It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The data is corrupt for now. Lets wait till it actually works, but I have good hope. Remember that a lot of work has been done for other camera's, like the 5D2, most of it I think applies to the 50D as well.

Dude, thanks for all the testing and DNGs you're putting up. Major props to ya!

any recommendations on a good card for this?  Are any more reliable for video recording?  I have a couple of sandisk 16gb 600x cards, need to get a few higher ones (a couple of 32gb)

Go with 2 KomputerBay 64GB 1000x cards instead . . .  if you can afford them. You'll need the extra space.

Purchased a 50D from craigslist for $400 (only 4400 shutter actuations), and just received a KomputerBay 32GB 1000X card for testing (two 64gb cards on the way).  The footage is fantastic!!!  The image is incredibly film-like, and being able to grade raw footage is a dream.  Skintones are very pleasant.  I've been a GH1/2 shooter since 2011 and currently own 4 GH2s, and the image quality from those little cameras has been phenomenal.  I will keep them around for my commercial/corporate work, but I'm very excited about the raw movement.  I love this 50D and can't wait for the Mark iii to arrive next week.

I think tests demonstrated that 1000x is not needed with 50D, 600x is enough at a much more reasonable price.

Make sure to check their actual speed though as 600x cards aren't a tight spec anymore than folks have found with the 1000x cards.  Many I've looked at are rated at no more than 45MB/sec write speed which isn't fast enough for Julian's highest confirmed, stable raw writing performance on the 50D.    Some brands you have to look at their 700x or 800x models to find fast enough write speeds.

Great Low light capability compared to H.264 . . .

Thanks for posting this video test. Pretty comprehensive. I didn't even know the 50D before these latest developments. Looks like a great companion to my 5D mkII and mkIII. My issue with the 5Ds is the times when you need a longer DOF. I have considered the 7D, but spent that money elsewhere (on Rokinon cine primes), wondering whether a Rebel would suffice. I deliberated on the 50D for 24 hrs before ordering one on eBay used for $400.

With all the hoopla on raw video, I bought a BMCC in March but sold it a month later. It was far from versatile, had very limited functionality and if you weren't committed to the raw workflow, shooting ProRes wasn't enough to make it worth it's limitations (not to mention the 2.4 crop factor with EF lenses). And low light capability was not good either, making slower zoom lenses useless without good lighting indoors. Rigging it up was gonna drain my wallet even more. Their new models were just announced and I wanted it out the door before losing too much $$. I kept Resolve though. I guess I sensed that other developments would open up the options for RAW shooting, but did not expect this one on an old model Canon.

But man... this storage factor is not insignificant. My next significant investment.

[URL=http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/531-package/]gallery_20742_64_1835.jpg[/URL]

ML isn't taking donations, but a developer requested a 50D. I bought a 50D + Battery Grip + batteries yesterday for a good price and I shipped it today. I'm hoping we can split the costs... If you want to donate to me, send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Make sure to check their actual speed though as 600x cards aren't a tight spec anymore than folks have found with the 1000x cards.  Many I've looked at are rated at no more than 45MB/sec write speed which isn't fast enough for Julian's highest confirmed, stable raw writing performance on the 50D.    Some brands you have to look at their 700x or 800x models to find fast enough write speeds.

how do you test the speed of your card once you receive?

You can use CrystalDiskMark for example.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

CrystalDiskMark30-ja.png

These results are from a ssd.. you won't get that with a CF card ;)

Just run the Sequential test (read and write). For my Sandisk 90MB/s CF I get 96MB/s read and 66MB/s write.

Make sure you use a USB 3 reader. There is no point in doing it on a USB 2 reader...

Julian,

I've been testing with the latest test build, but am not seeing the same low-light quality you are getting in your tests.  Am I doing something wrong or setting something wrong?  I'm getting grossness at 1600 ISO.  Is there an option or something you are changing in ML?  Thanks for your help and all of great stuff going on here!  Keep up the awesome work!