It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Finally! Graded, exported, edited, uploaded...

http://vimeo.com/67023056

Details on Vimeo. Make sure to download the original file.

/Edit: By the way.. you might notice some skipping frames, that's probably my fault with making the image sequences. Had some trouble with that... I didn't experience frame skipping during recording.

I liked the skipped frames. With the music it seemed like a stylistic choice, almost like Gondry's Star Guitar music video.

I did note the bus was a bit 'wobbly'. Any chance the rolling shutter could be improved with future builds?

But mainly, GREAT WORK JULIAN!

Thanks Tim!

[url=https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6277c46a98731a6c795f8f5e6c5c8d5d20130526234611/38ccc37246a862f48ee3d397f664216a20130526234611/cd541e]500MB DNG sequence[/url]

Please download and check if the camera skips frames, or if I did something wrong in post. Big chance it's the last option :)

If the camera skips frames, that will be fixed. It didn't drop any frame during recording at 1280x960p.

Thanks Tim!

500MB DNG sequence

Please download and check if the camera skips frames, or if I did something wrong in post. Big chance it's the last option :)

If the camera skips frames, that will be fixed. It didn't drop any frame during recording at 1280x960p.

Haven't spotted skipped frames on the girl's walking....

Really wish rather than trying to port it to so many cameras, Magic Lantern would work on fixing these dropped frames. I keep hearing all this language online about 'Why would Canon cripple their cameras so much and not allow this amazing quality?!' I think the proof is in the pudding: because this stuff is mad unstable and at best unreliable. I wouldn't call the 50d a 'monster' worth selling your GH2 for if you can't even get 10 stinkin' seconds out of it before the thing freezes up. Just my two cents... 

Interesting video footage...looks pretty much like a gh2.

well, since a panasonic was brought up again, ill try my question again...

i like to feel like im update on all the dslr action going on, but i was just asked to shoot on the companies GH3 cameras rather than an EPIC i had booked for the job. the producer said " the owner has a fully ported GH3 that shoots 4k uncompressed"...

needless to say i was like what???

is this possible or can be true? i need to know before i knock it down.

thanks in advance everyone!

Really wish rather than trying to port it to so many cameras, Magic Lantern would work on fixing these dropped frames. I keep hearing all this language online about 'Why would Canon cripple their cameras so much and not allow this amazing quality?!' I think the proof is in the pudding: because this stuff is mad unstable and at best unreliable. I wouldn't call the 50d a 'monster' worth selling your GH2 for if you can't even get 10 stinkin' seconds out of it before the thing freezes up. Just my two cents... 

You are misinformed sir. 1592x720p I can record as long as I want. No 10 second limit or anything. The dropped frames are my fault, yes, it was stupid of me to upload it like that.. Long day yesterday. I exported to 23.976 fps and shot at 24 fps, that might be it. Trying to upload it again.

Download the DNG's I posted above and see for yourself.

I'm not selling my GH2 and wouldn't advice anyone to do so. I'm keeping it (or trading it for a G6) next to the 50D.

@Jlev23: like is said on the previous page:

Bullshit. There would have been a million topics about it on this forum if that was even remotely true :)

You are misinformed sir. 1592x720p I can record as long as I want. No 10 second limit or anything. The dropped frames are my fault, yes, it was stupid of me to upload it like that.. Long day yesterday. I exported to 23.976 fps and shot at 24 fps, that might be it. Trying to upload it again.

Download the DNG's I posted above and see for yourself.

I'm not selling my GH2 and wouldn't advice anyone to do so. I'm keeping it (or trading it for a G6) next to the 50D.

@Jlev23: like is said on the previous page:

Bullshit. There would have been a million topics about it on this forum if that was even remotely true :)

i wouldnt believe it either except that its the owner of one of the biggest VFX/Design companies in the country and he has said he has shot his last few projects with this set up. very strange.

I went a little crazy in the wake of it's discovery. I don't think I'm ever going to part with my GH2. 

I'm now thinking that a GH2 and a 50D is the best plan of action. Those two would cover a lot of ground, giving me the option to shoot a decent image compressed (GH2) or raw (50D).

I love the raw coming from the 50D from what I have seen. The anamorphic footage posted by julian looks great. The motion looks a little juddery but I have no idea if that's the camera or the workflow.

well, since a panasonic was brought up again, ill try my question again...

i like to feel like im update on all the dslr action going on, but i was just asked to shoot on the companies GH3 cameras rather than an EPIC i had booked for the job. the producer said " the owner has a fully ported GH3 that shoots 4k uncompressed"...

needless to say i was like what???

is this possible or can be true? i need to know before i knock it down.

thanks in advance everyone!

If you were panasonic, for example, then it's entirely possible. Probably quite easy I would venture to say. The likelihood of an individual having done it however is in inquantifiably unlikely. 

i wouldnt believe it either except that its the owner of one of the biggest VFX/Design companies in the country and he has said he has shot his last few projects with this set up. very strange.

Let him show you the proof and keep us updated (and show it...) :) Maybe he's a genius or working on something top secret at Panasonic. Not likely.

Lets get back on topic. I did a fast 50D vs 5D II test! Will publish this evening.

Let him show you the proof and keep us updated (and show it...) :) Maybe he's a genius or working on something top secret at Panasonic. Not likely.

Lets get back on topic. I did a fast 50D vs 5D II test! Will publish this evening.

well, ive talked the producer into letting me shoot on the epic since its my crews workflow they are used to, but im going to have him bring in his GH3's and have my DIT look at the entire situation, but according to them, thats what they have been doing. 

Can anyone explain how to actually turn on the RAW video capture mode on the 50D? I loaded Magic Lantern software and found an item in the Debug menu that says "don't click me" and the description says "this will turn your camera into a 1Dc or blow it up." I assume this it the menu item for enabling RAW video, but when I click on it the live view goes to static. Tried to post an image of it here but I am new to the forum and could not figure out how to paste my image yet. :/

I wouldn't suggest Minolta MD/MC or Canon FD glass on Canon EOS mount. It is 'possible', but only with adapters that have an optical element in side. This makes the image quality worse.

Safe options for Canon EOS are Nikon F and M42, lots of choice in both systems. Plenty other exotics work as well, Leica R and who knows what more.

Look at this table: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Canon EOS has a 44mm register distance. Every system that has a longer distance works. So everything that's below EOS in the list is adaptable in theory.

If the adapter is good quality it's OK - It's all about the glass. In any case, I only use it for low light situations.