Fav focal length (FOV)

Emanuel

35mm equivalent or in such terms, of course.

That is, focal length obviously doesn't change based on the sensor format, the FOV does. So, for the subject matter, take it as you're shooting FF ; )

My first cup of tea is 30-35mm. A bit wide, less than regular perspective, the way humans see the world, but already far enough from reality. More versatile than others IMO once you can use it for portrait but ready for street shooting as you wish.

Being a widest my 3rd choice and a telephoto lens for fourth, preferentially a zoom because of several re-framing options I may have.

Needless to say the 2nd place.

Yours?

The most focal lengths you use will dictate the product you output as much as the duration of your shots or the scale, your editing style.

If you'd choose one sole prime lens, which one would it be?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am contemplating this exact question and I think it might be something like 35mm.  

We all know 28mm because it's the widest end of the kit lens and most phones, and it's very flexible but I think a little too wide for nice people shots.  35mm is still an environmental portrait but is a little nicer aesthetically.

In terms of going wider, you always want a wider lens unless you've got something around the 12mm mark, which makes landscapes look great, so 28mm is a compromise for both people and landscapes.  Most videos are more about the people than the scenery, and you can always pan, which reveals the scenery instead of just hitting you with it like a still image needs to.

Like Jon I love the ability to punch in, so I'd be tempted to get a lens that was about 35mm punched in, and was wider at the full sensor read-out.

Of course, in reality, it's easy and cheap to add a 50mm equivalent, so combined with crop mode that would give you ~25mm, ~35mm, 50mm, and ~80 with just two primes.  and you can scale a bit in post without losing much quality, especially if you shoot in 4K, so the flexibility is there :)

I like so many different things I can not just have one favourite focal length.

My favourite LENS is 17mm but it is also a tilt shift and I use it shifted a fair bit.

I do love the focal length as it means I can shoot a four or five piece rock band and get them all in shot and focus from next to the stage as well as fit in a fairly large building from up close or a building interior or a wide angle landscape.

I also love 85mm as a focal length for portraits with reasonably blurred background (using generally from about f2 to 5.6) though anything from around 55mm to 150mm will work for me too shooting within a close distance.

I like 150mm as a macro focal length at 1:1

I like 300mm as a focal length for sports and animals and also especially for portraits outdoors with room to move and with enough distance indoors though not often I can use that.

I am not so sure I like 17mm for portraits of individuals or 85mm for MOST landscapes (it actually does work but not often for me) and certainly not 85mm and up at fast apertures for landscapes.      Not 300mm for complete buildings up close or architecture or full stage band shots either at  pub indoor gigs.

90% of my shots are 28mm on APS-C (42mm on FF). I think I'd use a 24mm more often if I had a good one--my zooms in that range have no character.

28mm is great for wide shots if you've got enough space, but really shines for medium shots and close ups. It's not exactly "flattering," but really makes a face jump out from the background in a way that a longer lens can't. I love the DOF at f4: your eye immediately knows what's in focus, but you can still tell what's behind the blur. It guides your eye, but maintains the scene's context.

Some years ago I read this article, and I still agree with it 100%.

7 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

. I love the DOF at f4: your eye immediately knows what's in focus, but you can still tell what's behind the blur. It guides your eye, but maintains the scene's context.

Some years ago I read this article, and I still agree with it 100%.

Totally agree! To many people are shooting at F2.8 or faster and more often than not the footage is out of focus and looks soft. F4 - F5.6 is the sweet spot for me. Most lenses are really sharp at that point and you can get a respectable amount of DOF with it depending on focal length and distance to the subject. 

• 1 year later...