Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Two qualities for internal recording 

1080 30/25/24P @ 28 or 14 Mbps

1080 60P @ 56 or 28 Mbps

1080 100/120P @ 144 Mbps HQ only available DX area only.

Slow-mo (30Px4/25Px4/24Px5) ... drops to 36 or 29 Mbps 3 min limit.

HDMI no 1080 120/100P nor slow-mo ... if 10Bit no internal card recording and no photo capture during video recording. EVF is off LCD on.

38 minutes ago, docmoore said:

Two qualities for internal recording 

1080 30/25/24P @ 28 or 14 Mbps

1080 60P @ 56 or 28 Mbps

1080 100/120P @ 144 Mbps HQ only available DX area only.

Slow-mo (30Px4/25Px4/24Px5) ... drops to 36 or 29 Mbps 3 min limit.

HDMI no 1080 120/100P nor slow-mo ... if 10Bit no internal card recording and no photo capture during video recording. EVF is off LCD on.

That's quite good for both slow-motion mode at 60p (56mbps) and 144mbps 120p (I would have like hdmi output). Somehow they could have upped the normal 24/25/30 to 50 mbs for example. An internal 50 mbps 422 even in 8 bit (10 bit would have been better) would be broadcast ready. I am forced to use a Ninja now.

20 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

That's quite good for both slow-motion mode at 60p (56mbps) and 144mbps 120p (I would have like hdmi output). Somehow they could have upped the normal 24/25/30 to 50 mbs for example. An internal 50 mbps 422 even in 8 bit (10 bit would have been better) would be broadcast ready. I am forced to use a Ninja now.

Well X-T3 can do 200Mbps for 1080p at all framerates.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Why the fuck are you still shooting 1080p in 2018 when you can edit 4K and export to 1080p?

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why the fuck are you still shooting 1080p in 2018 when you can edit 4K and export to 1080p?

That's what the network ask for  practicality and image quality. Many people don't gasp the amount of data which goes into a production. I am doing a reportage now which will be between 21-25 minutes. Just the interviews is between 2-2.5 hours, in total it might reach 5-6 hours of footage. No one wants to deal with 4x the data for just marginal gains.                                     I

14 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I shoot HD mainly to save space on the SD as well as our server. The image quality is basically the same and I don't find myself ever cropping all that much. I would do a 20% crop on HD without hesitation. 

In blue: valid argument even though with SD and storage price today, well.....
In red: sorry but this is simply not true at all... like this is the most untrue thing I have read this week online. 

How about some 4K ... external recorder 10Bit ProRes HQ ....

Went to a favorite place to capture some migratory birds ... turns out a weekend for a waterski tournament. So I captured some birds of a different sort.

This is a short clip from the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison, Texas.

https://vimeo.com/296206092

Password : daysend

It will be taken down in a day.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

In blue: valid argument even though with SD and storage price today, well.....
In red: sorry but this is simply not true at all... like this is the most untrue thing I have read this week online. 

I don't care what you believe. If you want to shoot 4K go ahead. All I know is that in a blind test you would not be able to tell them apart.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I don't care what you believe. If you want to shoot 4K go ahead. All I know is that in a blind test you would not be able to tell them apart.

I didn't realize you were blind. Sorry for your loss. But boy at your age, hmm, sad.  Just kidding. I find it hard to believe you can't tell the difference. Even an old turd like me can see the difference between 2K and 4K. You Need a better monitor.

• Administrators

Good luck recovering highlights in LOG, it doesn't really work like RAW. You have to make sure to underexpose to protect any highlights that are important to keep and use zebras.

Also different cameras will have different metering in LOG, like a Sony for example where you expose two stops to the right, is thanks to a shit metering system. On a Fuji X-T3 you can expose bang in the middle and it will be correct for F-LOG. So exposing to the right is not a universal rule for LOG.

Of course no magic involved ... you blow the highlights and even RAW will not recover them.

All of my metering is to protect the highlights, close to but not over the top.

Been disappointed enough times ETTR that my mantra is protect the right and find a decent balance.

Truth be known I prefer blacks to be black ... 

And the Z 7 has clean enough capture that you can usually have a nice result.