Anamorphic Music Video (GH5 + Sankor 16C)

Tim McC

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I do recommend it.  You can see that there is some slight vignetting at 50mm, so at 58mm on the Helios, you should be just fine.  I like the white barrel flares, but not everyone does.  I'm using a SLR magic rangefinder in front of the Sankor, so that helps a great deal.   

2 hours ago, Tim McC said:

I do recommend it.  You can see that there is some slight vignetting at 50mm, so at 58mm on the Helios, you should be just fine.  I like the white barrel flares, but not everyone does.  I'm using a SLR magic rangefinder in front of the Sankor, so that helps a great deal.   

Thanks! So the rangefinder is for single focus? If I don't buy a rangefinder, I'll focus twice, correct?

Also, do I need something to connect the Sankor to the Helios?

Also are you using rods?

Sorry if I have a lot of questions. I'm really interested in building an anamorphic kit :). Thanks!

19 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Thanks! So the rangefinder is for single focus? If I don't buy a rangefinder, I'll focus twice, correct?

Yes, you put both taking lens and Sankor to infinity and then focus with the Rangefinder.  Otherwise, you'll be focusing the Sankor to your ballpark length and then finding focus with your taking lens.  It gets easier with practice, but you'll eventually want to invest in the Rangefinder.

22 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Also, do I need something to connect the Sankor to the Helios?

Yes, you'll need an anamorphic clamp.  I recommend the RedStan clamps.  They are by far the best.

23 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Also are you using rods?

Yes, to hold the follow focus, which was manipulating the Rangefinder.  

24 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Sorry if I have a lot of questions. I'm really interested in building an anamorphic kit :). Thanks!

The Sankor is one of the cheapest vintage anamorphics you can find.  It's the ideal place to start, especially if you already have a GH5.