The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Defleur said:

So when you go into 4k film mode on the Panasonic the screen will automatically adjust & only show you what you will record?

Correct.

If you are in 'creative video' mode (the 'movie camera' icon on the mode dial) the LCD/EVF screen will show you the correct  'field of view' (FOV) for the movie setting in use (1080p or 4k) all the time.

If it's in any other mode it will normally show the 'photo' FOV, then change to the correct 'video' FOV when you hit the video record button.

16 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Correct.

If you are in 'creative video' mode (the 'movie camera' icon on the mode dial) the LCD/EVF screen will show you the correct  'field of view' (FOV) for the movie setting in use (1080p or 4k) all the time.

If it's in any other mode it will normally show the 'photo' FOV, then change to the correct 'video' FOV when you hit the video record button.

Thanks for that! Because I was genuinely confused & thought you may have to use masking tape on the screen to guess what the camera would actually record lol

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Using my em10iii today on a paying gig. 

Fuzzy, could you give any feedback about working with the em10iii? What's the battery life like for video recording? Is the SD slot in the battery compartment really annoying? Any other thoughts/feelings/impressions?

I forgot where I got my dummy battery that works on both my E-M10 III and my E-PL6.  However, here is one listing on the USA Amazon.

You can also get the dummy battery with power adapters for USB batteries or you can attached the linked dummy battery to an AC power adapter that outputs 7v-8V.  Of course, you could just use inexpensive Sony NP-F batteries (nominal voltage 7.4V), and choose one with a large capacity.

The nominal voltage of most consumer/pro-sumer cameras is 7.4V, but many such cameras have a built-in voltage regulator that accepts a range higher and lower than the nominal voltage.  However, I always try to supply the nominal 7.4 volts into the camera, so that the camera's internal voltage regulator doesn't have to do a lot of work, possibly heating up and causing sensor noise.

4 hours ago, Defleur said:

Fuzzy, could you give any feedback about working with the em10iii? What's the battery life like for video recording? Is the SD slot in the battery compartment really annoying? Any other thoughts/feelings/impressions?

SD slot is fine.  I don't care about that too much. Will say the Cam's mount screw is too close the battery gate. When I put on my Manafrotto mount plate it needs to be moved to open the door. 

Battery life is really good. 1hr+ shooting time. 

Ergos are decent. Not as good as my old Em5ii with bat grip, but not bad for such a small camera.  I really like smaller cameras.

Changing ISO when filming is technically possible but impractical. 

Auto WB shifts too easily. Would rather it was more subtle. 

BTW, same issues on my EM5ii  --just an Oly thing.

4k IQ is great. Love it and the colors. 

I bought this camera for $300 refurbished. Good value. 

26 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Is this camera still a good value in 2020? 

I am thinking to pick up a cheap m43 camera as a hybrid, but to have some video side as well just in case.

As I have plenty of cameras already, I want to find something relatively cheap.

I was going to buy a used Gx7 for $100 more than I got my waranteed/refurbished EM10iii. 

Its a good value for $300, yes. 

On 9/6/2020 at 4:26 AM, Defleur said:

I would absolutely love to get the Panasonic, for the reason I said: to start getting used to them ASAP as I can see myself staying with them. The g80 was recommended to me by someone else too (in another thread on this forum), but all their different models are really confusing. And what confuses me about the crop is how do you know what the camera is actually filming if you can't rely on the screen? Do you put masking tape on it around the borders?

I bet there are some Panasonic G85/G80 owners who don't even realize 4K on it has a small subtle crop! Because as @fuzzynormal said, it is WYSIWYG.

On 9/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, tupp said:

I forgot where I got my dummy battery that works on both my E-M10 III and my E-PL6.  However, here is one listing on the USA Amazon.

You can also get the dummy battery with power adapters for USB batteries or you can attached the linked dummy battery to an AC power adapter that outputs 7v-8V.  Of course, you could just use inexpensive Sony NP-F batteries (nominal voltage 7.4V), and choose one with a large capacity.

The nominal voltage of most consumer/pro-sumer cameras is 7.4V, but many such cameras have a built-in voltage regulator that accepts a range higher and lower than the nominal voltage.  However, I always try to supply the nominal 7.4 volts into the camera, so that the camera's internal voltage regulator doesn't have to do a lot of work, possibly heating up and causing sensor noise.

But the one in the link is for the E-M5 / E-M1 line, no? The battery is larger than E-m10's.

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I bet there are some Panasonic G85/G80 owners who don't even realize 4K on it has a small subtle crop! Because as @fuzzynormal said, it is WYSIWYG.

It is even sadder with the GX9 / G90, with the additional crop. Have a GX9 and, except fot the extra crop, is a much better camera than the GX85 - speed, color, tilting EVF (amazing for tripod work), even the AF is much better (and useful in video in some scenarios).

3 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

But the one in the link is for the E-M5 / E-M1 line, no? The battery is larger than E-m10's.

Oops!  You're correct!  I linked the wrong dummy battery!

Unfortunately, I can't change the link.

Here is the dummy battery (and USB boost converter/adapter) for the E-M10 models.

Thanks!

On 9/8/2020 at 2:57 PM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

It is even sadder with the GX9 / G90, with the additional crop. Have a GX9 and, except fot the extra crop, is a much better camera than the GX85 - speed, color, tilting EVF (amazing for tripod work), even the AF is much better (and useful in video in some scenarios).

Yeah, I loved my GX80s, and I still have them (use them as small timelapse cameras, even have the USB dummy batteries).  Unfortunately the IBIS and viewfinder let them down.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, fuzzynormal said:

I was going to buy a used Gx7 for $100 more than I got my waranteed/refurbished EM10iii. 

Its a good value for $300, yes. 

I second what Fuzzy says.  I sold my GH5 + PL12-60 combo for a E-M5iii+O12-100/f4.  The Olympus colours are great out of the box, the IS with that lens is gimbal-like, and the C4k is lovely.  The camera is not as rugged as the E-M1 series, but I can attest the to weather proofing as have filmed for hours in the pouring rain.  Just miss zebras as the histogram is not really accurate (although good enough not to clip highlights, and I think that my LCD needs the exposure lowering as it is always brighter than the scene.

@fuzzynormal what colour profile do you generally use and does anyone have experience with the best C-AF settings especially for face-detect focusing?

As Fuzzy says, the E-M10iii is a steal and the C4k images is the same as the other more expensive Olympus cameras.  I've seen them for less than £200 on e-bay.  I'm considering selling my two GH5 for a pair of E-M10iii to use as B-cam and timelapse cams. 

1 hour ago, sgreszcz said:

I second what Fuzzy says.  I sold my GH5 + PL12-60 combo for a E-M5iii+O12-100/f4.  The Olympus colours are great out of the box, the IS with that lens is gimbal-like, and the C4k is lovely.  The camera is not as rugged as the E-M1 series, but I can attest the to weather proofing as have filmed for hours in the pouring rain.  Just miss zebras as the histogram is not really accurate (although good enough not to clip highlights, and I think that my LCD needs the exposure lowering as it is always brighter than the scene.

@fuzzynormal what colour profile do you generally use and does anyone have experience with the best C-AF settings especially for face-detect focusing?

As Fuzzy says, the E-M10iii is a steal and the C4k images is the same as the other more expensive Olympus cameras.  I've seen them for less than £200 on e-bay.  I'm considering selling my two GH5 for a pair of E-M10iii to use as B-cam and timelapse cams. 

But the E-M10III just have UHD 4k, not DCI 4K.

11 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

I don’t do auto focusing, so can’t offer an opinion on that. 

As for color profiles I use “natural” as Oly offers it out of the box. 

Tried a few experiments with flattening the image, but didn’t seem worth the effort (for me)

BTW, I prefer the Oly histogram over the GH5 waveform. I’m only ever protecting the highlights anyway, so the Oly histogram is quite useful. (Again, for me)