Minimalist Gear for Travelling: Rx100 + Mavic Pro

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How was the RX100 AF tracking in video and which version did you have? 
In Cuba I had the older one with same slow mo but before they put the improved AF. I remember it was a big pain. At this time the A7 R II (considered shit for AF today) was better even though it still was a pain. 

Also, I agree the RX100 is a cool setup. But since I need anyway a proper sensor for stills, I would rather have an A7S III type of camera which is still decently light for travel. 

11 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

How was the RX100 AF tracking in video and which version did you have? 
In Cuba I had the older one with same slow mo but before they put the improved AF. I remember it was a big pain. At this time the A7 R II (considered shit for AF today) was better even though it still was a pain. 

Also, I agree the RX100 is a cool setup. But since I need anyway a proper sensor for stills, I would rather have an A7S III type of camera which is still decently light for travel. 

I have the mark 4 version. I find it is decent enough for AF. It doesn't hunt too often and you can still throw the background oof enough and get decent results. I agree that the a7sii or a7iii is a way better camera, but I think for an average person wanting to film abroad in countries that may be a bit sketchy then the rx100 is the perfect camera. Also the gimbal is so small. It just allows you to get more candid shots I think where it may be daunting to get with a bigger setup or maybe a too dangerous. People think you are just some silly tourist with an rx100, which maybe I am hahaha ;)

40 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

I have the mark 4 version. I find it is decent enough for AF. It doesn't hunt too often and you can still throw the background oof enough and get decent results. I agree that the a7sii or a7iii is a way better camera, but I think for an average person wanting to film abroad in countries that may be a bit sketchy then the rx100 is the perfect camera. Also the gimbal is so small. It just allows you to get more candid shots I think where it may be daunting to get with a bigger setup or maybe a too dangerous. People think you are just some silly tourist with an rx100, which maybe I am hahaha ;)

Lol yeah. Had the MKIV too, but I think they improved the AF from the V. 
I have a Crane Plus gimbal which is the smallest weight they have that still accepts an A7III like body + lens. The M + RX100 combo must be much more light for sure. 

11 hours ago, mojo43 said:

People think you are just some silly tourist with an rx100, which maybe I am hahaha ;)

You might be a silly tourist, but in film-making terms you're definitely not!  Truly nice work, and if the modest setup is limiting you then it's not coming through in the edit.

Makes me want to sell everything and buy an RX100 and just go shoot stuff, which is a sign of a successful film! :)

Subscribed.

I have the RX100VI which is the same size as the previous models but has an amazing 24-200mm FF equivalent lens. I have only shot a bit of video as I am mainly interested in stills now but the 4K video looks excellent. I also own an RX10IV with the equally amazing 24-600mm FF equivalent zoom however it's so much bulkier & heavier that I find that 90% of the time I use the little RX100VI as image quality is identical. The AF on both is very good fast phase detect & the image stabilisation is also first rate.

As a travel camera for video or stills the RX100VI is in a class of its own. I am constantly amazed at how good the image quality is with the Sony 1" sensor.

BTW Very nice video. I would like to buy a gimbal to use with my the RX100VI for video & can hardly go wrong with the price of the Crane M. Can I clarify how the gimbal controls the camera with the Carne M? The specs talk about WiFi & a Bluetooth app which I don't want. The Crane 2 just has a cable that plugs into a Sony camera & controls start/stop zoom. I really want the simplicity & reliability of a simple wired connection so if the Crane M can do this then I am sold else I'll probably go for the Crane 2.

10 hours ago, kye said:

You might be a silly tourist, but in film-making terms you're definitely not!  Truly nice work, and if the modest setup is limiting you then it's not coming through in the edit.

Makes me want to sell everything and buy an RX100 and just go shoot stuff, which is a sign of a successful film! :)

Subscribed.

Wow thanks Kye, that was really kind of you to say!!

4 hours ago, nigelbb said:

I have the RX100VI which is the same size as the previous models but has an amazing 24-200mm FF equivalent lens. I have only shot a bit of video as I am mainly interested in stills now but the 4K video looks excellent. I also own an RX10IV with the equally amazing 24-600mm FF equivalent zoom however it's so much bulkier & heavier that I find that 90% of the time I use the little RX100VI as image quality is identical. The AF on both is very good fast phase detect & the image stabilisation is also first rate.

As a travel camera for video or stills the RX100VI is in a class of its own. I am constantly amazed at how good the image quality is with the Sony 1" sensor.

BTW Very nice video. I would like to buy a gimbal to use with my the RX100VI for video & can hardly go wrong with the price of the Crane M. Can I clarify how the gimbal controls the camera with the Carne M? The specs talk about WiFi & a Bluetooth app which I don't want. The Crane 2 just has a cable that plugs into a Sony camera & controls start/stop zoom. I really want the simplicity & reliability of a simple wired connection so if the Crane M can do this then I am sold else I'll probably go for the Crane 2.

I haven't tried the 6th version yet. Is the aperture still f1.8 on the 24mm end? I have only tried the camera controls once. A cable connects to the camera and you can start and stop the recording as well as control the zoom. I don't find it that useful to be honest, but I guess maybe I never got used to using it. I usually preset my zoom and then start from there. Actually now that I think of it, I only tested this out on the Zhiyun crane v2 and not the crane M. I am pretty sure that the Crane M can do the same though...

Quick question, does the background knock oof a lot at around 100mm? And is there still macro on the camera for the v6?

@mojo43 saw your latest YT video for gimbals. 

You say you switch to moza because crane does not barrel. Well, I have a Crane Plus and it does barrel...Same for the angle. So be careful because your are comparing moza current model with old Crane stuff. 
On my side, the Crane Plus (one size under Moza Air) is better than the Moza equivalent Aircross. 

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

@mojo43 saw your latest YT video for gimbals. 

You say you switch to moza because crane does not barrel. Well, I have a Crane Plus and it does barrel...Same for the angle. So be careful because your are comparing moza current model with old Crane stuff. 
On my side, the Crane Plus (one size under Moza Air) is better than the Moza equivalent Aircross. 

I said I was comparing it to v2,v1 and the crane 2?

Ah shoot you are right I don’t specifically say it there... damn

It looks like the Crane M is no longer available. Did Zhiyun replace it with another model? If not is there another alternative for the RX100 that controls the camera by wire? I don't want WiFi or Bluetooth connection as its too fiddly. I know I could get a Crane 2 but I want a small gimbal that suits the RX100.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, nigelbb said:

Is there another alternative for the RX100 that controls the camera by wire? I don't want WiFi or Bluetooth connection as its too fiddly. 

People have been having some success modifying the Smooth Q for the RX100 for a very minimal (size and cost) setup.

There are a couple of different branded (JJC and Fotga being two of them) versions of the Sony wired remote which will give you Start/Stop and Zoom controls for about £20 to use with any gimbal.

Or, like here, combined with the Smooth Q mod.

21 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

People have been having some success modifying the Smooth Q for the RX100 for a very minimal (size and cost) setup.

There are a couple of different branded (JJC and Fotga being two of them) versions of the Sony wired remote which will give you Start/Stop and Zoom controls for about £20 to use with any gimbal.

Or, like here, combined with the Smooth Q mod.

Cool, but it looks like you can't see the screen? 

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

Cool, but it looks like you can't see the screen? 

Now you are just being picky ;)

I actually had a senior moment and meant to link to the mods to the Smooth 4, which is now the preferred option over the Q.

The Q is still workable if you are just using it wide or if you have a handle mounted side grip to take your phone as a viewfinder through the Sony app, so it would be akin to a higher quality DJI Osmo.

The Smooth 4 is a better option though.

• Super Members

The interesting thing about the Smooth 4 (aside from being able to see the screen) is that control wheel on the side that they use to control focus and zoom on their phone app.

As it uses Bluetooth to send that to the phone, it does throw up a potential hack to get it to control the zoom function of an RX100 instead using a very small box of tricks.

I'm not interested in hacks or in using my phone to control the camera.

Is there another gimbal besides the Crane M that will take the RX100 without modification & uses a wire to control the camera?

BTW how are you supposed to hold the gimbal in one hand & use the phone app to control the camera? Have a focus puller?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, nigelbb said:

I'm not interested in hacks or in using my phone to control the camera.

Is there another gimbal besides the Crane M that will take the RX100 without modification & uses a wire to control the camera?

BTW how are you supposed to hold the gimbal in one hand & use the phone app to control the camera? Have a focus puller?

I wasnt suggesting using the phone to control the camera though? 

You asked to control the camera by a wired remote and I showed you one for £20 being used with a gimbal in the first video.

Here is a link for it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I4LQJYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_lazYBb2EHTQN6

The phone aspect was in response to the monitoring issue with the Smooth Q as you can use their official app purely as a monitor if you needed to, which you dont if you use the Smooth 4.

The reference to a hack was about using the control wheel on the gimbal to do that instead but would be a box to replace the controller I've just linked to but, again, isn't necessary.

With regard to other gimbals, the Pilotfly C45 would be an option if you don't want to mess about with a modified smartphone one like the Smooth 4.

You can then attach the cheap wired controller to the handle to control fhe RX100

Thanks. It looks like the Pilotfly C45 is specifically designed for the RX100.

I was making a more general point about it being an odd idea to control a camera on a gimbal with a smartphone app as you cannot hold the gimbal in one hand & operate an app one handed with the other.

It's odd that Zhiyun have dropped the Crane M & not replaced it with anything. There is no other gimbal they make that covers the 150-600g camera range. The RX100 is about 300g.

I'll probably look out for a used Crane M.

2 hours ago, nigelbb said:

Thanks. It looks like the Pilotfly C45 is specifically designed for the RX100.

I was making a more general point about it being an odd idea to control a camera on a gimbal with a smartphone app as you cannot hold the gimbal in one hand & operate an app one handed with the other.

It's odd that Zhiyun have dropped the Crane M & not replaced it with anything. There is no other gimbal they make that covers the 150-600g camera range. The RX100 is about 300g.

I'll probably look out for a used Crane M.

Ya that's what I would do.. I used to speak to someone at Zhiyun fairly regularly, but recently he has been away. Next time I get a hold of him I will ask him about the crane m. Not sure why it would be discontinued...

• Super Members

Right, we have a new contender for the RX100 !

FeiyuTech G6 Plus doesn't require any mods to the gimbal and it can do start/stop and zoom from the handle (albeit over wifi) and is about £280 so somewhere between the mobile phone ones and the Pilotfly.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Right, we have a new contender for the RX100 !

FeiyuTech G6 Plus doesn't require any mods to the gimbal and it can do start/stop and zoom from the handle (albeit over wifi) and is about £280 so somewhere between the mobile phone ones and the Pilotflly

Seems interesting, the review on B&H though is pretty mixed, especially build quality.