It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With 70MB/s higher resolutions (in crop mode) and framerates are possible.

For 1584x892 @ 24 fps (max width in full sensor mode) you need about 57-59MB/s I think. So with 70MB/s you can get higher framerates (30 is max).

In 5x crop mode the 50D can go to a maximum resolution of 2000x1080p, and for that you need way more than 70MB/s. As soon as I get my Komputerbay 64GB card I'll test what's the max possible continuous resolution. 1920x720 was already working.

Zoom first, then go into the ML menu and you can select the other resolutions. Preview is pink and you don't get what you see (the recorded area is much bigger than the zoomed area you see).

I just checked and 2.35:1 @ 2000x852 should be possible (68.1MB/s needed)

Or 2.20:1 @ 1920x872 (66.9MB/s needed)

2:1 at 1920x960 would be nice but at 73.7MB/s that is a bit too much currently I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently shooting a short film with the 5DM3 Raw at 1920x1080.  The image is great, but there's just something about the image from my 50D that I love.  I would like to bring the 50D onboard as a 2nd camera, but am concerned about the two resolutions mixing well together.  Do you all think the 50D footage upscaled to 1920x1080 will be consistent with my 5DM3's 1920x1080 footage? 

• Administrators

Depends on the shot.

I wouldn't use the 50D for wides. The lower resolution will show up on those shots, as will aliasing / moire quite often as well.

I'd use the 50D for telephoto work especially in crop mode, and as a B cam at fast apertures with a 50mm or longer prime, then it will cut in easily with the 5D3. Image is generally lovely.

• Administrators

Make sure you have the ML greyscale preview enabled and it is not set to Canon preview. I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate yet - only just got my 50D. Perhaps Julian will know better. It is still early stages code and large parts of it are experimental so you can't expect perfection. Go with the 5D Mark III if you need no moire - but the 50D is still incredibly capable for the money. Mine cost me 400 euros and the 5D Mark III is 3000.

I'm a bit behind all of the recent developments. Busy with work and other camera's (a new one tomorrow... which I can tell more about on Thursday ;))

1080p in crop mode only works with a very experimental build by 1% and with a lot of tweaks as far as I know. Not with the unified one.

Check the super active topics at ML:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.1825

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.75