Panasonic Abandoning M43

sanveer

9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not gonna disagree that the GM lenses are costly. 

But coming from Panasonic, the Leica 12mm f/1.4 cost me roughly $1,300 and weighs in at about 12 ounces.

The Sony 24mm f/1.4 will cost $1,400 and weighs just around 16 ox.

The Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro, my favorite m43 lens, cost me $1,200; the Sony 85mm f/1.8 cost $600, and on the a7 III is actually lighter than the GH5 combo.

And the difference in price between the prized Voigtlander m43 lenses and their FE mount lenses is not very great either.

But the numbers, bodies and lenses can all be shuffled around and we'd get different results each time.

Yeah M43 gets expensive as they have to make those extremely fast lenses to compensate for the sensor. I am more of a fan of APSC. 

For me M43 only works that well with cameras like the GH5S where you can boost the ISO so you don't need super fast lenses. Not to say the GH5 isn't a great camera but its very limited in low light compared to other bigger sensors of the S.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not gonna disagree that the GM lenses are costly. 

My 15 1.7, 42.5 1.7 and 25 1.7 combined cost me around the same price as my Zeiss 55mm 1.8, my Sony 70-200 f4 cost the same as my 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 combo, and both of them combined is lighter than a single 70-200 f4 lens!

My small camera bag for my m43 kit (I can fit 4 m43 lens and a body) can barely just fit 2 lens on my A73 kit, hence I only travel with m43 and only use FF and GH5s for work, it just too big and heavy for me, and if it got stolen at least it doesn’t cost a lot to replace.

2 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

Nikon & Canon treat APSC like an unwanted stepchild!

..and Sony!

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

What does that mean?

That goes for Sony too. Not much progress on APS-C cameras lately. All the manufacturers except Panasonic/Olympus (m43, not aps-c of course) - seem to favor giving decent functionality and upgrades only in FF. (Panasonic/Olympus might not do much better either IF they currently had FF - yeah I know Panasonic is working on it, but not out yet!)

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I don't know... the D500..

For video? Doesn't it lack IBIS, limited 4K to cropped UHD at 30 fps? No flippy screen either. About same resolution as a G9/GH5 and the even the GH5 is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. (Not to mention the vast array of other Video related features you get with a GH5)

15 hours ago, nigelbb said:

There is no need for MFT for bridge cameras, P&S, drones & camcorder as 1" sensors have that market sewn up. The image quality is easily good enough.

The whole raison d'etre of MFT to be a smaller lighter cheaper interchangeable lens camera has gone now FF & APS-C mirrorless are barely larger than MFT cameras & the best MFT cameras (G9 & OM-D EM-1 II) are the size weight & price of FF /APS-C. Larger sensors always have an advantage in quality but MFT scores only when the trade-off is worthwhile i.e. smaller, lighter, cheaper etc

And yet one of the most popular camcorders out in the US at least, used by a bunch of ENG shooters I know, is the Panasonic DVX200, with its M43 sensor. I think there's a decent enough chance the M43 sensor could overtake "1 sensors. 

4 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

And yet one of the most popular camcorders out in the US at least, used by a bunch of ENG shooters I know, is the Panasonic DVX200, with its M43 sensor. I think there's a decent enough chance the M43 sensor could overtake "1 sensors. 

This is very true. Would like to have one myself. But they Need to go 10 bit on it to make it really sing.

5 hours ago, tosvus said:

..and Sony!

That goes for Sony too. Not much progress on APS-C cameras lately. All the manufacturers except Panasonic/Olympus (m43, not aps-c of course) - seem to favor giving decent functionality and upgrades only in FF. (Panasonic/Olympus might not do much better either IF they currently had FF - yeah I know Panasonic is working on it, but not out yet!)

The Fuji XT3 was pretty significant and Sony is apparently matching with a A7000 that has 10 bit 60p and 240fps 1080

Okay, so maybe I’m slow - but I watched around fourteen minutes of Tony Northrup’s video and didn’t hear him mention Panasonic abandoning m43. Does he say it at the very end or something? ? Now I’m beginning to see why some think YT is a waste of time though...

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Now I’m beginning to see why some think YT is a waste of time though...

No it's not. You can learn so much on there it is scary. Sure there is crap on it, but there is quality stuff also. Tons of it. And I help support 7 people through Patreon on it. Sort of like family.

Sure it can be the worse thing and the best thing, But it isn't going away any time soon. i have no clue how they can keep up with server space on that site. It has to be a mind blowing setup. You do realize Google Owns You Tube.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, tosvus said:

For video? 

It is a really good video camera but that's beside the point. I was just pointing out how the 7Dii and D500 doesn't point to Canikon not caring about APS-C.

D500 is the most high end APS-C camera out there surpassing many FFs cameras. It makes more sense to compare it to the 1Dxii and D5 over the GH5/G9. And even if this is a video forum these are first and foremost in still cameras. Ignoring that would of course lead to loads of conclusions. 

15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

So is the Olympus EM1 the Only Olympus camera that has PDAF in it?? You can buy the original EM1 for a little over 400 dollars now. A real bargain. Now it is not a very great video machine like the newer one is.

Here in the UK Wex have a bunch of used OM-D EM1 IIs with 12 months warranty starting at about £800.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/used-cscs/#esp_category_cf=Model&esp_category_filter_Manufacturer=Olympus&esp_category_filter_Model=E-M1 II

Shooting the G9 with their 100-400mm has revolutionized my outdoor nature wildlife shooting. I can now take with me the equivalent of my Canon or Sony croppers and my Sigma 300-800mm with large carbon fiber tripod and gimbal head all in a handheld package with Dual-IS, making my trekking more weight-manageable and allowing me to travel more stealthily and being ready to shoot in a moments notice.

The missing "killer app" here is putting a Super35 CMOS sensor into the Panny M43 mount bodies like BM and JVC have already. Send me a prototype to field test and check out Panny folks!

:)

On 10/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, Andrew Reid said:

If Fujifilm can be doing so well with both APS-C and medium format at the same time I am sure Micro Four Thirds can survive full frame, it has done since the start. I once chose the GH1 over the 5D Mark II remember!

I remember when back in my film school days when I had a chance to shoot my GH1 alongside a 5Dmk2, it was almost startling how much better the GH1 was. (even in low light)

On 10/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, jonpais said:

size and weight are only an advantage when it comes to long telephoto, fast universal zooms and ultra fast primes.

APS-C cameras like Fuji’s remarkable X-T20 not only have exceptional image quality, but are compact enough to fit in your pocket. 

I'm often choosing my Panasonic G6 over my Nikon D5200, because the body and lens sizes are so much more compact.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:22 PM, tosvus said:

For video? Doesn't it lack IBIS, limited 4K to cropped UHD at 30 fps? No flippy screen either. About same resolution as a G9/GH5 and the even the GH5 is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. (Not to mention the vast array of other Video related features you get with a GH5)

For video the Nikon D500 was a big step forward. Remember too it was announced nearly three years ago, so even against the competition (remember this was a year before the GH5) it was pretty decent. And clearly ahead of Canon!! (if you exclude the ultra extremely expensive options like the 1D C)