The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No need to get an EM5 II now the E-M10 III exists though. It's way better for video.

Don’t you also have the E-M1ii?! I know you’re not big on 1080p but the E-M1ii picked up where the E-M5ii left off and went from 77mbps all-i with the E-M5ii to 202mbps all-i on the E-M1ii, can you confirm the 1080p quality?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I have the E-M1 II and only ever used the 4K. I am sure the 1080p is a lot better than the E-M5 II. The problem on the E-M5 II for me wasn't the codec, that was fine. It was the line skipping, soft detail, moire. Those days are long past us. Unless you're a Canon 1080p user ;)

On 10/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Let's agree to disagree.

Technically he is right. 

4K is 4K. 

Also:

1080 is 1080. 

& 320p is 320p.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:49 AM, Alt Shoo said:

It was shot in Zlog at 60 p and I recorded internally but monitored through a BlackMagic Video Assist 4K on a Zhiyun M gimbal.  

The ZCam E1 has all the components a cinematographer needs (besides IBIS). Actually the BBC used the E1 for three years as an in the vehicle camera for “Top Gear”. Truly impressive! I’ll be using two of the E1’s I own for some other projects, but I’m going to start shooting more with the Eva1. I’ve  had it for months and only filmed with it once. I’ve been using the LS300 because it’s just so easy to pick up and go, plus the images I get out of it is one of the best!

Oh wow, kinda impressed/surprised you're choosing the JVC LS300 so often over the EVA1!

On 10/18/2018 at 10:16 PM, IronFilm said:

Oh wow, kinda impressed/surprised you're choosing the JVC LS300 so often over the EVA1!

Yea me too! The reason for this is that I bought the Eva1 with the Atomos Shogun Inferno Kit and an 1tb SSD. I didn’t have any expendable extra cash to buy the required SD cards for the Eva1 and the cards I do own doesn’t support the recommendations for recording in the resolution that I want to record in. Plus the mount I had felt flimsy and didn’t want to risk the monitor falling off of the camera. So in order for me to record with the Eva, I would have to rig it up with the Inferno, which didn’t feel secure and the projects i were doing didn’t require such a setup.

With the GYLS300 I can just pick it up with my dual loaded card slots (very long recording time and sloooow battery drain) and capture very lovely looking DCI 4k for hours, without lugging such a cumbersome setup, especially for mostly handheld filming. I would monitor through the GYLS300’s screen (not at all great, but I have a VA 4k specifically for it) using its rather good (Great!) focus assist and exposure features. 

With the Eva1 and the gear I had for it at the time, I would need to carry at least 6-8 batteries and tripod. I wasn’t ready to commit to that yet. Now I’m ready because I streamlined my power needs and even though I’m still recording with the Atomos, I have a sturdier mounting solution for it! 

As an aside, regarding my equipment I’m usually a tripod type of person and have tools that are used mostly stationary, but I’ve been doing a lot more handheld work, that’s why I purchased the two E1’s, which are wonderful by the way and use them with Zhiyun Crane M’s, but the monitoring on it sucks, so I also use the VA 4k with it. I haven’t used the E1’s in a while because it doesn’t do 4k externally, only 1080 and I’m trying to keep all of my original files in 4k or higher now. The 4k internal is only 60mb and that’s not really enough for me. For my needs 4K 150mb is acceptable!

There are some 1080p/60 good samples of it? (For me it is the achilles heel of the GX85).

@Andrew Reid, how are the controls behaviour when filming? I recall that when I read the first reviews of the E-M10 III there where a lot of comments saying that the physical controls were bad. Unfortunately don't recall if it was for stills or movies (for sure it keeps my major complaint about Oly cameras - to engage focus peaking + focus assist (enlarged image) with adapted lenses in stills you need to program and push 2 different buttons, in the Panasonic a single button engage both modes).

Just read again some reviews from the launch and remembered the gripes that I had when saw them (not including not use the 20mp for stills). Since some people here got the camera after Andrew's review, maybe you could help me - found a E-m10 III new with a VERY good price (which is rare here in Brazil) - to decide if I go for it. Will be a somewhat lenghty post because of it, sorry (here you don't have the option to return the camera as in the USA).

After reading all the manual and remembering my times with the E-M10 MK I and E-M5 MK II, these are my doubts:
- There are highlight / shadows warnings in stills / movie modes? (I know that they appear in playback, but don't remember if they appear in live view)

- Is it possible to have in display BOTH the histogram and the level gauge?

- Some earlier Olympus cameras, when using Spot metering, only meters the center of the frame. AFAIK, they introduced the option to make the spot metering meters the same Af single spot, when using this mode (which is the desired behaviour for me), selectable in menus. Did not find this option in the E-M10 MK III manual, hence I wonder which is the behaviour now.

- Sad to see the you still have to assign two buttons to engage peaking and zoomed view together (in the GX85 it is engaged with a single back dial press). Peaking is reliable when using the default view for focus, not the enlarged one? (in Panasonics is defintely not the case)

- There is no option to set the bit rate in movie mode in 4k, is it true? 

- The internal mikes are ok? GX85 had worse mics than GX7.

- Some review said that ISO can only be adjusted in full stops (200, 400, 800, 1600...). Is it true?

- it is not possible to start recording  using the shutter button (even in video mode), you have to use the dedicated video button?

- Is it possible to change aperture / ISO in 4k manual video mode using the dials?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

5 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just read again some reviews from the launch and remembered the gripes that I had when saw them (not including not use the 20mp for stills). Since some people here got the camera after Andrew's review, maybe you could help me - found a E-m10 III new with a VERY good price (which is rare here in Brazil) - to decide if I go for it. Will be a somewhat lenghty post because of it, sorry (here you don't have the option to return the camera as in the USA).

After reading all the manual and remembering my times with the E-M10 MK I and E-M5 MK II, these are my doubts:
- There are highlight / shadows warnings in stills / movie modes? (I know that they appear in playback, but don't remember if they appear in live view)

No highlight or shadow warnings that I have been able to see.
- Is it possible to have in display BOTH the histogram and the level gauge?

No, only one or the other.
- Some earlier Olympus cameras, when using Spot metering, only meters the center of the frame. AFAIK, they introduced the option to make the spot metering meters the same Af single spot, when using this mode (which is the desired behaviour for me), selectable in menus. Did not find this option in the E-M10 MK III manual, hence I wonder which is the behaviour now.

Selectable metering modes appears only available in PASM not video recording.
- Sad to see the you still have to assign two buttons to engage peaking and zoomed view together (in the GX85 it is engaged with a single back dial press). Peaking is reliable when using the default view for focus, not the enlarged one? (in Panasonics is defintely not the case)

Peaking is available in movie mode but a Fn button must be assigned. It's then a one button operation. Practically, I find focus peaking isn't as easy to recognise as Lumix cameras.

- There is no option to set the bit rate in movie mode in 4k, is it true? 

Bitrate option is not available. The OMD EM1 MK2 offers a higher bitrate but only in C4K.

- The internal mikes are ok? GX85 had worse mics than GX7.

Internal mics overmodulate. I have mine turned down to avoid distortion. Unfortunately, mics are in an awkward location to attach a micmuff.

- Some review said that ISO can only be adjusted in full stops (200, 400, 800, 1600...). Is it true?

Auto, Low, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250,1600,2000,2500,3200,4000,5000,6400

- it is not possible to start recording  using the shutter button (even in video mode), you have to use the dedicated video button?

You have to use the video button.

- Is it possible to change aperture / ISO in 4k manual video mode using the dials?
Yes. Aperture, Shutter and ISO. No Auto ISO in manual video mode.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

IMO, in terms of options and operability, the OMD EM10MK3 isn't anywhere in the league of the GH series. However, the Oly is smaller, lighter and has it's own filmic look that I miss in the Lumix cameras. It's a "fun" camera but not as "serious" as the GH series. The viewfinder dynamic range isn't good and it doesn't have any metering in manual video mode, however the viewfinder is really quite good for judging correct exposure.

Generally, I've avoided 1080p in any form and the tele convert function as I've always been left disappointed. Just love the full 4K image though, especially with sharpness turned "all the way down" -2.

I'm picking up this camera more lately for it's more sensible size and lovely image. This camera paired with the Oly 9mm lens cap is pocketable. For me, this is the GH2 of 2018. One reason I'm glad Anderw mentioned it. It's small, inconspicuous and with it's beautiful tiny fast primes, a Q-ship in keeping with the m43 philosophy.

20 hours ago, TiJoBa said:

IMO, in terms of options and operability, the OMD EM10MK3 isn't anywhere in the league of the GH series. However, the Oly is smaller, lighter and has it's own filmic look that I miss in the Lumix cameras. It's a "fun" camera but not as "serious" as the GH series. The viewfinder dynamic range isn't good and it doesn't have any metering in manual video mode, however the viewfinder is really quite good for judging correct exposure.

Generally, I've avoided 1080p in any form and the tele convert function as I've always been left disappointed. Just love the full 4K image though, especially with sharpness turned "all the way down" -2.

I'm picking up this camera more lately for it's more sensible size and lovely image. This camera paired with the Oly 9mm lens cap is pocketable. For me, this is the GH2 of 2018. One reason I'm glad Anderw mentioned it. It's small, inconspicuous and with it's beautiful tiny fast primes, a Q-ship in keeping with the m43 philosophy.

Thanks for the answers. I was interested in 1080p60 for slo-mo, the 1080p in the GX85 (and in most modern cameras besides the GH line) simply sucks. Thinking about a RX100V just for it (and good af for use in gimbal). The 1080p samples that I saw online (not in the best condtions) remembered me a lot E-M5 MK II footage prior the bitrate bump.

About the metering, asked about the spot metering for stills use; but without highlights warnings metering would be useful in video (ok, can use the histogram, but lose the level gauges...)

In the meantime, the seller canceled the offer, have more time to research. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Sedazin said:

amazon.de price decreased to 499,-€ ... Olympus Winter Cashback gives you 100,-€ so you end up at 399,-€ for the Mark III Body ... this is a steal.

I have no clue how Olympus stays in the camera business? They have been nearly giving away cameras that are a couple of years old for years.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have no clue how Olympus stays in the camera business? They have been nearly giving away cameras that are a couple of years old for years.

You really do like to comment on everything don't you? :)

Why don't you just moderate yourself A BIT?

Every page, every thread, there you are and most of it's chat.

You seem to piss and moan about everything and everybody on here as of late.. Yeah we both probably ought to take a break. I don't come here to see political crap. Leave it at home. Talk about cameras, not all your problems.

At my age I have seen lots of kind of goofy ass shit happen politically. in a few years they get thrown out and it goes back to normal. And then it swings way back the opposite way. This shit isn't new. YOU act like Chicken Little. Chill out, it isn't worth the stress or the ulcer you are going to get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 10:15 AM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Ok, take the risk, ordered one, it is arriving today. Will try to make some comparison videos with the GX85.

I am interested if its worth switching over to. I have the GX85 at the moment, serves as a cheap IBIS camera. But maybe this is an improvement.

1 hour ago, Grégory LEROY said:

It cost more than 5OO USD in the European Union.

i assume you are french.

there are deals on olympus like -100€ on the body https://www.olympus.fr/site/fr/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m10_mark_iii/index.html?icid=WinterBonus-2018-ClaimLP-Link-Product1

if you buy without vat like all pro do then it is a good deal as it ends a 465€

• 3 weeks later...