It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Julian for this test.

I'm quite on the edge of understanding the 50D and 5D mark II's raw video quality.

I saw very high Moire problems in your earlier video. There is allso weird looking hot pixel like problems in places.. Example the plant shot (look at the ride side plants) 1:08 (aprox).  http://vimeo.com/67023056

since I have mark II I'm very much interested in these tests. A more broad side by side test with various challenges would be very usefull. To see how they can handle it. It would be helpfull in order to understand the limitations of each camera.

Anyways thanks again.. all videos are highly valued by all of us who are following this development. :D

Tiny bit of bad news. That test I posted earlier, at ISO H2, 12.800 (and has gone completely viral... :D) is probably H1 (6400). It seems that putting the 50D in H2 doesn't affect live view or raw video. Only still pics.

But still, not bad I think. Here's another shot:

[URL=http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/524-iso6400/]gallery_20742_64_302701.jpg[/URL]

1592x840, ISO 6400, Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Here is a still frame. DNG converted with some luma and color noise reduction. Upsized to 1920 width in Photoshop and added some unsharp mask.

Can anyone explain how to actually turn on the RAW video capture mode on the 50D? I loaded Magic Lantern software and found an item in the Debug menu that says "don't click me" and the description says "this will turn your camera into a 1Dc or blow it up." I assume this it the menu item for enabling RAW video, but when I click on it the live view goes to static. Tried to post an image of it here but I am new to the forum and could not figure out how to paste my image yet. :/

No, no, haha -- those are just joke/stress test menu items.

The raw mode is under the Movie tab in the Magic Lantern menu.

Andrew posted a picture of it a while back:

IMG_5266.jpg

Remember: you need to have downloaded the experimental work-in-progress alpha build to use the raw functionality. If you just get the regular Magic Lantern stable release version, then the option to shoot raw won't be there.

50D vs 5D Mark II :) Notes and details/settings on Vimeo, and downloadable of course.

http://vimeo.com/67084920

Julian, with all due respect and appreciation for your time and efforts: what this test is supposed to show? Rolling Shutter? no. Moire? Hardly. Resolution? Doubt it )))) Just your thoughts behind this. Please no offense )

This was just a preview. I invited James, Richard and Hammond over for a Top Gear RAW Camera Challenge. They are just finishing their crash course into raw video and will start shooting the next 8 hours, there's also a La Ferrari, Lambo Venero and a caravan involved. I'll be up all night to process the results!

But cutting off 2 or 4 bits has nothing to do with floating point calculations. For the processor it takes only to perform a byte-rotating command which is extremely low-resource consuming, as far as I remember from Asm programming. Squeezing 14 bits into 10 or 12 is much simpler than debayering or encoding for sure. So I tend to have big faith in this feature. Ml team really rock....

Now, let's beat some dead dogs here ))))

Andrew reported that on 5DM3 he can both: have the RAW stream recorded on CF card and have the HDMI feed transmitted to a monitor.

Is there any chance 50D could do smth like this?

Thanks! )

Monitoring - Just tested it with my Lillieput monitor. It works.

acqwLhL3.jpg

Cool, that's good news!

I fixed the frame skipping on my anamorphic video. The image sequences were imported as 25 fps and my project was 24 fps. Simple as that. Reuploaded the correct file:

http://vimeo.com/67023056

That noise test I posted earlier has gone completely viral since it was featured on EOSHD... It's on DPreview.com, Engadget, Cnet Australia, Petapixel and a lot more websites :D

Bummer the video isn't completely correct, as I found out the H2 setting doesn't actually do anything, it is H1.. I will fix that tomorrow in the video and reupload a file with more footage shot at H1 (6400). Will try to do some underexposed shots and push them to 12800, 25600, etc ;) Curious how far I can go...

MOONGOAT, on 27 May 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

lol @ all these people thinking RAW is the be all-end all. Of course it's nice but 1) it's not going to make you any better and 2) it's not going to help you do your job. Actually it's going to make your job harder.

Who said it was? I don't think I've heard that from anyone but you!

. . . and it's not a perfect camera . . . This is not a camera to take to a time-constrained corporate shoot. It's a "LOVE PROJECT" camera.

It's a nice (better than average) stills camera, and a very nice 14-bit RAW video camera - oh, did I mention it costs $400??

Monitoring - Just tested it with my Lillieput monitor. It works.

acqwLhL3.jpg

Oscar thanks a lot!

May I ask just to cast away all doubts: HDMI out is working simultaneously as RAW is being recorded to CF card?

You made my day anyway, have a good day too! )

PS Oops, I guess the image on the monitor shows that the camera is recording RAW )

Hi, Oscar why for example in Photoshop they indicates only 8 bits

I know is 8,16,32 bits per channel so which software can tell us a

project is a 14 bits raw

For some reason ACR defaults to those settings. I'm not quite sure which program. . . perhaps opening the DNGs in Adobe Lightroom will be more accurate. I'll try some different ones and see . . .

Oscar thanks a lot!

May I ask just to cast away all doubts: HDMI out is working simultaneously as RAW is being recorded to CF card?

You made my day anyway, have a good day too! )

PS Oops, I guess the image on the monitor shows that the camera is recording RAW )

That is correct. That was a quick iphone pic I took. I will post the video tonight.