New Pocket Cam footage from Brawley

Chrad

www.vimeo.com/66955436

Some footage with SLR Magic lenses, and a little with the Panasonic 14-42.

As before, looks pretty damn great for $1000.

Brawley said he shot the low light stuff at 800 and wishes he'd shot at 1600, so it's a little noisier than it should be.

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/shooting-from-the-hip-pocket/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So shaky again :(.

Lumix 14-42 shows pretty bad distortion (time 1:30, 1:50).
BMPCC crop makes this lens 40mm on it's widest end and I wouldn't like to see distortion on such narrow fov :/.

Yes, keep in mind that these lenses are calculated to cooperate with the system camera's firmware, which will correct the distortion prior to compression. It also means a loss of resolution which again is fought by the MFT implemented artificial sharpening. There may be some benefit in having AF, if it works well with the Pocket, but other than that manual lenses are better.

Shaky, yes, and again with some weird colors (Brawley style, absinth delir, instead of clean, natural looking colors). This way it's really hard to estimate the camera's resolution/sharpness, to tell how unsharp the image actually is. I bet, however, the dynamic range is very good.

Hi! I think that mark 3 would be a good decision. BMPC + 12mm +25mm = 2 500 $...
Cheap cctv lens would not be good in my opinion, maybe upcoming tests will show me that i`m wrong .

Mark 3 is around 3$. You will have no alliasing and moire.  After fixed ML it will shoot 2-3k, 60 fps in 1080p e.t.c. AND finally- you have not only the video camera, you have the best photo camera)

Mark 3 is around 3$. You will have no alliasing and moire. After fixed ML it will shoot 2-3k, 60 fps in 1080p e.t.c. AND finally- you have not only the video camera, you have the best photo camera)

Right now everybody raves about the Mark 3. I sonetimes wonder how long they know the routines to be so easily and repeatedly impressed. Didn't they see them come and go often enough to realize a pattern?

The 5D's raw is 8-bit only. Though I admit it's a big success and a decided improvement, this isn't IT! Not as good as the 2 5 k BMCC, imho.

Right now everybody raves about the Mark 3. I sonetimes wonder how long they know the routines to be so easily and repeatedly impressed. Didn't they see
them come and go often enough to realize a pattern?

The 5D's raw is 8-bit only. Though I admit it's a big success and a decided improvement, this isn't IT! Not as good as the 2 5 k BMCC, imho.

With ML 5d have 14bit RAW DNG. Why are you talking about 8bit H.264?

The Pocket footage actually looks pretty good all considering - not the best idea to just pass it around a table, but it shows a worst case scenario.

Get a lens with IS or just wack it on a tripod & i think it'll perform better than these random tests show.

I'm using the Raw record function on my 60D & i'm buying the BM Pocket without any hesitations.

The workflow is an absolute pain if you don't have an Abode pic editing product & you're on a Mac - the DR is nice, but there is something missing! Definitely a work still in progress, but how far will they get?

With the BM cameras I can import the CinemaDNG files & start editing in FCPX - no messing about.

And honestly, you wouldn't have to spend all that much & it certainly won't be as expensive as buying a 5D3+fast CF cards.

Hi! I think that mark 3 would be a good decision. BMPC + 12mm +25mm = 2 500 $...
Cheap cctv lens would not be good in my opinion, maybe upcoming tests will show me that i`m wrong .

Mark 3 is around 3$. You will have no alliasing and moire.  After fixed ML it will shoot 2-3k, 60 fps in 1080p e.t.c. AND finally- you have not only the video camera, you have the best photo camera)

For me BMPCC rules :). I'm not professional and it covers everething I need:

1. really pocketable when needed [5D is huge]:  BMPCC + pancake (12mm Oly, 20mm Panas..)

2. excellent RAW workflow: compressed RAW + free DaVinci Resolve Lite (couse it's 2k video)

3. flexible: can use my cheap Canon FD, m42 and my wife's Nikon (or whatever she finally choose) lenses... + upcomming SpeedBooster/LensTurbo

4. cheaper (for me): can use any lens I already have + cheap SD cards = 2k$ (with 1-2 pancakes) and I'm all set.

And I don't need stills. I have a wife for taking pictures ;).

For me BMPCC rules :). I'm not professional and it covers everething I need:

1. really pocketable when needed [5D is huge]:  BMPCC + pancake (12mm Oly, 20mm Panas..)

2. excellent RAW workflow: compressed RAW + free DaVinci Resolve Lite (couse it's 2k video)

3. flexible: can use my cheap Canon FD, m42 and my wife's Nikon (or whatever she finally choose) lenses... + upcomming SpeedBooster/LensTurbo

4. cheaper (for me): can use any lens I already have + cheap SD cards = 2k$ (with 1-2 pancakes) and I'm all set.

And I don't need stills. I have a wife for taking pictures ;).

Thanks! You are right here. I am thinking about 17.5 mm nokton 0.95, but it's so expensive!A little pity that BMPC can't shoot 60fps

Thanks! You are right here. I am thinking about 17.5 mm nokton 0.95, but it's so expensive!A little pity that BMPC can't shoot 60fps

I'm an amateur, so can be wrong, but I was thinking, for extreme low light (instead of Nokton's 1k$/1lens) to use upcoming Speedbooster (400-500$) or LensTurbo (200$) + lenses like:

Any modern 50mm/1.4 (400$) -> 36mm/1.0

Samyang 24mm/1.4 (600$)  -> 17mm/1.0

Sigma 20mm/1.8 (600$)       -> 14mm/1.2

Or cheaper: LensTurbo (200$) + Canon FD (50/1.4, 24/2.0 ...) (100-200$)

The only problem is very wide angle.. Not many options.

Probably will use SLRMagic 12/1.6 or Olympus 12/2.0 .. but it's still ~35mm FF equivalent.. Have to test if it's enough for me.

And I hope to see more m4/3 lenses in future.. like anamorphic SLRMagic?...

I'm an amateur, so can be wrong, but I was thinking, for extreme low light (instead of Nokton's 1k$/1lens) to use upcoming Speedbooster (400-500$) or LensTurbo (200$) + lenses like:

Any modern 50mm/1.4 (400$) -> 36mm/1.0

Samyang 24mm/1.4 (600$)  -> 17mm/1.0

Sigma 20mm/1.8 (600$)       -> 14mm/1.2

Or more cheaper: LensTurbo (200$) + Canon FD (50/1.4, 24/2.0 ...) (100-200$)

The only problem is very wide angle.. Not many options.

Probably will use SLRMagic 12/1.6 or Olympus 12/2.0 .. but it's still ~35mm FF equivalent.. Have to test if it's enough for me.

And I hope to see more m4/3 lenses in future.. like anamorphic SLRMagic?...

Yes! 

Samyang 24mm/1.4 (600$)  -> 17mm/1.0

Sigma 20mm/1.8 (600$)       -> 14mm/1.4 ~ 40mm on BMPC

Nice variant.  When should we expecting of metabones speedbooster?

By the way, Panasonic 25mm 1.4- nice choise 

Sigma 20mm/1.8 (600$)       -> 14mm/1.4 ~ 40mm on BMPC

Nice variant.  When should we expecting of metabones speedbooster?

I think that:

f2.8 -> f2

f2    -> f1.4

f1.8 -> f1.2-f1.3

f1.4 -> f1.0

Besides I don't think that speedbooster gives exacly 1-stop.. It's something around.

Metabones speedboosters plans: http://www.metabones.com/speed-booster-questions

Mitakon lensturbo plans: http://www.43rumors.com/it-is-true-lens-turbo-coming-for-mft-the-second-half-of-the-year/

Important note about this footage: shot in ProRes.

Author's comment from blog:

"

Hi John,

…. could you just let us know whether you shot in RAW for this one or ProRes?...

johnbrawley says:

RAW is not yet functioning with the firmware.

"