"Plants" from companies on this forum

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

It's been noticed in the back-end of the site that some new users are joining in order to future the agendas of PR and marketing at some companies.

It's a tricky area for me to deal with, but I'll get some advice on how to better detect it and prevent it from happening in the future.

Whilst I know it is happening, the evidence as to what exact company is responsible for which posts isn't solid enough yet to go naming them.

But rest assured if I do find out, they will be named and shamed on the front page of EOSHD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting topic.

I remember a little while back a 'new poster' wrote a post about a DJI drone - great drone, really fantastic, you can buy one here.

Now when you buy a DJI drone, you register your drone with DJI. And I suspect that 'anyone' who registers with DJI gets approached to be an affiliate. (I certainly did.) And the affiliate plan is reasonably attractive - 4% of any purchase through your affiliate link. Admittedly I cant be bothered but I bet others find the offer potentially attractive (say if you are a student.)

So maybe what you are seeing is not 'plants'. Camera companies are just spending their marketing dollars differently. Bribing youtubers with jamborees and early  access to new product. And mobilizing their customer base through affiliate links.[

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's been noticed in the back-end of the site that some new users are joining in order to future the agendas of PR and marketing at some companies.

It's a tricky area for me to deal with, but I'll get some advice on how to better detect it and prevent it from happening in the future.

Whilst I know it is happening, the evidence as to what exact company is responsible for which posts isn't solid enough yet to go naming them.

But rest assured if I do find out, they will be named and shamed on the front page of EOSHD.

Let´s get rid of all of them!!!!!!....I want to see BLOOD.....

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think it would be against UK and US law as well not to mark it as sponsored content.

If these posters / companies own up now and come out of the closet, I'll consider the matter closed. If not, there will be hell to pay.

I don't think it would be illegal for employees/agents to be voicing their opinion, provided that they were not being paid or directed to do so, at least in the US. Any attempt to legislate against that would be a violation of 1st amendment rights. I don't know about the UK or Germany, they might not protect free speech there, I am not familiar with their laws.

I would like to see peter m disclose his canon payments once. The 6d ii & the eos r promotion; saying he is going to use it all the time, then still just uses the 1dx ii. Makes you wonder, maybe canada doesn't have laws requiring you to disclose?

40 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I would like to see peter m disclose his canon payments once. The 6d ii & the eos r promotion; saying he is going to use it all the time, then still just uses the 1dx ii. Makes you wonder, maybe canada doesn't have laws requiring you to disclose?

YT requires you to disclose if a video contains a promotion - I'm sure there's a definition behind that and I'd be surprised if Peter wasn't making sure to meet that criteria, considering that his YT channel is the cornerstone of his income and PR.

It would be interesting to understand the full picture though.  Having good friends in a company wouldn't be included in that tick-box, neither would being able to borrow equipment for free, or borrow equipment before the stores get it in stock probably either.  We didn't used to blend business with personal relationships, or if we did it was in a way that was understood (eg, if you were in purchasing and everyone knew you were taking kick-backs), but it's now much more difficult to sort out who is sufficiently impartial to tell the whole truth, who tells enough of the truth to be useful, and who will mislead you.

We're in tricky territory unfortunately.

I heard that kids are pretty good at judging authenticity and apparently do it really fast.  I think it's a skill that we all need to further develop.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

As long as the DJI and Blackmagic employees do it under their own (real) names and logos, I'm fine with it. Pretending to be customers, not so much.

Agreed.  Trust is about disclosure.  Thanks for your efforts and keep us updated.

The ones I don't get are those who "MUST" be paid to bash OTHER brands.       Dunno if there are any here but some places seem to have lots of them.

I just can not believe so many people are hating a company so much just for making something they don't want to use that they have to tell the world about it endlessly to put others off buying-  as a hobby???

7 minutes ago, kye said:

YT requires you to disclose if a video contains a promotion - I'm sure there's a definition behind that and I'd be surprised if Peter wasn't making sure to meet that criteria, considering that his YT channel is the cornerstone of his income and PR.

It would be interesting to understand the full picture though.  Having good friends in a company wouldn't be included in that tick-box, neither would being able to borrow equipment for free, or borrow equipment before the stores get it in stock probably either.  We didn't used to blend business with personal relationships, or if we did it was in a way that was understood (eg, if you were in purchasing and everyone knew you were taking kick-backs), but it's now much more difficult to sort out who is sufficiently impartial to tell the whole truth, who tells enough of the truth to be useful, and who will mislead you.

We're in tricky territory unfortunately.

I heard that kids are pretty good at judging authenticity and apparently do it really fast.  I think it's a skill that we all need to further develop.

Agreed.  Trust is about disclosure.  Thanks for your efforts and keep us updated.

you can turn your tv on too any current affairs program or news program and see that people are exploiting or bullying (or insert favourite rant here) one another in every aspect of life it aint just the forum.  hence vigilance is required  no more no less than out there in the real world.

6 minutes ago, noone said:

The ones I don't get are those who "MUST" be paid to bash OTHER brands.       Dunno if there are any here but some places seem to have lots of them.

I just can not believe so many people are hating a company so much just for making something they don't want to use that they have to tell the world about it endlessly to put others off buying-  as a hobby???

i'm pretty sure nearly everyone has bought a lemon of some product that should have been a peach at some point in their lives. seems to me that some people never get over it and consider it their civic duty to go out on a limb to bash said manufacturer till eternity, small minds too much time on their hands perhaps.