre in just one impressive review :)

...so this argument is dead

...I believe M43 is absolutely dead

...the same people who believed in Sony A-Mount being not dead

...all M43 cameras bigger than XT3 are dead

...Anyone buying a GH5 vs a XT3 is (deadly?) out of his mind

8 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

It is still tempting to me, in a way, although the X-T3 is a lot more tempting.

You said it.

5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

None of these recent camera releases has persuaded me to parts ways with the GH5, here’s why: 

(...)

Theres features in the other cameras that look appealing, but the way I view it, how much will it change my videos? 

Well, I said as you quoted "who buys GH5 vs XT3" which means now. I also said that the GH5 was a good option before so you were not included in the comment. 
The fact that the GH5 was good when you bought it does not make it any less good today even if there is a 8K240p 10 bit camera released. 

It's just that today, there are much much better options. 

I personally owned the GH5 a couple weeks and sent it back. Did not like it at all. The slow mo is not so good, the AF was a joke, overall I got better results before with an RX100 for slow mo which says a lot. Flip screen is nice but I don't vlog so far from an absolute must for me. As for the 4K image I actually preferred the A7III outcome. 

With Sonny not releasing the A7S III and the Pana S1 not coming before march, I might get an XT3 for a few months. Last Fuji I had was an XE1 years ago. Let's see :)
But I don't see a better option on the market today.

8 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

With Sonny not releasing the A7S III and the Pana S1 not coming before march, I might get an XT3 for a few months. Last Fuji I had was an XE1 years ago. Let's see :)
But I don't see a better option on the market today.

I think the X-T3 has something those other cameras lack, in that it is an amazing stills camera in it's own right. You will find yourself taking more stills. I know I take a lot more stills than I did prior to owning the X-T3. Even when new big boys from Sony and Panasonic are released, the Fuji will still have a very special image. I think it will rightly own a place in many a camera bag. While I look forward to both the offering from Sony and Panasonic, I do so with some trepidation. I suspect Sony will hold back a lot from the A7S3 to protect their dedicated video cameras. With Panasonic I really believe they might try to give us an amazing product. But I can tell you, if it lacks the organic sensor and it's ability to selectively control sensitive on a pixel level, I will likely pass. On the flip side, it they add that sensor I am preordering. That said, it will not replace my Fuji, I love the colors, size and nostalgia of it. It's just a uber cool camera.

27 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I think the X-T3 has something those other cameras lack, in that it is an amazing stills camera in it's own right. You will find yourself taking more stills. I know I take a lot more stills than I did prior to owning the X-T3. Even when new big boys from Sony and Panasonic are released, the Fuji will still have a very special image. I think it will rightly own a place in many a camera bag. While I look forward to both the offering from Sony and Panasonic, I do so with some trepidation. I suspect Sony will hold back a lot from the A7S3 to protect their dedicated video cameras. With Panasonic I really believe they might try to give us an amazing product. But I can tell you, if it lacks the organic sensor and it's ability to selectively control sensitive on a pixel level, I will likely pass. On the flip side, it they add that sensor I am preordering. That said, it will not replace my Fuji, I love the colors, size and nostalgia of it. It's just a uber cool camera.

I can see you do order and change up your cameras quite often, and thanks for sharing the information of your experiences. 

When it comes to a new purchase, we buy to solve a problem. Just out of curiosity, what makes you unhappy about previous cameras you have bought and what are you ideally chasing? 

I relate to this, I have previously chased the "dream" setup, but come to realise it's an endless cycle where I might aswell stick with what I have until there's something truly and utterly revolutionary, which maybe never ? (Current cameras are the EVA1 and GH5). 

Well, the GH5 has only been on the market for a year and a half, so this idea that it’s dead is just silly. And the P4K just doesn’t offer enough of an upgraded image to let go of the GH5 features, IMO.

The X-T3 is VERY interesting. The IQ is superb and very cinematic.

The problem with all of these cameras are the files. You need a very competent computer/storage solutions to wrangle in the file sizes and compression... which is the only benefit of the P4K IMO... the ProRes files should get along better with modest computer specs.

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, the GH5 has only been on the market for a year and a half, so this idea that it’s dead is just silly. And the P4K just doesn’t offer enough of an upgraded image to let go of the GH5 features, IMO.

The X-T3 is VERY interesting. The IQ is superb and very cinematic.

The problem with all of these cameras are the files. You need a very competent computer/storage solutions to wrangle in the file sizes and compression... which is the only benefit of the P4K IMO... the ProRes files should get along better with modest computer specs.

Yeah, when they designed the P4K, I guess they were just thinking that the camera operator would hand off the SSD to the editing team and that the camera operator wouldn't have to worry about the workflow from there.

Going to be more difficult for us one-man band operators...

That 13 stops of Dynamic Range and the gentle highlight rolloff sure is nice though for us shooters who are at the mercy of available light.

1 minute ago, seanzzxx said:

The P4K will actually be better for small-budgeted crews in that regard because Prores runs much, much smoother than h.264 (because your computer doesn't have to do as much decompression in real-time). My old laptop tore through Ursa 4K Prores 444 files but stuttered with a7s II 4k footage.

Yeah that’s what I ineloquently meant as a big plus for the P4K. H.265 files are a nightmare for my setup. I can transcode my ML Raw files to CDNG, bring them into Resolve, color correct them and export them to ProRes 444 faster than I could transcode and downscale the NX500 h.265 4K files to 1080p ProRes LT.

6 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

The P4K will actually be better for small-budgeted crews in that regard because Prores runs much, much smoother than h.264 (because your computer doesn't have to do as much decompression in real-time). My old laptop tore through Ursa 4K Prores 444 files but stuttered with a7s II 4k footage.

True that. (XAVC S is a rather tough codec to work with).

But - to me, anyway - the whole point of the P4K would be to use it for RAW, which unfortunately is going to be more time consuming than working with ProRes :(

1 minute ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

True that. (XAVC S is a rather tough codec to work with).

But - to me, anyway - the whole point of the P4K would be to use it for RAW, which unfortunately is going to be more time consuming than working with ProRes :(

Well, for me the ProRes is great because I am an FCPX user. But if you’re a Resolve user, you just bring the CDNG files in and work on them natively. I don’t want to be a color grader, so I don’t have the time or inclination to learn Resolve and prefer the simplicity of FCPX.

40 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I can see you do order and change up your cameras quite often, and thanks for sharing the information of your experiences. 

When it comes to a new purchase, we buy to solve a problem. Just out of curiosity, what makes you unhappy about previous cameras you have bought and what are you ideally chasing? 

I relate to this, I have previously chased the "dream" setup, but come to realise it's an endless cycle where I might aswell stick with what I have until there's something truly and utterly revolutionary, which maybe never ? (Current cameras are the EVA1 and GH5). 

Even though this comment was not for me, it also applies to me so let me answer. 

First of all you are a bit wrong: "When it comes to a new purchase, we buy to solve a problem." To be honest with you this is probably true 10% of the cases. 
Most people today buy new cameras not to solve a real problem but because: 

- They have GAS syndrome 
- They want the latest tech for whatever reason (from valid technical reason to no reason at all) 
- They think people with newer cameras will achieve things they can't with theirs 
- They think their work would be better with a better camera 
- They like to play with new toys 
... ... ... 

For many of us it is a combination of small real problems and some of the above examples. And let me be honest : I am one of those. I like new tech, I have a job that allows me to afford cameras I could probably not afford if I was an average pro videographer (which says a lot on this industry lol)... I have older equipment that I feel is good enough like a 2014 macbook pro or a D5500 for landscape stills (it does what I need: good DR for tripod landscapes, and very light camera), but for many of my gear I do not keep it for long. 
Secondly, I also have some "problems". For example I need 4K because with the work I do for myself : I end up selling some of the clips, this give me $10K a year and it needs to be 4K. Now I enjoy a lot shooting slowmo because I do mainly sport/mountaineer stuff. So I need 4K slowmo and this is why I desperately chase a 4K60p camera. The mountain also dictate the camera size and weight, and the sport dictate the fact I need good AF for on gimbal use. 
Proof: I have needed good DR in a light package for stills. D5500 offers me that and I use it for 2 years. I shoot 90% of my landscapes (see link below) with it. I do not see the difference with my A7III for a landscape use, and the A7III does not even allow me to do timelapse which I need and do with the D5500. 
For video it's another story has what I need does not exist yet in one body.

So in conclusion you see: if I was careless about tech and new gear I would be happy with all my limitations even in the mountain and would still get good footage. But those problems are still real objectively. So the combination of both makes me set up an objective of what I want/need and I am chasing this camera since couple of years. In the meantime I enjoy using different cameras that I buy and sell after weeks or months or couple years. 

I see no problem at all in changing gear. The real problem is people who spend their time online speaking about cameras they will never use and do all of this instead of shooting. When they do go shooting, they shoot their cat with a 3000$ lens. One would argue this is still not a problem and that's true : to each his own. But I can't help but thinking those people are more pollution for the web than anything else. 
If you want to see my cat pictures (spoiler, I have no cat), here is my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/landscapturer/