The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

44 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah, 10 stops of dynamic range is like 2 stops more then phones can do. At least. 

And you move all of it down to Rec.709 with 5 stops of DR. Big deal.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah its not a feature available in video. So again I see DOF as a big thing. Dealing with M43 DOF is one thing but when you go to a sensor less then half the size it gets annoying. Phone cameras can only go so far as eventually they get too big and who wants to carry around a huge phone, they are already too big.

They have 50mm lenses in them also, and like has been said you can do it in post. Hell you can do Anything in post these days. Oh so you are going to carry the Oly EM mk III in your pocket? And you think a iPhone 8, or X is huge, what you have one of those flip phones from the 80's? How big is the sensor in a BMPCC? Oh I guess they are shit because it is small? Your just being silly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It's $500!

And you could get walk around with easy manual focus / peaking with that sweet Nokton 25mm F/0.95 with 5 axis stabilization.  I still have some GH2 footage I shot wide open with that lens from 2011 and it holds up pretty well 7 years later.

It's not the worst idea I've seen on here and I love the price.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I have looked all over for DR on the mk III and the best I can find is for photo, and even that is pretty low. SO I would bet the Video DR on it is no better than 10 tops.  The new iPhones and the Samsungs all had a DoF thingy now that works pretty well. Low light, we are not talking A7s stuff here with a m4/3 sensor in this camera. I think, to me it is a no go. Pass. Hell you can't even make a phone call on it. ? Sure on vacation you can throw it in your wife's purse and away you go, but to use on a daily basis, nah. Phones have Really gotten pretty damn good.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M10,Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III

Some people shoot things far away....like sports, wildlife.  What 300 2.8 amI going to put on my iphone 8 plus and shoot my son playing travel baseball from beyond center field?  What 600-1200mm equivalent can I shoot the moon with and get any detail on my phone?  No offense, but for YOU perhaps it doesn't make sense, but you don't speak for everyone else.  All tiny sensor phones SUCK in low light.

So yeah - shooting casual video of things up close and in good light - you may not see that big of a difference.  Throw a bright lens on a micro 4/3rds in difficult light and it sings.

18 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

And you could get walk around with easy manual focus / peaking with that sweet Nokton 25mm F/0.95 with 5 axis stabilization.  I still have some GH2 footage I shot wide open with that lens from 2011 and it holds up pretty well 7 years later.

It's not the worst idea I've seen on here and I love the price.

Some people shoot things far away....like sports, wildlife.  What 300 2.8 amI going to put on my iphone 8 plus and shoot my son playing travel baseball from beyond center field?  What 600-1200mm equivalent can I shoot the moon with and get any detail on my phone?  No offense, but for YOU perhaps it doesn't make sense, but you don't speak for everyone else.  All tiny sensor phones SUCK in low light.

So yeah - shooting casual video of things up close and in good light - you may not see that big of a difference.  Throw a bright lens on a micro 4/3rds in difficult light and it sings.

Doesn't sound like you have checked into options for Smartphones. Hell buy anything that blows up your skirt. But don't say ohh this is shit, and this is shit. If you can't make something happen on a Smartphone you aren't going to make it happen on Any camera.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Show me a phone with dof thing on VIDEO, I don’t care about DOF effect on photos, I want it on VIDEO

Show me how easy it is to see the damn phone screen in bright sunlight.  Make mine a EVF every time.  Shot some footage at Gatorland in June during mid-day and I had to point and "guess" with my iphone.  Literally could not see a damn thing with that Florida sun.

44 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

They have 50mm lenses in them also, and like has been said you can do it in post. Hell you can do Anything in post these days. Oh so you are going to carry the Oly EM mk III in your pocket? And you think a iPhone 8, or X is huge, what you have one of those flip phones from the 80's? How big is the sensor in a BMPCC? Oh I guess they are shit because it is small? Your just being silly.

Yeah who need FF and those fancy new camera if you just can do everything on a phone, you shouldnt be even this forum apparently phone is good enough for you, stick to GSMArena mate!

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Doesn't sound like you have checked into options for Smartphones. Hell buy anything that blows up your skirt. But don't say ohh this is shit, and this is shit. If you can't make something happen on a Smartphone you aren't going to make it happen on Any camera.

I have an 8 plus.  You shoot anything besides casual walk around good light close up items?  I'll post my best MOON pic with a real camera, and you show me yours with a phone.  $1000 cash says mine is so much better.

What phone is going to shoot my kids playing sports with ANY sort of detail at 200 feet away?  Talking video.

Up next, I'll show up and do another wedding video with my phone.  Clients will love that; I'll tell them webrunner5 sent me.

I have to get out this thread; can't waste any more time arguing with people who just don't get it.

15 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

All I know is that I rather shoot a video with an Alexa over a smartphone and I see a clear difference under equal lighting conditions. If you dont then all the power to you.

This is not 2008 anymore. 4K is 4K, I don't care what the hell it is shot on. The average person doesn't even know what the hell DR even is. 3/4 the people on here acts like Netflix is going to pick them up. Good luck with that happening. Shoot something, anything with anything and be happy.  You have in your pants pocket 90% of what you ever need camera wise. Made it so. Jesus like a bunch of little kids on here. OHH I'm going to buy this, no I am going to buy that. Ohh I will wait until next year when the Panasonic FF comes out, Yeah right. They haven't made a camera in the last 6 years you can't make a feature movie with, including a Smartphone. Make it so. You can buy Cine cameras you could only dream of for less money now than most of there new Mirrorless stuff is. Make it so. This whole forum is turned into a QVC shopping channel.  Shoot something, Christ.

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This is not 2008 anymore. 4K is 4K, I don't care what the hell it is shot on. The average person doesn't even know what the hell DR even is. 3/4 the people on here acts like Netflix is going to pick them up. Good luck with that happening. Shoot something, anything with anything and be happy.  You have in your pants pocket 90% of what you ever need camera wise. Made it so. Jesus like a bunch of little kids on here. OHH I'm going to buy this, no I am going to buy that. Ohh I will wait until next year when the Panasonic FF comes out, Yeah right. They haven't made a camera in the last 6 years you can't make a feature movie with, including a Smartphone. Make it so. You can buy Cine cameras you could only dream of for less money now than most of there new Mirrorless stuff is. Make it so. This whole forum is turned into a QVC shopping channel.  Shoot something, Christ.

Assuming I agree 100% with everything you said (I don't at all).  Why are you here?  Ask yourself why?  You're not shooting when you're posting this nonsense either Mr. Hypocrite.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

The pocket has a M43 sensor. Why would I need to carry something in my pocket btw? 
You can do a shallow DOF in post for video? Not easily. I can create dragons flying of my mouth in post to, technically. 

The whole well rec 709 is only 5 stops argument is kind of silly. With wide dynamic range you can manipulate the image easily in post and decide where you want that dynamic range to go. 

More power to you if you can deal with poor iso performance, no dof, small sensors and be happy with it. 

If you don't like these discussions just start your own thread on what you want to talk about. Who is forcing you to talk about camera specs? You are the one going on about how you think cell phones are better then micro four thirds cameras. If you genuinely don't care about specs why argue about it. 

I do care about specs. I love cameras, playing with cameras, reading about cameras, buying cameras. Its what interests me.

Also I do shoot stuff, was up until 2am filming a short film last night. I don't usually post on here because who wants to watch my shorts? Usually no one. Easier for people to read a 10 second comment and reply on their phone while doing something else. Videos require attention. 

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Let's agree to disagree.

I do. All the time. Its part of my job. But I rather not use a smartphone.

Well hell who wouldn't want a Arri Alexa over it. But is it on here going to look 5 times better. Twice as better? Your telling me you can't make a nice short with Gunpowder with a Smartphone in 4K? You surely have the skill and imagination to make that happen. I think I would be pretty proud to take a "inferior" device and make it sing as they say. I don't think the expensive cameras make shit for difference much anymore. The BMPCC proved that. You can buy them for 350 bucks today, even with some accessories. I doubt the Oly EM mk III will out do it. And it has a wimpy ass little sensor crop area in it even compared to m4/3. I doubt Any of these new cameras FF, APSC out will out do it, even maybe the PK4 can't. That is to be seen.

I am just stating we have all, including me, have went off the deep edge on all these, I have to have a better camera thing. Sure a few, very few on here make a living doing it, most don't even own them, the company they work for does. And most of the rest left Ain't buying a Arri no matter how old it is. So for shits and giggles, what probably the vast majority on here do, a Smartphone, a BMPCC works. And that is how it is plain and simple. Skill trumps any damn better camera. We are in a no excuses world for video. Anyone with skill can make it happen, even with a Smartphone if that is all they have.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Your telling me you can't make a nice short with Gunpowder with a Smartphone in 4K? 

I probably could. But thats not my job. Usually I hire people to make the videos at work. But sometimes we do it in house. Then I need to deliver every time. With only available light as well as crisp audio. For full days of shooting. Both stills and video. A smartphone is just too time consuming, limiting and straight up annoying for me. A good hybrid gets me where I need to be.

I'm sure plenty of people love shooting with smartphones and creates wonderful things. But I don't. And that's ok.

1 hour ago, Shield3 said:

Assuming I agree 100% with everything you said (I don't at all).  Why are you here?  Ask yourself why?  You're not shooting when you're posting this nonsense either Mr. Hypocrite.

I am here to learn from you. You seemed to have owned every high end camera ever made. I am all eyes and ears as they say. Please proceed.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well hell who wouldn't want a Arri Alexa over it. But is it on here going to look 5 times better. Twice as better? Your telling me you can't make a nice short with Gunpowder with a Smartphone in 4K? You surely have the skill and imagination to make that happen. I think I would be pretty proud to take a "inferior" device and make it sing as they say. I don't think the expensive cameras make shit for difference much anymore. The BMPCC proved that. You can buy them for 350 bucks today, even with some accessories. I doubt the Oly EM mk III will out do it. And it has a wimpy ass little sensor crop area in it even compared to m4/3. I doubt Any of these new cameras FF, APSC out will out do it, even maybe the PK4 can't. That is to be seen.

I am just stating we have all, including me, have went off the deep edge on all these, I have to have a better camera thing. Sure a few, very few on here make a living doing it, most don't even own them, the company they work for does. And most of the rest left Ain't buying a Arri no matter how old it is. So for shits and giggles, what probably the vast majority on here do, a Smartphone, a BMPCC works. And that is how it is plain and simple. Skill trumps any damn better camera. We are in a no excuses world for video. Anyone with skill can make it happen, even with a Smartphone if that is all they have.

I agree with you to an extent. But part of the reason the BMPCC is so nice is because of dynamic range and of course color science and bit depth. I don't think smart phones are known for having remotely any of those traits. 

I do acknowledge what great choices we have in cameras these days for such low prices, but the new tech is also really helpful. 

34 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I agree with you to an extent. But part of the reason the BMPCC is so nice is because of dynamic range and of course color science and bit depth. I don't think smart phones are known for having remotely any of those traits. 

I do acknowledge what great choices we have in cameras these days for such low prices, but the new tech is also really helpful. 

Oh I agree. But they have improved a lot since even the Apple 6s Plus. I think a couple more versions and they will be up with low end DSLRs. They seem just to have so much more computing power than real cameras do. Folded optics will be the next big thing. Then they will have zoom lenses. Heck I can't believe what my Apple watch is capable of doing. Amazing stuff.

All these new cameras are super nice for us. But I just don't see overall who is really going to buy thousands of them. Not when you have 5 company's doing FF stuff. That is not even figuring in Leica and this new Zeiss. They don't make much sense for the average person anymore.