"Plants" from companies on this forum

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, leslie said:

you can turn your tv on too any current affairs program or news program and see that people are exploiting or bullying (or insert favourite rant here) one another in every aspect of life it aint just the forum.  hence vigilance is required  no more no less than out there in the real world.

Actually, my TVs don't tune into anything other than online digital content :)

But yes, we're starting to get to the business end of globalisation and the information age and lots of people aren't happy about having the world turned upside-down without their prior approval.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, Inazuma said:

That's great Andrew.

By the way have you heard of the Canon EOS R? I've been trying it all weekend and it's just fantastic!

I know your comment is forum banter but i've actually just been using the EOS R.. and i actually like it.. enough to even purchase it! (putting flame suit on)

But please don't shame me Andrew, I am not a paid Canon shill !!! ?

4 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I would like to see peter m disclose his canon payments once. The 6d ii & the eos r promotion; saying he is going to use it all the time, then still just uses the 1dx ii. Makes you wonder, maybe canada doesn't have laws requiring you to disclose?

He had to ship the camera back to canon (also gives further insight into EOS R vs 1DX2): Saying goodbye to the EOS R... For now

Maybe i'm being naive but i seriously don't think every youtuber praising the EOS R is necessarily a paid shill or did so because they were sent to Hawaii.

Having some hands-on experience with the camera and it's lens system does me give a solid impression, especially as a hybrid / B-cam to a 1DX2/C100/200/300.

• Administrators

Funny, I also had my hands on the EOS R at Photokina and could have sworn it felt like a cheap $500 mirrorless camera with poor ergonomics and really dated video mode, but then I don't have 700,000 hungry Canon viewers on my YouTube channel to feed.

• Administrators

Yes but you are talking from a bit of an outsider perspective, that of a stills shooter not interested in video! The rest of us want to shoot video, and clearly Fujifilm offers a more ergonomic and higher spec body for less money with the X-T3 and X-H1. While Nikon Z7 is superior in the specs and ergonomics department as well. For instance, being able to instantly toggle between stills/movie mode on the lever, rather than having to press M and enter a sub-menu and then press info and then use the d-pad to select the mode. The mode dial and live-view lever on previous Canons worked well. Why go backwards?

Meanwhile others have caught up with autofocus. Jordan Drake at DPR is saying the EOS R actually has a major bug. It keeps confirming focus on the subject and then front-focussing.

The M.fn bar is a disaster as well. Too sensitive, so it keeps adjusting settings invisibly every time you handle the camera or place it down.

Trust me on this mate.

Canon have lost some of their best staff to competitors.

At Photokina the actual user feedback after getting their hands on the EOS R was lukewarm to say the least from Canon's own loyal fanbase and it failed to deliver a buzz.

I don't really understand what you see in this thing. It's not a 6D Mark II (just works) ergonomically, it's not a high-spec body or robust, it's not competitive for video and the stills aren't better than a 5D Mark IV or really much better than a 6D Mark II either, so unless you want to drop over $5000 on the only two nice native lenses wouldn't you be better off with an X-T3 and some Fuji glass?

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes but you are talking from a bit of an outsider perspective, that of a stills shooter not interested in video! 

No video is a big part of it. I will use it for video at work and probably sell my X-H1. But I get your point. If I only wanted video I would get something else. Probably a C100ii.

• Administrators

Yes sure Mattias C100 ii is a workhorse, trusted, familiar and reliable. I am more interested in auteur filmmaking and cinematography, where you'd go to great lengths to bring a Russian LOMO anamorphic into service for the hell of it... Beautiful artistic reasons over efficiency. Slowly crafting something rather than delivering for a client and getting paid. It's different mindset. Here the camera isn't just a gear in the job machine. For same artistic reasons you may want full frame, which rules out C100 II. For same artistic reasons you may not want to shoot 1.8x crop from a $3000 full frame lens and might consider the $3000 better spent on glass for a Nikon Z7.

As well as the artistic side, where the EOS R fails to excite me, it fails to excite me equally as much on the technical side. It's just old chips. Old sensor. Not exactly an X-T3 or Z7. I have a blog to write about innovative camera technology. Not much to say about the EOS R on that front but the lenses are good.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

As well as the artistic side, where the EOS R fails to excite me, it fails to excite me equally as much on the technical side. It's just old chips. Old sensor. Not exactly an X-T3 or Z7. I have a blog to write about innovative camera technology. Not much to say about the EOS R on that front but the lenses are good.

The lenses look exciting unless you want to be compact, but you can only use them for stills, and for stills you better spend that money on medium format which is so superior in every way except being compact, but these canon lenses are not compact so... Ah yes, autofocus, the reason is -6 ev autofocus.

• Administrators

Yes we are talking Fuji GFX prices for those new Canon R mount lenses. The 63mm F2.8 is incredible on the 50S. Actually it is a lot lighter than the EOS R 50mm F1.2L and a bit more compact.

It's a big investment in lenses that can only be used on one system. At least with EF, you can sell everything else and use it on pretty much any camera system.

How many times is your shot -6ev under exposed that you need that kind of low-light AF?

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes sure Mattias C100 ii is a workhorse, trusted, familiar and reliable. I am more interested in auteur filmmaking and cinematography, where you'd go to great lengths to bring a Russian LOMO anamorphic into service for the hell of it... Beautiful artistic reasons over efficiency. Slowly crafting something rather than delivering for a client and getting paid. It's different mindset. Here the camera isn't just a gear in the job machine. For same artistic reasons you may want full frame, which rules out C100 II. For same artistic reasons you may not want to shoot 1.8x crop from a $3000 full frame lens and might consider the $3000 better spent on glass for a Nikon Z7.

I totally get that and agree. For casual shooting I prefer a GR, Polaroid, Medium Format film, you name it. I don't shoot much casual video and if I did I would probably stick to BMD.

My interest in the EOS-R is 75% professionall.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How many times is your shot -6ev under exposed that you need that kind of low-light AF?

On a weekly basis actually. Fast shutter speeds, low light and flash/lights are banned :)

48 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

For instance, being able to instantly toggle between stills/movie mode on the lever, rather than having to press M and enter a sub-menu and then press info and then use the d-pad to select the mode. 

One of the biggest selling points for me is not having to do either of those things. On the R you just press record (according to the reviews I've seen).

I don't really understand what you see in this thing. 

It ticks more boxes and has less annoying deal breakers than the current competition, for my needs.

I totally get why some would pick an X-T3 or A7iii over it. But for my needs that wouldn't make much sense.

Judging by all your posts, have you recently been given an office at St Martins Way, Bedford ?

On 10/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It's been noticed in the back-end of the site that some new users are joining in order to future the agendas of PR and marketing at some companies.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Funny, I also had my hands on the EOS R at Photokina and could have sworn it felt like a cheap $500 mirrorless camera with poor ergonomics and really dated video mode, but then I don't have 700,000 hungry Canon viewers on my YouTube channel to feed.

I respectively disagree. on build quality, it felt solid besides the construction speaks for itself: weather sealed, magnesium alloy body, made in japan. 

Perhaps the coating is what gave that "cheap" impression, a sort of matte powder coat. Personally i kinda like it.

The ergonomics, well that is subjective. For example some people hate Fuji X dials, which seems ludicrous to me. Flip out screens, some people love them others don't (I'm actually not a big fan).

Not sure how long you spent on the EOS R, but it took me a while to get it set up the way my brain works. I was very frustrated with it for the first 20mn. For example autofocus point selection required me to set drag & touch to relative and adjust the zone to top right to simulate joystick control I'm used to. The multifunction bar also took some configuration and getting used to, I ended up setting the swipe gesture to Kelvins, which i found was pretty neat. 

For video recording, as Mattias pointed out, you just hit record button and it can go straight to your Custom 3 video settings. That's awesome.

Overall handling & balance i thought was great, will be getting the grip as i do a lot of vertical still shooting. The fact Z series grip doesn't have vertical shutter/controls is a deal breaker for my type of shooting.

• Administrators

I don't mind that some people like the EOS R.

I agree with them it gets a shot and a job done. No argument there.

All that matters to me is my own needs and mine are different.

I need to switch back and forth between stills and video on one body, so to be thrown off by 1.8x the focal length between 4K and a RAW still is not going to fit the workflow. To drop to 1080p seems poor value for money, and to use a Speed Booster would necessitate a second body or an adapter swap when going from 4K to a RAW still.

If you are composing a shot in video mode and hit record, bang - 1.8x crop - your composition is going to be completely different.

Different deal breakers for different people!

That EV -6 AF is a bit misleading I believe.       Compared to others it is really about the same as EV -4 or a bit better as they get that figure with a super fast lens while everyone else uses slower I think I saw somewhere.