Film Halation - Resolve How-To

heart0less

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cool. Midtone contrast is also a thing one can apply after a succesful grade to milk the cow a bit more. After a long day of grading these little things are a beautiful gratification. Thanks for posting!

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You should be able to replicate the exact test as unless I'm mistaken that shot was taken in Neukölln !

Akazienstraße I would think, Schöneberg?:)

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Akazienstraße I would think, Schöneberg?:)

Nope, after some far too enthusiastic detective work I've made a positive ID with a map reference and a picture and its defo Neukölln ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ev.+Kirchengemeinde+Genezareth/@52.4770372,13.4199101,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47a84fbe14d15f9d:0xabc8649152579c03!8m2!3d52.4770372!4d13.4220988

I'd recognise those bins anywhere !

DJL_00033785.jpg.db81206426e5c867899fe288124b4541.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Good old Berlin!!

6 hours ago, Ryley K said:

Oh hey I'm the maker of this original post and I found this thread just now. I'm  little late, but the footage of the church is just some Pocket 4K footage I found and the forest stuff I shot in Banff, Alberta on the GH4.

Nice effect in Resolve. Definitely makes for a less digital look.

3 hours ago, kye said:

In Resolve you can kind of cheat and use the Glow plugin, which allows individual control of the spread of red, green and blue, so you can spread the red more than the others and you'll get a red halo.  It's not the same exactly, but is a ton less work :)

I do that also! I mostly do it for brighter light sources like car lights and streetlights. One thing I notice in film is that there is a very soft outline sometimes on objects. That's what I use edge detect for. Key the brightest parts, and then add edge detect and adjust to taste.

4 hours ago, Ryley K said:

I do that also! I mostly do it for brighter light sources like car lights and streetlights. One thing I notice in film is that there is a very soft outline sometimes on objects. That's what I use edge detect for. Key the brightest parts, and then add edge detect and adjust to taste.

very cool, could one of you guys maybe post a screengrab of what youre referring to in the latter half of this thread? im not exactly sure how to visualize it~!

6 hours ago, kaylee said:

very cool, could one of you guys maybe post a screengrab of what youre referring to in the latter half of this thread? im not exactly sure how to visualize it~!

Here's some stills from actual 16mm film. Notice how the trees have an outline when looking into the sky. That's what edge detect does well at replicating. 

Screenshot (135).png

Screenshot (134).png

Actually, this halation effect also comes from vintage lenses too.

I just took this shot of a lens I paid basically nothing for on ebay and it's got the same fringing you show above:

870855473_P1066696Petriatf3.5.thumb.jpg.dabff0004ab03e04fe748113d2a0a9b5.jpg

If you zoom in around the highlights you'll find that some stems on the plant are very red.

(This lens is well regarded and made in Japan, but are available very cheaply because they are almost impossible to take apart and clean)