Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just got my Z6 and so far in terms of output I think it has the Sony beat (at least the ones I’ve owned and used, a7rIII and a7III). The video autofocus seems to be on par with the Sonys.

Colors out of camera are nicer, the IBIS better, the flat profile with sharpness dialled down looks more organic with a decent dynamic range considering it’s not a true log profile.

The Z6 however still has nothing on the GH5-series when it comes to rolling shutter, overall useability and codec.

2 hours ago, Simon Young said:

The Z6 however still has nothing on the GH5-series when it comes to rolling shutter, overall useability and codec.

My Z6 came in yesterday after much delay.  I plan on shooting connected to our Ninja V. I suspect this will give it a decided edge over the GH5/S.

Rolling shutter is not a issue in our use case. I think the ergonomics will grow on you. The GH5/S is a great video camera,  but I suspect the Nikon will be the more balanced hybrid. 

That said,  we just got this camera,  so our opinions may change. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

My Z6 came in yesterday after much delay.  I plan on shooting connected to our Ninja V. I suspect this will give it a decided edge over the GH5/S.

Rolling shutter is not a issue in our use case. I think the ergonomics will grow on you. The GH5/S is a great video camera,  but I suspect the Nikon will be the more balanced hybrid. 

That said,  we just got this camera,  so our opinions may change. 

I agree with you, it’s a more balanced hybrid than the GH5 imo, hence why I bought it. But the gh-series have been video oriented since forever and it’s obvious that Nikon has some catching up to do with regards to tweakable settings, codec etc. Still a lot better in the autofocus department though :)

Something i really love with the X-T3 is the possibility to lock auto white balance. Why aren’t more camera companies implementing this? It’s perfect for docu work.

11 hours ago, DBounce said:

How can Z6 beat 4K/60p from GH5S?

The fact they miss the feature in this camera even through HDMI is beyond my own understanding...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

How can Z6 beat 4K/60p from GH5S?

The fact they miss the feature in this camera even through HDMI is beyond my own understanding...

How? Well some would argue that full frame vs m43 is a decided advantage of the Z6. Also the added low light ability of the Z6 will frequently be of use. 

But for narrative work how exactly is 4k/60p useful? If you are going for the video/soap opera look maybe? But if you are thinking of using it for slow-mo will the actor be speaking in slow-mo also?

Is there another full frame hybrid  camera that outputs full frame 4k @30p in 10 bit log?... Let alone full frame 10 bit log in 4k @60p?

14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

How? Well some would argue that full frame vs m43 is a decided advantage of the Z6. Also the added low light ability of the Z6 will frequently be of use. 

But for narrative work how exactly is 4k/60p useful? If you are going for the video/soap opera look maybe? But if you are thinking of using it for slow-mo will the actor be speaking in slow-mo also?

You won't want to capture all of your stuff on 4K/60p, of course... As much as direct sound, actually ; )

But, you'll probably praise to have such feature to enrich your outcome when you feel like so.

My beef with Z6/Z7 cameras as single motion picture acquisition device is exactly the lack of 4K/60p, no matter how low light ability will be extracted from FF. Or better autofocus. Or yet that extra high resolution as fitter hybrid tools at stills side.

BTW, I've been using ISO1250 coupled to fast glass on MFT (P4K) for night footage without missing FF at all... : -)

10 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

You won't want to capture all of your footage on 4K/60p, of course... But you will probably praise to have such feature to enrich your outcome when you feel like so.

My beef with Z6/Z7 cameras as single motion picture acquisition device is exactly the lack of 4K/60p, no matter how low light ability will be extracted from FF.

BTW, I've been using ISO1250 coupled to fast glass on MFT (P4K) without missing FF at all... : -)

Any of today's modern hybrids can get the job done... but as you no doubt agree, the P4k is not a hybrid. It's a video camera. It has terrible AF, battery life, no EVF, an immovable screen. And while it can be rigged to overcome much of its shortcomings,  once you've done that is not exactly discreet anymore. 

By right the P4k needs to be compared to other cinema cameras... where it really only wins on price point. 

47 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Any of today's modern hybrids can get the job done... but as you no doubt agree, the P4k is not a hybrid. It's a video camera. It has terrible AF, battery life, no EVF, an immovable screen. And while it can be rigged to overcome much of its shortcomings,  once you've done that is not exactly discreet anymore.

No, no and no. I am sorry : ) Have you already shot with one?

AF there can be rather useful, you just have no AF continuous. Other than that, it serves the cause (tap-to-focus + that large screen even adds the absence of EVF : ))

Battery life? Get a few of them or just any workaround as you wish which may fit your cup of tea. You won't complain in the end.

The immovable screen is the best size I've already seen in a camera of this or any other size to be honest. The way fits there and its clever position design even helps the shooter to not feel the need to articulate the screen, that is, no extra distractions to disturb the operator, actually... It works, man !

All about angle(s)...

Forget the selfies : D

Those Aussies have designed such a (PRO) tool : P

There are no relevant shortcomings, really. Only in the head of those who don't know the camera : )

Discretion, you said? It is as light as 722 grams... Mirrorless class, my friend. You put a pancake lens and with its 5" screen looks like you even have a smartphone in your hands!

Trust me, I have one coupled with a 35-100mm f/2.8 between me and my keyboard while I write such words now... Purely true LOL

Get one to begin with and let's talk then, OK? : -)

Last but not least, I'd just appreciate Nikon had added 4K/60p even through HDMI (why not WTH?)

...and I would have purchased a Z7 for sure.

Nikon lover here. My first SLR camera still to collect dust amongst my 2-decades collection of Nikkor lenses (BTW, I can use them on P4K, but I can't the reverse from MFT to Nikon or something else's FF, isn't it? ; )

Therefore, waiting for upcoming Panny offer for now.

I think all the companies are waiting on 4k 60p in full frame. They don't see it as a necessary selling point as a lot of people won't step down to M43 or APSC for 4k 60p. I would think anyone doing solely video would get a XT3, GH5/S, or BMPC4K at this point. However lots of people shoot both video and stills and that is where full frame really comes in handy. Especially true for event work where you often can't control lighting.