It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

Wow, so impressed that this thing is developing so fast. I can't keep up.

Can anyone tell me if they ever got past the 4GB recording limitation?

Not in the current 50D built yet, but on the other camera's that's been fixed, so that should be no problem.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

UPDATE:

I will post a video later tonight about this. Basically YES, you CAN get HDMI output from the 50D (output is 1080i) as well as CLEAN HDMI (Not to be confused with uncompressed HDMI) out from the 50D - All while recording RAW!

This will improve later also.

Remember: you need to have downloaded the experimental work-in-progress alpha build to use the raw functionality. If you just get the regular Magic Lantern stable release version, then the option to shoot raw won't be there.

Is that the same as the "nightly build?" I could not find the "experimental work-in-progress alpha." You got a link for that? Thanks btw!

@JulianH - Have you done any compiling yourself? Any idea how to port the 4GB+ module to the 50D?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5655.0

I haven't done anything except using and testing the builds of others, who don't have a fast CF card to try it out yet.

/Edit: forget what I wrote here.. premature conclusions, have to check how/if the footage actually works.

New resolution test with GregoryOfManhattan's Alpha build using hacked mode.

(Check ML 50D topic, alpha testers wanted, send him a message)

Sandisk 32GB 90MB/s CF

3:2 @ 1592x1062 ~ 135 frames
5:3 @ 1952x955 ~ 270 frames
16:9 @ 1592x 895 ~ 480 frames
1.85:1 @ 1592x860 ~ 850 frames
2:1 @ 1592x796 - No skipping!

It can record over 4GB and span! I shot 1592x796 continously, stopped recording manually at 10GB. The buffer is completely fine. But right now the files don't convert properly so it's not usable yet!

Wanted to try anamorphic resolutions like 1440x1062 and 1320x990 but ran out of batteries...

Overall definitely an improvement over the previous build, that gave me these results:

1592×1062 – frame skipping after about 50 frames
1592×840 – frame skipping after about 480 frames
1592×720 – no frame skipping

New resolution test with GregoryOfManhattan's Alpha build using hacked mode.

(Check ML 50D topic, alpha testers wanted, send him a message)

Sandisk 32GB 90MB/s CF

3:2 @ 1592x1062 ~ 135 frames
5:3 @ 1952x955 ~ 270 frames
16:9 @ 1592x 895 ~ 480 frames
1.85:1 @ 1592x860 ~ 850 frames
2:1 @ 1592x796 - No skipping!

It can record over 4GB and span! I shot 1592x796 continously, stopped recording manually at 10GB. The buffer is completely fine. But right now the files don't convert properly so it's not usable yet!

Wanted to try anamorphic resolutions like 1440x1062 and 1320x990 but ran out of batteries...

Overall definitely an improvement over the previous build, that gave me these results:

1592×1062 – frame skipping after about 50 frames
1592×840 – frame skipping after about 480 frames
1592×720 – no frame skipping

Question:

Did you mean a single 10GB file, or 10GB spanned on several files? As far as I know Fat32 tops at 4GB per file.

If single, is your card formatted as Fat32 or exFat ? . . . . or did you format in camera?

My quick observations using GregoryOfManhattan's Alpha build.

- Better speed, stable 1592x796 recording (see test above)
- Playback works (B&W, slow speed)
- Buffer improved to 5 stars from 4 stars on my camera
- Way more available resolutions, select width and choose aspect ratio
- 'Digital dolly' mode works!
- Recording with live view button, I don't have to do any kind of work around

- Cropped mode works - display still turns pink but DNG files are fine!
- 4GB+ recording works but the raw files aren't converted properly yet - not usable yet, work in progress
- recording rectable / frame counter is flickering all the time (same as previous build)
- Camera crashes when trying to play back raw files made in cropped mode

Spanned over several files. I format in camera. The counter on the screen just adds up the MB's, on the card it is split in 4GB chunks.

OK. Did you have a chance to see if the video files are seamless? In other words, is there a time gap between the files?

Never mind. No way to know until the DNGs can be extracted.

UPDATE:

I will post a video later tonight about this. Basically YES, you CAN get HDMI output from the 50D (output is 1080i) as well as CLEAN HDMI (Not to be confused with uncompressed HDMI) out from the 50D - All while recording RAW!

This will improve later also.

http://vimeo.com/67271335

Keep in mind that if your monitor does not have a "Camera" or crop function, then the output will be 4:3 as the 50D does not output in 16:9 . . .

adpyNOAY.jpg

it would be nice if this worked on the 1dx

Indeed. the funny thing about this whole ordeal is ... What on earth will canon release next. I mean for instance do they think they can just do minimal video feature upgrades and sell alot. Will they try to make hardware locks for future cameras or provide even better hacker friendly products. Say 5D mark IV with 2  Sata III ports.. ;)