It lives! 5 year old $350 Canon 50D becomes raw cinema monster

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Magic Lantern 50D C

Above: "50D C"

Avoid the inevitable price rises and buy your 50D now on eBay

It seems the 50D is the best Super 35mm DSLR for raw video from Canon.

The sensor resolves very clean highly detailed raw video with hardly any moire or aliasing, at a higher quality than the Rebel lines does.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10507/it-lives-5-year-old-350-canon-50d-becomes-raw-cinema-monster]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Holy moly! Does this mean I should sell my GH2 and get a 50d?!?! All my glass is EF compatible (even have some electronic EF glass)!

Everything has been turned completely on it's head and I am left floundering in magic lanterns wake. 

I can't believe I am considering selling a camera that a company designed for video use, for a camera that a company didn't even implement video on in the first place.

Holy moly! Does this mean I should sell my GH2 and get a 50d?!?! All my glass is EF compatible (even have some electronic EF glass)!

Everything has been turned completely on it's head and I am left floundering in magic lanterns wake. 

I can't believe I am considering selling a camera that a company designed for video use, for a camera that a company didn't even implement video on in the first place.

Whoa whoa whoa! Look at some of the footage rolling off of the 50D before selling the GH2. Make an educated decision about it. If you can find the + or - $450 go for it. But you lose a couple of things on the 50D as a filmmaker. Truly groundbreaking, though. I've been watching this develop and have had my hand hovering over the "buy now" button. I think it is a very capable camera. But something hurts when I almost see a GH2 fly out the window.

Whoa whoa whoa! Look at some of the footage rolling off of the 50D before selling the GH2. Make an educated decision about it. If you can find the + or - $450 go for it. But you lose a couple of things on the 50D as a filmmaker. Truly groundbreaking, though. I've been watching this develop and have had my hand hovering over the "buy now" button. I think it is a very capable camera. But something hurts when I almost see a GH2 fly out the window.

This raw hack has whipped me up into a frenzy. I started shooting stills years before video and became very used to working with raw files. For my entire time filmmaking I have been irritated that I'm forced to shoot in a compressed codec and suddenly I am presented with a camera that shoots raw that I could swap to for no money? Seems like a no brainer.

The ML team have unlocked compressed video on the 50d too and it has a nice enough image from what I have seen.

I shoot narrative mainly, so a super 35 raw camera for £350 is a dream come true. Even several of my lenses will become more easily useable. At the moment I have to quickly put the lens on a Canon body to set the aperture, then put it back on the GH2. I only swapped to the GH2 a few months ago because I wasn't happy with the mush the 550D was giving me. Prior to that I have had a 10D and a 30D so you could say I'm a bit of a closet Canon man really. I just hate the way they tier their products based on arbitrary firmware implementations and minor hardware difference.

It's now even more obvious than it already was that the camera manufacturers all have a meeting once every few months to decide which feature they shall all implement next. The progression of the technology is far to linear across the manufacturers. BMD have clearly broken the mould and I praise them greatly for doing so. 

Well i just tested here and.........

.... doesnt look that good.

I dont know if im doing something wrong but im using the smeangol module and a 600x Transcend CF

i got about 86 frames in 1592x720 ISO 1600 with a Canon 50mm f/1.8

Then i shot a movie clip in 50D ML fullHD h264.

So if anyone want the DNG im uploading to media fire

Thats the results:

Video 50D h264

http://www.mediafire.com/?v765pzr060cqzzc

DNG 000

DNG 045

So what you think?

This raw hack has whipped me up into a frenzy. I started shooting stills years before video and became very used to working with raw files. For my entire time filmmaking I have been irritated that I'm forced to shoot in a compressed codec and suddenly I am presented with a camera that shoots raw that I could swap to for no money? Seems like a no brainer.

The ML team have unlocked compressed video on the 50d too and it has a nice enough image from what I have seen.

I shoot narrative mainly, so a super 35 raw camera for £350 is a dream come true. Even several of my lenses will become more easily useable. At the moment I have to quickly put the lens on a Canon body to set the aperture, then put it back on the GH2. I only swapped to the GH2 a few months ago because I wasn't happy with the mush the 550D was giving me. Prior to that I have had a 10D and a 30D so you could say I'm a bit of a closet Canon man really. I just hate the way they tier their products based on arbitrary firmware implementations and minor hardware difference.

It's now even more obvious than it already was that the camera manufacturers all have a meeting once every few months to decide which feature they shall all implement next. The progression of the technology is far to linear across the manufacturers. BMD have clearly broken the mould and I praise them greatly for doing so. 

I have to say, I'm right there with you.  The GH2 was my first 1080p camera, and now it feels like I was a bit cheated.  But I got some really wonderful footage out of it.  Only recently has it looked like it might look good with a for sale sign next to it.  I really agree with you about the industry these days.  There are too many cameras out there that excel at one thing and completely bomb at another.  I invested in the GH3 so that I could have the king of mirrorless cameras.  It has been a slow ride, but I've been nothing but happy with it.  And then Canon raw happens.  And now every friend of mine with a 7D looks like the smartest guy/gal in the Universe.  I even sent a message to my friend with a 5D Mark III to tell him that I bet on the wrong pony.  But here's the kicker:  he isn't going to hack his camera.  He is making great money off of the 5D right now and might lose out on some of that business with a modified camera.  (I might still try to persuade him!)

Once I heard that, I took a step back from this and looked at old reliable.  There she stood, with her black plastic body and said "Hack me again, we'll have fun."  As a side note:  I've been watching Upstream Color. :-)

I really think that you should go for the 50D.  You've made me think about it again.  There is some footage of a brick wall floating around on the forum.  It is interesting to look at.  Also, there is an anamorphic shot and a sharpened anamorphic shot.  I've been looking at it all day and I've come to my own conclusion about it.  But it is still early.  And there is a 95% chance that I will regret not getting one of these bodies while they are $450.  I do however remember seeing that it doesn't have audio recording on the body.  So all of that might have to be external and matched later on.  But that might be beneficial!  Seriously though, a 5 year old camera with above 720p raw.  Blows the mind!  Don't let me convince you otherwise.

Awesome development, but I am certainly not planning to run out and sell my GH cameras to replace them with previous-generation Canon DSLRs. Thanks to Blackmagic and ML raw video is here to stay, and so I don't think it will be long before raw video is as integral a feature as raw stills on most if not all new DSLRs. I feel Canon owners are pretty lucky because they can start tinkering with raw right now, but for everyone else, just relax and remember the camera you own right now is still great for all the reasons you bought it for in the first place!

Right now ML is working on another breakthrough development to shoot RAW in 12-bit and 10-bit. When that happens and with perhaps a development to write to SSD, the 50D will theoretically be able to perhaps shoot 2.5K RAW!!! . . . maybe even 3.5K RAW!!!

Get them now while they're cheap!

Right now ML is working on another breakthrough development to shoot RAW in 12-bit and 10-bit. When that happens and with perhaps a development to write to SSD, the 50D will theoretically be able to perhaps shoot 2.5K RAW!!! . . . maybe even 3.5K RAW!!!

Get them now while they're cheap!

I'm a complete newbie, but what difference in image quality does 12bit vs 10bit make?  I'm assuming that 10bit recording would take up less data…meaning the write speed of a CF card would be less demanding?  Would you still get a 50d if you already had an MKIII?

DXOMark rates Canon 50D close to GH2 in term of low light performance and in general. 5D Mark II is one stop and a half better in high ISO including dynamic range. The difference between 15MPx and 18Px is not that big. For example 20D and 30D were 8MPx cameras.  There is no serious evidence so far that 50D will be as good as 5D Mark II in low light. 

But one of the two sample footage we have shows less moire and aliasing than 5D Mark II. We have to see some good comparison  before drawing final conclusions. 

So far 5D Mark III is outstanding: 1080p clean with great detail, low light performance, very little moire and aliasing. Mark II is second with less resolution, still OK when up scaled to 1080p but some really pronounced moire and aliasing. 

We have to see if the image from 50D will be better than Mark II at least in daylight. It would be interesting to see how 50D and 5D Mark II perform against 5D Mark III in RAW video.

Until we see some real good footage from 50D am holding my purchase. So far none except 5D Mark III gets me excited about RAW. If am going to spend hours and hours on the computer to process RAW footage better have a good reason to do it. Time sometimes has more value than money. Would rather spend 1000$ on BMPCC.