The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just looked up on You Tube at footage on the mk III and on average it looks no better to me than any modern Smartphone footage, other than maybe low light stuff. Now the video Andrew did was damn good, but he could have damn near done that with his cellphone also. I just don't see it. I'll stay with my iPhone X. Like I said in another thread, I just don't see most m4/3 cameras anymore as a great buy.

And I don't know how long this thing has been out, but this is one hell of a Gimbal for a phone. And it is cheap and light. Pretty amazing. I think I will buy one.

https://tiffen.com/steadicamvolt/

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, kye said:

and...... where are the rest of the steps? :)

2. Use a soldering iron and some wire somewhere within the area shown in red to attach a 3.5mm jack socket to the hole made in step 1.

If you choose the wrong place in step 2 then take the item in the blue circle and drag it vigorously across the underneath of the item in the green circle.

omde10.jpg.87df3cf25858f399d98aa5ffd0d31f41.jpg

10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I just looked up on You Tube at footage on the mk III and on average it looks no better to me than any modern Smartphone footage, other than maybe low light stuff. Now the video Andrew did was damn good, but he could have damn near done that with his cellphone also. I just don't see it. I'll stay with my iPhone X. Like I said in another thread, I just don't see most m4/3 cameras anymore as a great buy.

And I don't know how long this thing has been out, but this is one hell of a Gimbal for a phone. And it is cheap and light. Pretty amazing. I think I will buy one.

I’d like to see a version of the volt for a mirrorless sized body.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Depth of field, low light, and dynamic range are all pretty significant for video. Its like saying there is no advantage over an m43 camera and full frame, cell phone sensors are still very small. 

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

2. Use a soldering iron and some wire somewhere within the area shown in red to attach a 3.5mm jack socket to the hole made in step 1.

If you choose the wrong place in step 2 then take the item in the blue circle and drag it vigorously across the underneath of the item in the green circle.

oh man...  that made me laugh!!

ironically, I might actually be able to work that out.  Find the internal mics and trace to their buffers, splice in a new cable, mount the socket somewhere, probably with a couple of resistors and diodes to prevent nasty things from happening and get the right levels...

I've modded enough hifi equipment in my life :)

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, kye said:

ironically, I might actually be able to work that out.  Find the internal mics and trace to their buffers, splice in a new cable, mount the socket somewhere, probably with a couple of resistors and diodes to prevent nasty things from happening and get the right levels...

Indeed

Someone has done exactly that with an LX100 and it is an applicable hack for all of these cameras.

Annoyingly, Olympus do have a smart shoe adapter for their PEN M43 cameras that lets you use an external mic input for about £70 (the kit actually comes with a lav mic as well) but as with Sony and their similar add on for the earlier versions of RX100 they have decided to sign up for the "Lets make them buy the next one up if they want a mic input" treaty with the rest of them.

Oddly enough, the smart shoe adapter, like the EVF they do with the same connector, is also compatible with the Leica M so if you ever fancy having better audio when shooting HD video on a rangefinder (and who doesn't) then you can use the Olympus one for a fifth of the price of the Leica branded one.

SEMA-1_oncameraback_800d.jpg.9cbb1d6c706589bac44750447984c37d.jpg

46 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Depth of field, low light, and dynamic range are all pretty significant for video. Its like saying there is no advantage over an m43 camera and full frame, cell phone sensors are still very small. 

Well I have looked all over for DR on the mk III and the best I can find is for photo, and even that is pretty low. SO I would bet the Video DR on it is no better than 10 tops.  The new iPhones and the Samsungs all had a DoF thingy now that works pretty well. Low light, we are not talking A7s stuff here with a m4/3 sensor in this camera. I think, to me it is a no go. Pass. Hell you can't even make a phone call on it. ? Sure on vacation you can throw it in your wife's purse and away you go, but to use on a daily basis, nah. Phones have Really gotten pretty damn good.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M10,Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I think webrunner5 might be one of these brand infiltrators Andrew was talking about.

15 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I think webrunner5 might be one of these brand infiltrators Andrew was talking about.

Ahh you must be new, hell you are, welcome aboard.  Great way to start off. Super good info. Now we are Really informed. My day is complete. But since I am such a nice guy I'll send you one of the extra Arri Alexa's I got for mentioning them. Heck maybe I will send you the Gimbal I said I will BUY. No freebee on that cheap ass thing. I only get 50 thousand dollar stuff free. Guess the cheap stuff is not a big enough write off for them. ☹️

I have no problem with Cinema5d posting a 40k cage. Many of us were creating video content professionally far before the "dslr revolution", and we continue to do so. Back in the day we could get a 5d mk2 and create images that were arguably better than the $30k video cameras of the day. But, since then the industry has moved on... and many of us have moved with it. We still like the smaller mirorless and dslr cams that produce great results, but as our careers have grown, so have our camera options. We have easy access to Alexa's, Reds, Varicams, Fs7's on down... Most pro jobs cover the cost of renting these cameras rather then sinking $45k into ownership anyway. 

As an independent producer I appreciate knowing what's happening across the entire landscape of digital cinema. All the shooters I personally know feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I have looked all over for DR on the mk III and the best I can find is for photo, and even that is pretty low. SO I would bet the Video DR on it is no better than 10 tops.  The new iPhones and the Samsungs all had a DoF thingy now that works pretty well.

Show me a phone with dof thing on VIDEO, I don’t care about DOF effect on photos, I want it on VIDEO

16 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Show me a phone with dof thing on VIDEO, I don’t care about DOF effect on photos, I want it on VIDEO

Yeah its not a feature available in video. So again I see DOF as a big thing. Dealing with M43 DOF is one thing but when you go to a sensor less then half the size it gets annoying. Phone cameras can only go so far as eventually they get too big and who wants to carry around a huge phone, they are already too big.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I have looked all over for DR on the mk III and the best I can find is for photo, and even that is pretty low. SO I would bet the Video DR on it is no better than 10 tops.  The new iPhones and the Samsungs all had a DoF thingy now that works pretty well. Low light, we are not talking A7s stuff here with a m4/3 sensor in this camera. I think, to me it is a no go. Pass. Hell you can't even make a phone call on it. ? Sure on vacation you can throw it in your wife's purse and away you go, but to use on a daily basis, nah. Phones have Really gotten pretty damn good.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M10,Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III

I do not agree. I have a Samsung S9 plus 250gb F1.5 diaphragm, 4k 60fps, h265 codec with Filmic Pro. Reading reviews, right now is the top of smartphones, but I would never dream of saying it is better than this camera.
I do not even see a good reason to use my phone instead of this camera, maybe to want to be good, the restaurant is more discreet to use a smartphone to take a picture of food :-)
This is a great professional pocket camera, the Olympus is famous for never losing a single shot, and for this price, there is no comparison with a smartphone.
At least, until we see what Red Hydrogen will do ...

28 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

I do not agree. I have a Samsung S9 plus 250gb F1.5 diaphragm, 4k 60fps, h265 codec with Filmic Pro. Reading reviews, right now is the top of smartphones, but I would never dream of saying it is better than this camera.
I do not even see a good reason to use my phone instead of this camera, maybe to want to be good, the restaurant is more discreet to use a smartphone to take a picture of food ?
This is a great professional pocket camera, the Olympus is famous for never losing a single shot, and for this price, there is no comparison with a smartphone.
At least, until we see what Red Hydrogen will do ...

Yeah, 10 stops of dynamic range is like 2 stops more then phones can do. At least. 

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Until that happens just take the advice of your clients and use the magic of post production—add a serial node, use a pen tool to draw a window that will isolate your main subject then blur the background and selectively matte out more or less of the blur across the frame depending on what kind of depth cues you want to build. At 5 minutes per shot including key framing, and an average of 1,000 shots in a feature, you'll be done in 83 hours.  Or stop using your Canon 18-55 STM....