It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Awesome! Thanks! ILY!  I'm getting no dropped frames at 1280x720, how do I increase the size to exactly 1592x896?

I'm keen to use my la7200 for some anamorphic shots :D

Thanks again Julian

Just change the size at the raw video options? If you don't have experience with ML just read the manual for Unified 2.3, at least you'll understand how to access extra menu's and stuff - it's a piece of cake. The whole manual is even inside of the camera if you download ML 2.3.

Hints: press 'func', the set button and use the scroll wheel...

Max height of the 50D live view feed is 1058 px in full sensor mode or 1080 px in zoomed mode. You can select a square recording area so these will be your maximum squares. You can select about every other aspect ratio as well, like 5:4, 4:3 etc. All great for anamorphics!

Found some time to edit my shots I made earlier this week.

Experimented with a new workflow, I wanted something faster than ACR/Bridge, so I used RAWanizer to convert to CineformRAW 444 (about 10 minutes for 21GB of footage), graded the clips in Davincie Resolve Lite 9 and edited in Premiere CS6.

http://vimeo.com/67916713

10 Mins 21 Gig - lol sadly no way this will eek its way into any PM's budget. Home use - amazing - real world not yet .

Is that any slower than converting 21Gb worth of h264 footage to prores? Because that's what everyone has been doing for the past 3 or 4 years for much worse results, and it hasn't stop anyone! :)

Just change the size at the raw video options? If you don't have experience with ML just read the manual for Unified 2.3, at least you'll understand how to access extra menu's and stuff - it's a piece of cake. The whole manual is even inside of the camera if you download ML 2.3.

Hints: press 'func', the set button and use the scroll wheel...

I just realised I was using Smeangol's build, now I'm using Gregory's build and am getting 1592x896. 

Cheers

10 Mins 21 Gig - lol sadly no way this will eek its way into any PM's budget. Home use - amazing - real world not yet .

This is only relevant during acquisition.
If you don't like the big files you could just convert to cineform 422 or something for small size. You could do this in the field with a laptop - unload your card, convert the raws, empty card, shoot more...

I think this would work fine for longer low budget projects as well.

Using the May 28 build and the settings recommended throughout this post, I did a test run and posted the video on Vimeo.  I have a Lexar 64Gb 1000X card and was able to record at 16:9 at 57mbps without filling the buffer but had issues at 3:2 at 71mbps and couldn't achieve more than 450 frames before stopping.

I used an external SmallHD monitor via HDMI and had weird intermittent frame garbage.  Happened in both 16:9 and 3:2.

Workflow was RAW>raw2dng>Photoshop RAW>TIFF>Quicktime>FinalCut 7.  

Shot with a Moller Bolex 1.5x anamorphic lens and Zeiss 80mm f/2.8.

www.vimeo.com/67965891

After reading this very fine article, I picked up a 50D on eBay for under $400. I have a 5D2 and a 5D3. Using the ML software, in the movie mode enable menu I only see two options; 1920x1080 30fps and 640x480. How did you get to the movie resolutions you tested in the ML menu?

After reading this very fine article, I picked up a 50D on eBay for under $400. I have a 5D2 and a 5D3. Using the ML software, in the movie mode enable menu I only see two options; 1920x1080 30fps and 640x480. How did you get to the movie resolutions you tested in the ML menu?

Press the "FUNC" button under the LCD.  Julian says this in post #166 above.

First download the raw hack and load the modules ;) 1080p and 480p are just for h264 on the Canon 50D.

Found out today, via the ML forums, that you better turn ON the H264 movie mode when shooting raw with the 50D. Then it turns the whole camera to 'movie' mode and you get correct exposure etc.

My first 50D test footage. I'm new at this, I experimented with a few different ISO settings but much of it was 800 or 1600 given the low light of the environment. I was getting a lot of noise and lines on the image in many cases, probably because I pushed it too far in terms of ISO and my adjustments to the raw afterward. Nikkor AIS 50mm f/1.8 for all shots. At the very least, I love how well it captured fine detail!

The memory card I used was the 64 gb Transcend 1000x card, and it performed valiantly! I had a few hiccups where the camera dropped or stopped recording, but I suspect that had more to do with some instability on the part of the build.

Apologies for the somewhat rough YouTube compression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4Bkfg80z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_hQyaIF3os