The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I think webrunner5 might be one of these brand infiltrators Andrew was talking about.

Nah, stick around and you'll realise he's way to grumpy to be a believer in almost anything!!

Welcome to the forums.. home of nice people, good advice, and a bit of snark and hip-and-shoulder too :)

9 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

Sounded so good, i got one . Pocket Rocket . 

IMG_3691.thumb.jpg.5dea9267f1b35731df9819804e126a50.jpg

Awesome - what lens is that?

12mm and crazy fast?

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Now that would be something.

Shallow DoF simulations in VIDEO will come, it's just about processing power.  My understanding is that they do it by having two cameras where one of them senses depth (could be wrong here) but basically they take two images and then do math to work out which bits they should blur.  With computing power going up steadily it's just a matter of time, and Apple has already demonstrated it's something people want that is worthwhile investing the tech into.  

It might be something they do in post - if they record both streams and then "develop" it later in non-realtime even.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

All I know is that I rather shoot a video with an Alexa over a smartphone and I see a clear difference under equal lighting conditions. If you dont then all the power to you.

I understand your POV and agree, but also see @webrunner5 perspective too.

I look at it from a few perspectives:

• Image quality - smartphones are getting better so fast that they'll soon be 'good enough' except in difficult lighting conditions (the 2012 Zacuto camera shootout was interesting and we've come a long way since the iPhone 4s which was used in that shootout)
  • Flexibility - more DR and function buttons and all that stuff really matters because it makes it a lot easier to get the results you want - lower DR, a touchscreen and lightening/USB port is a million miles from a C300 and that really matters on set
  • Connectivity - SDI ports, timecode, external power options really matter and phones are basically nowhere on this
  • Convenience - phones are always with you, always on, and don't attract a lot of attention, which means that much more content is available to film, either from the perspective that a dedicated camera would prevent you from getting the shot or that it would just make it more difficult

We evaluate phones on image quality and convenience alone because they lack the other practical things that "real" cameras have.  It depends on what you shoot and your priorities I think.

Arguments start when people have different priorities and don't fully explain themselves.

Please everyone be nice - in person most of us would agree and calmly explain ourselves :)

6 hours ago, Shield3 said:

I have an 8 plus.  You shoot anything besides casual walk around good light close up items?  I'll post my best MOON pic with a real camera, and you show me yours with a phone.  $1000 cash says mine is so much better.

What phone is going to shoot my kids playing sports with ANY sort of detail at 200 feet away?  Talking video.

Up next, I'll show up and do another wedding video with my phone.  Clients will love that; I'll tell them webrunner5 sent me.

I have to get out this thread; can't waste any more time arguing with people who just don't get it.

It depends on what you're shooting.

If you're in good light, and are looking for a wide angle deep DoF shot and don't need timecode and external monitoring then a phone can be almost as good as an Alexa.  I take shots on my phone when I travel quite a bit because that combination is great for scenic landscapes and such, even though I have an XC10 that has decent DR, C-Log, 305Mbps codec, timecode, and ergonomics that most DSLRs can only dream of.

I've seen a lovely wedding video shot with an iPhone.  It was an experiment, the couple agreed ahead of time, and they probably didn't pay full price, but it worked.

Film-making is all about compromises, we don't have cameras that can meet how well we see so capturing things is always choosing which things the human eye can see that we don't capture, and phones are no different, they're just more of a compromise.

So, you CAN shoot a wedding, but at least for now you probably SHOULDN'T :)

49 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I've just started writing off threads the second some of you guys start posting other subjects. 

Great looking footage from this camera Andrew, wish it had mic input.      

Every thread is mostly the same conversation - convergence.  More specifically the convergence of Hollywood, the movie theatre, broadcast television, cinema cameras, home movie cameras, film-splicing editing machines, recording studios, typewriters and telephones.  Fast forward far enough and these will all be included into a tiny device mounted somewhere near our eye.

This convergence is difficult for many people to come to terms with because these things never touched.  Not even the Bell Labs think tank where they predicted the mobile phone thought that it would include a camera inside it.

Everyone is struggling with the fact the tech isn't there yet in terms of what we see in our heads, but we're still interested in it enough to thrash it out in forums because every few iterations take us a meaningful step forwards in being able to achieve that vision.  It's too rubbish to be happy with, but is improving too fast to ignore.  It's actually the creative drive that powers much of these conversations.  

I don't want 4K60 10-bit with IBIS because I like letters and numbers and spending money - I want it because 4K 422 allows 1080 4444 (I output in 1080), 60p enables slow-motion which suits the aesthetic of the home videos I shoot because time seems to slow in the magical moments that I want to capture, 10-bit because I shoot outside in high DR with a log profile and I want to have the flexibility in post and get rich colours, and IBIS because shake distracts from the smooth magic I want to create and draws attention to the fact it's a film rather than a memory.

Do I need all these things - no, do they support my creative vision - yes :)

Hi Andrew,

I have a few questions for you:

1) Does the Digital Stabilization exhibit any artifacts when moving the camera?  I remember this was the case for the EM1 Mark II.

2) Did they fix the overly pink reds that was found in the EM1 Mark II?

3) Does the EM10iii have a flat picture profile?  If so is it as hard to grade as the EM1 Mark II (the highlights fell apart very easily on the EM1 Mark II).

I got the camera a couple days ago after reading Andrews post. I wanted something to replace my Black Magic pocket camera for these old Zeiss s16s super speeds set I have . To put it bluntly, I’m not getting the results . The first two shots on his video sold me on it. Didn’t even watch the rest.  

I’m used to shooting with a red dragon so maybe I don’t know what I’m doing . But, I can’t get the stabization to work very well .

Thinking of returning it on Monday . Sad, because I really love these lenses and would really like a viable s16 camera. I also have a Zeiss

s16 10-120 which is awesome to shoot with . Small,  light weight and s35 its a 20 240 f2.0 . I also like the s16 look. 

I had just watched The Wrestler the night before and that was shot on s16 so, that probably influenced my purchase as well. 

25 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

I got the camera a couple days ago after reading Andrews post. I wanted something to replace my Black Magic pocket camera for these old Zeiss s16s super speeds set I have . To put it bluntly, I’m not getting the results . The first two shots on his video sold me on it. Didn’t even watch the rest.  

I’m used to shooting with a red dragon so maybe I don’t know what I’m doing . But, I can’t get the stabization to work very well .

Thinking of returning it on Monday . Sad, because I really love these lenses and would really like a viable s16 camera. I also have a Zeiss

s16 10-120 which is awesome to shoot with . Small,  light weight and s35 its a 20 240 f2.0 . I also like the s16 look. 

I had just watched The Wrestler the night before and that was shot on s16 so, that probably influenced my purchase as well. 

If you find "Best setting for OM-D E-M10 Mark III" you can found many video to fix and adjust the stabilization problem.

1 hour ago, Leica50mm said:

I wanted something to replace my Black Magic pocket camera for these old Zeiss s16s super speeds set I have .  [snip]  I really love these lenses and would really like a viable s16 camera. I also have a Zeiss  s16 10-120 which is awesome to shoot with  [snip]  I also like the s16 look.

Consider the original EOSM with Magic Lantern.   It can shoot 2520x1080, 12-bit lossless raw  at a crop between 16mm and S16mm.

Here are two examples shot by our own @Alpicat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQFKXUS-9V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cEQLVQM78

This resolution (2520x1080) requires the ML SD card hack, which is slightly tricky to set-up -- you have to use the right SD card.  On the other hand, there are lower resolutions at that crop (between S16 and 16) that don't require the SD card hack.

Of course, there are many other ML raw (and non-raw) possibilities with the EOSM, such as 1736x1120, 14 bit lossless raw utilizing the full height of the EOSM's APS-C sensor (another @Alpicat example).

A used original EOSM costs around US$180 right now, but the numbers of EOSMs offered are dwindling.  Also, there are several PL-to-EF-M adaptors, including some that tilt.

48 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Make sure you are changing the stabilization settings when you change the focal length.

Ok i’ll Try that 

Thanks,

Tim

28 minutes ago, tupp said:

Consider the original EOSM with Magic Lantern.   It can shoot 2520x1080, 12-bit lossless raw  at a crop between 16mm and S16mm.

This resolution (2520x1080) requires the ML SD card hack, which is slightly tricky to set-up -- you have to use the right SD card.  On the other hand, there are lower resolutions at that crop (between S16 and 16) that don't require the SD card hack.

Of course, there are many other ML raw (and non-raw) possibilities with the EOSM, such as 1736x1120, 14 bit lossless raw utilizing the full height of the EOSM's APS-C sensor (another @Alpicat example).

A used original EOSM costs around US$180 right now, but the numbers of EOSMs offered are dwindling.  Also, there are several PL-to-EF-M adaptors, including some that tilt.

28 minutes ago, tupp said:

Hi Tupp

Thanks, those do look good and I canon color a lot. But, I already have the 4/3 to PL lens adaptors which are really nice.

Thanks,

Tim

33 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

But, I already have the 4/3 to PL lens adaptors which are really nice.

There is a possibility that a M4/3 lens-to-EF-M adapter (which would accommodate your PL-to-M4/3 adapters) will appear in the near future.

Also, a used EOSM goes for ~US$180.  Add US$125 for the PL-to-EOSM adapter and your total cost is US$305 -- significantly less than an Olympus E-M10 III.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I've just started writing off threads the second some of you guys start posting other subjects. 

Great looking footage from this camera Andrew, wish it had mic input.      

Yeah tell me about it. Some people are treating this place like their own personal SMS app.

7 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

I'm in the same boat I want a nice cam to put my superspeeds that is light, has ibis and good color. Shame that you aren't getting the results. Personally, I'm waiting for a new cam from Olympus, probably in January. 

I had been planning to get a gx85 to use on a specific project but with this article @Andrew Reid convinced me to check out the e-m10iii first. It arrived today and, without actually shooting with it yet, I really like the feel of it and the menus, etc.

But continuous AF does not seem to work. I have it set to C-AF in both video and photo mode but the focus doesn't change unless I half-press the shutter button. Same goes for C-AF with tracking. The green box follows the object around the screen really well but the focus doesn't change. Same with selecting the focus point on the touchscreen, the green box pops up but it doesn't focus until the shutter is pressed. I also tried full-auto mode...same thing.  

The focus is very snappy when pressing the shutter button.

I have the Panasonic 25/1.7 on it.

Am I missing something?

[EDIT}

C-AF DOES work but it is incredibly slow. I'm talking 8 slow Mississippis for it to adjust from one point to another. That's why I didn't think it was working at all. And I can't find a focus speed setting.

15 minutes ago, Chrad said:

I would think the GH5 would be the way to go for S16 lenses. Turn on Ex Tele mode and you've got an almost exactly S16 sized image circle shooting 10 bit UHD, with IBIS included as well.

For sure, its just pricey compared to this bad boy. 

2 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

I had been planning to get a gx85 to use on a specific project but with this article @Andrew Reid convinced me to check out the e-m10iii first. It arrived today and, without actually shooting with it yet, I really like the feel of it and the menus, etc.

But continuous AF does not seem to work. I have it set to C-AF in both video and photo mode but the focus doesn't change unless I half-press the shutter button. Same goes for C-AF with tracking. The green box follows the object around the screen really well but the focus doesn't change. Same with selecting the focus point on the touchscreen, the green box pops up but it doesn't focus until the shutter is pressed. I also tried full-auto mode...same thing.  

The focus is very snappy when pressing the shutter button.

I have the Panasonic 25/1.7 on it.

Am I missing something?

[EDIT}

C-AF DOES work but it is incredibly slow. I'm talking 8 slow Mississippis for it to adjust from one point to another. That's why I didn't think it was working at all. And I can't find a focus speed setting.

Yeah only some Olympus cameras have PDAF, it sucks on this one.

35 minutes ago, Chrad said:

I would think the GH5 would be the way to go for S16 lenses. Turn on Ex Tele mode and you've got an almost exactly S16 sized image circle shooting 10 bit UHD, with IBIS included as well.

What do you lose IQ wise with the Ex tele mode?