Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Kai very positive review of the z7

Kai praises the AF, then has problems with it when filming himself! A bit worrying. 
On the other hand, this is quite impressive, shooting wetland birds at 120fps via the FTZ. It is almost certainly the best video AF available currently for F mount lenses. 
He only shows it with the 500mm prime, which is a lens I can confidently say I will never have. It would have been interesting to see it with the slower zoom lens. Living close to some great wildlife havens, I would love to have a useable, affordable video solution.

• Administrators

My experience so far also tells me the AF is one firmware update away from reliable :)

Look at what Panasonic have just done with v2.4 on the GH5 - seems an impressive step. So I am sure Nikon can make an already good system more bullet proof.

My strategy so far has been to use smaller manual focus lenses - Leica M and Canon FD - along with one Z mount lens (35mm F1.8) for when I REALLY need AF. I am enjoying the camera better this way, than with the FTZ adapter. Big Nikon F mount lenses just feel clunky on it some how.

53 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

On the other hand, this is quite impressive, shooting wetland birds at 120fps via the FTZ. It is almost certainly the best video AF available currently for F mount lenses. 
He only shows it with the 500mm prime, which is a lens I can confidently say I will never have. It would have been interesting to see it with the slower zoom lens. Living close to some great wildlife havens, I would love to have a useable, affordable video solution

The two new 70-300mm AF-P stepper zooms are getting quite good reviews and much faster auto focus than their

predecessors

http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/nikon-lens-reviews/nikkor-zoom-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-56-af-p.html

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

My experience so far also tells me the AF is one firmware update away from reliable :)

Look at what Panasonic have just done with v2.4 on the GH5 - seems an impressive step. So I am sure Nikon can make an already good system more bullet proof.

My strategy so far has been to use smaller manual focus lenses - Leica M and Canon FD - along with one Z mount lens (35mm F1.8) for when I REALLY need AF. I am enjoying the camera better this way, than with the FTZ adapter. Big Nikon F mount lenses just feel clunky on it some how.

At the telephoto end there won't be a lot of size advantage for mirrorless lenses, so I would assume I am going to use F mount lenses for action shooting, where there is, at least, plenty of choice. I agree, smaller glass is part of the appeal of the package, so maybe the 24-70, with a couple of my AIS primes would be a good start.

• Administrators

The 24-70 and 35 Nikon Z lenses are good optically but utterly charmless in the hand. Feel so cheap and you really are paying top dollar for just F1.8 and F4.

I much prefer the Canon EOS R lens line-up.

So that's a bit of a shame as Z7 body itself is superb.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera/

Best MILC construction.

"This is not marketing department weather resistance. This is engineering department weather resistance. Anything that can be sealed has been sealed. I’m impressed, and I will say for future cut-and-paste blurbs: this is as robustly weather sealed a camera as we’ve ever disassembled.

I don’t believe in weather resistance myself. I believe like life; water will find a way. I believe in plastic baggies and rubber bands. I am, however, a great believer in the idea that if you claim to do something, then damn well do it right. This is done right.

I’m impressed by the very solid construction of the chassis and IBIS unit. I’m impressed with the neat, modern engineering of the electrical connections. Yes, I’m aware that soldered wires carry electricity, but to me, there’s something reassuring about seeing neat, well thought out, 2018 level engineering.

I’m not here to tell you which camera is best to use or has the best performance. I’m just here to say this is a damn well-built camera, the best built mirrorless full-frame camera we’ve taken apart. (For the record, I haven’t torn down a Leica SL.)"

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a video of Tony Northup (I hope that's the correct spelling), and the Z6 exhibited noticeable shutter shock at lower shutter speeds and banding at high ISOs with higher shuttwr speeds in electronic shutter.  In the photo nice obviously.

I am guessing the rolling shutter should better than the Z7. 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

I saw a video of Tony Northup (I hope that's the correct spelling), and the Z6 exhibited noticeable shutter shock at lower shutter speeds and banding at high ISOs with higher shutter speeds in electronic shutter.  In the photo nice obviously.

I am guessing the rolling shutter should better than the Z7. 

It's Northrup. And the Z6 seems to have a pretty damn small buffer in it also.

1 hour ago, Aussie Ash said:

Large buffer is less of a necessity because the write speeds to cards with XQD is much faster.

Yeah that is true, but who the heck wants to wait in this day and age. If it is your money shot you can't get you are a pissed off bastard. It's not like ram is expensive as hell in this day and age. And not like you can add to it either. This stuff ought to be endless until your card fills up. Some other cameras do that. I realize it is their first effort, but..

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is true, but who the heck wants to wait in this day and age. If it is your money shot you can't get you are a pissed off bastard. It's not like ram is expensive as hell in this day and age. And not like you can add to it either. This stuff ought to be endless until your card fills up. Some other cameras do that. I realize it is their first effort, but..

They did their best to lower the cost of production as extreme as possible and yet they reported lower profit for their half year.