Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Recommended Posts

For people who don't have nikkors this is irrelevant, just don't buy ancient af-d lenses if you want autofocus.

The autofocus of af-d lenses is horrible, it's bearable with a DSLR but with a mirrorless were it keeps tracking all the time it would be pure horror (noisy as hell), I'm pretty shure that Nikon didn't do it because of that.

Af-d lenses can be used with manual focus, and you will be faster and more accurate focusing by hand than with the hipotétical adapter, so if you want AF sell your AFD stuff from the 90s and get new lenses.

KR is a troll, I have AFD lenses too (85 1.4, 28 1.4, 135 DC and 105 2.8) and the best way to use these lenses is on film cameras as they were designed for film and for some reason they loose their beautiful rendering on my d800 and the af precision is not up to the 36mp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Even if we were to concede faster and more reliable AF, smoother IBIS, one to two stops greater dynamic range and 10-bit external, it would still be another twelve months before I could get my hands on a Z6 (Z7 is too rich for my blood) assuming I placed my order today - and several years before equivalents to the Sony 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 or the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 are released - years during which Sony will presumably have added dozens of new lenses to their lineup and introduced bodies with even greater dynamic range and faster AF than the Z cameras. 

So I think it would make little sense to invest in Nikon at this point. And if it’s true that most new Nikon lenses won’t AF with the adapter, it would probably be better for current Nikon shooters to hold onto their D850s. 

And for pretty much the same reasons, if I were to put all my eggs into an APS-C system, I’d probably choose Fuji. Sony has shown a complete disregard for the a6*** series, while at the same time, Fuji has improved by leaps and bounds in just a couple generations and continues to design sensational glass.

Two or three hundred new Nikon lenses that AF with the FTZ adapter? I don’t think so. Have you had a look at this chart?

One thing that most don't understand is that those supposed cheap (performance) because they are 1.8 but costly for the 1.8 are nothing like 1.8 primes before them which have always been the entry level more affordable primes to the top of the line 1.4 -1.2. These primes are exceptional wide open like in those test

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/19/more-nikon-z7-camera-reviews.aspx/

At ISO 64, the Z7 captures 2822 line pairs per picture height (LP/PH), 103 percent of the theoretical maximum.

In comparison, the Nikon D850 captured 2591 LP/PH at ISO 64 – 94 percent of the theoretical maximum.

While Nikon has been clamoring from the get go that its new mount and S line where top of the line, all those youtubers and their 5 minutes attention span followers have been dishing them a some kind of cheap 1.8 shit that Nikon was overpricing. In fact,if right now I had no big lens investment, I would look a lot a Nikon Z mount, because this clearly is a look at the future. With the optical performance of the S-line from the kit zoom to their 1.8 primes being that good, I can be very confident in the future of the z mount lens. Now when you add  that they are silent and zero breathing, with what is looking at super IBIS with the large mount, I would say that the master stroke of this launch, is not the very good z7 and hopefully z6 that Nikon has launch, but the Zmount. Sony and I guess Panasonic will struggle in the long run against Nikon and Canon with their larger mount.  

I am curious to know where did you see that the Nikon has 1 or 2 stop better DR than Sony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

One thing that most don't understand is that those supposed cheap (performance) because they are 1.8 but costly for the 1.8 are nothing like 1.8 primes before them which have always been the entry level more affordable primes to the top of the line 1.4 -1.2. These primes are exceptional wide open like in those test

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/19/more-nikon-z7-camera-reviews.aspx/

At ISO 64, the Z7 captures 2822 line pairs per picture height (LP/PH), 103 percent of the theoretical maximum.

In comparison, the Nikon D850 captured 2591 LP/PH at ISO 64 – 94 percent of the theoretical maximum.

While Nikon has been clamoring from the get go that its new mount and S line where top of the line, all those youtubers and their 5 minutes attention span followers have been dishing them a some kind of cheap 1.8 shit that Nikon was overpricing. In fact,if right now I had no big lens investment, I would look a lot a Nikon Z mount, because this clearly is a look at the future. With the optical performance of the S-line from the kit zoom to their 1.8 primes being that good, I can be very confident in the future of the z mount lens. Now when you add  that they are silent and zero breathing, with what is looking at super IBIS with the large mount, I would say that the master stroke of this launch, is not the very good z7 and hopefully z6 that Nikon has launch, but the Zmount. Sony and I guess Panasonic will struggle in the long run against Nikon and Canon with their larger mount.  

I am curious to know where did you see that the Nikon has 1 or 2 stop better DR than Sony?

I shared the links in my post. You can find the lab tests of the Z7 and a7R III over at PDN. Enjoy the reading while I weep over my scotch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It's nice enough, but really hard to get too much understanding as to how the skin tones will grade... It's almost like they uploaded the log video with no grade (maybe they did?). There is also cold blue/green cast on all the footage i've seen. Hopefully this can be dialed out with manual white balance. 

Like I say, i'm not bashing it... I really want to be blown away as it could be near perfect for me. 

This video I think is the highest production value that I have seen. What I like about Nikon colours is that they are normal, you can just apply a little contrast and saturation and they are good to go. If you want the more aggressive yellow and teal look you also can, but at least if you want some normal colours you don't have to tweak or apply all knind of lut.

This one is as natural as can be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Just got confirmation from Kipon that they will make Speedboosters for both Z and R :)

Isn't the point of having a FF sensor not having to deal with all the compromises that speedboosters bring to the table? It makes a bit of sense with Canon's crop, but for Nikon? Or are you guys itching to slap some slow medium format glass on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Isn't the point of having a FF sensor not having to deal with all the compromises that speedboosters bring to the table? It makes a bit of sense with Canon's crop, but for Nikon? Or are you guys itching to slap some slow medium format glass on it?

I wouldnt call f1.9 slow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Trying to keep my hopes in check!
Guessing a DX mirrorless (with the specs I'm hoping for) around the D7500 price is much much more likely than one priced nearer a D5600 price. (but if so, that would be awesome!)

When you think about it, it is really at the DX level that the mirrorless camera would do a big difference in terms of size (lens) and even cost, because in the end a MILC is much less costly to build. I think just the cost will make them introduce cheaper APSC models, but when is the question.

Nice video from z7 and D500

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Just got confirmation from Kipon that they will make Speedboosters for both Z and R :)

Ask them if they can make a speed booster with tilt shift functions for pentax 67 lenses, it's super hard to get things in focus with large formats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Just got confirmation from Kipon that they will make Speedboosters for both Z and R :)

How's that possible? With Z and R being FF mount and 16mm/20mm flange, normal mount adapters don't seem realistic, let alone speedbooster with optics in between...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, androidlad said:

How's that possible? With Z and R being FF mount and 16mm/20mm flange, normal mount adapters don't seem realistic, let alone speedbooster with optics in between...

Probably the same way they did with medium format for Sony.

EDIT: It seems you are confusing how it works. The short flange is what makes all kind of adapters possible. Not limiting it. The point of the adapter is to fill the space outside the mount. Not inside.

Kipon told me they will have at least 20 adapter models for the new mounts and many more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Castorp said:

KR is tongue-in-cheek because one of Nikon’s selling points was that their cameras had full compatibility with the enourmous F-mount system. Nikon moves away from that years ago when they introduced Af-p or whatever it was, that only had full compatibility from the D3 onwards. That’s also around the time KR switched to Canon I think. And he’s still making cheeky jokes about it, like that diagram. 


Wait what, Ken Rockwell switched to Canon??? Madness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hansel said:

Haha, man that a7iii is probably the most fool proof ff budget go out and get stuff done hybrid camera out there. Only time will tell if the zmount can succeed...

 

auto indexing should also work with FTZ no?

I saw a video showing that you could set up a list of 20 (compared to 10 on DSLRs) AIS lenses, to give the camera focal length and correct aperture data. Handy for stabilization and EXIF data.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

I saw a video showing that you could set up a list of 20 (compared to 10 on DSLRs) AIS lenses, to give the camera focal length and correct aperture data. Handy for stabilization and EXIF data.
 

Boom 💥 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, docmoore said:

I looked at a FS5 M ii ... old sensor pretty noisy at higher ISOs ... add an external Raw recorder and might work until the new M III shows up.

Have had the Z 7 for a couple of days ... was able to get a bit of time with it this afternoon. 

Nothing special ... just looking at color from the N Log. The following is shot at 3200 ISO ... very dark rainy day ... no noise reduction ... 

I will take the haptics, size, color and weather sealing over the Sny any day. Not as robust as my Leica SL but I look forward to adapting my

R and L lenses to this camera.

https://vimeo.com/294245506

Password : daysend

Yes I love blacks to be black ... and colors to match what I see in nature ... so not cinematic ... no teal and brown.

So it may not be awesome ... but I have seen much worse.

Thanks doc, I would love a micro review of the 50 1.2 ai-s on the Z7. I love the lens on my F3 and on the D3, but on the d800 it looked pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...