Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nikon is making still quite a few manual lenses, obviously these will only meter but not af. Then they still make some screwdriver lenses they become manual. All current AF-S lenses meaning anything that came out in the last 19 years or so is (no idea when they introduced af-s) going to work  pretty flawless FROM WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE on my computer ?. Time and tests will tell....I have heard or read that there is about 2 or 300 lenses that work.

Even if we were to concede faster and more reliable AF, smoother IBIS, one to two stops greater dynamic range and 10-bit external, it would still be another twelve months before I could get my hands on a Z6 (Z7 is too rich for my blood) assuming I placed my order today - and several years before equivalents to the Sony 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 or the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 are released - years during which Sony will presumably have added dozens of new lenses to their lineup and introduced bodies with even greater dynamic range and faster AF than the Z cameras. 

So I think it would make little sense to invest in Nikon at this point. And if it’s true that most new Nikon lenses won’t AF with the adapter, it would probably be better for current Nikon shooters to hold onto their D850s. 

And for pretty much the same reasons, if I were to put all my eggs into an APS-C system, I’d probably choose Fuji. Sony has shown a complete disregard for the a6*** series, while at the same time, Fuji has improved by leaps and bounds in just a couple generations and continues to design sensational glass.

22 minutes ago, hansel said:

Nikon is making still quite a few manual lenses, obviously these will only meter but not af. Then they still make some screwdriver lenses they become manual. All current AF-S lenses meaning anything that came out in the last 19 years or so is (no idea when they introduced af-s) going to work  pretty flawless FROM WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE on my computer ?. Time and tests will tell....I have heard or read that there is about 2 or 300 lenses that work.

Two or three hundred new Nikon lenses that AF with the FTZ adapter? I don’t think so. Have you had a look at this chart?

Well there is a shit load of pretty awesome and cheap Nikon glass around, if you don't want the cream of the crop. Holy trinity three generations ago, should work you can get them for 500 each ish. Then the latest afs 1.8 series 20, 24, 28, 35can be had for roughly 500 each, not bargaining here for +-100 bucks here. Afs 50 1.8 can be had for under 200,  85 maybe 300. Let's suggest we can pull you over to the dark side here. You would be pretty well setup with a grand worth of used glass ?

Nikon F-mount G lenses are all the new lenses made by Nikon for over a decade. I don’t know how many but the Z will work fully with more F lenses than any other system has lenses. Should be over a hundred lenses including tilt shift glass and exotic telephoto lenses. More than what is available for any other system except Canon.

KR is tongue-in-cheek because one of Nikon’s selling points was that their cameras had full compatibility with the enourmous F-mount system. Nikon moves away from that years ago when they introduced Af-p or whatever it was, that only had full compatibility from the D3 onwards. That’s also around the time KR switched to Canon I think. And he’s still making cheeky jokes about it, like that diagram. 

Basically the Z can’t focus with af-d lenses because it doesn’t have an af motor. Lower range DX cameras like The d5xxx could never do this either.

The compatibility with manual Nikkor is the same as any other Nikon. Arguably better because great evf and focus peaking.

I don’t see any FD adapters made by Canon.

45 minutes ago, Castorp said:

Nikon F-mount G lenses are all the new lenses made by Nikon for over a decade. I don’t know how many but the Z will work fully with more F lenses than any other system has lenses. Should be over a hundred lenses including tilt shift glass and exotic telephoto lenses. More than what is available for any other system except Canon.

KR is tongue-in-cheek because one of Nikon’s selling points was that their cameras had full compatibility with the enourmous F-mount system. Nikon moves away from that years ago when they introduced Af-p or whatever it was, that only had full compatibility from the D3 onwards. That’s also around the time KR switched to Canon I think. And he’s still making cheeky jokes about it, like that diagram. 

Basically the Z can’t focus with af-d lenses because it doesn’t have an af motor. Lower range DX cameras like The d5xxx could never do this either.

The compatibility with manual Nikkor is the same as any other Nikon. Arguably better because great evf and focus peaking.

I don’t see any FD adapters made by Canon.

KR says:

If all your lenses are AFS or newer like the 28-300, then the Nikon scores 71just like Sony — but most of us have older design AF lenses still sold new today like a 135/2DC, 14/2.8D or 80-200/2.8ED we'd like to use but just became manual focus on this camera.

I've never shot with Nikon, so have no idea whether his statement that most shooters are using the older design AF lenses is true or not.

I did just do a search for AF-S mount lenses over at B&H and turned up a whole bunch, so maybe Ken was a being a little tongue-in-cheek.

It’s all the lenses Nikon has introduced for the last two decades. Does Sony have as wide a variety of lenses as the Nikkor AF-S lenses?

KR mentions some great classics but would he, or you, rather have it that Nikon built an AF motor into the Z series? Making the cameras heavier, more complex and more expensive just for the sake of screw drive compatibility? 

I think it’s good they’re now taking the step Canon took in the 80’s. 

It’s a long term move. I’d feel safer investing in Nikon than almost anything else. 

It’s interesting though how contemporary Canon is reminiscent of Nikon back in the day.

I think Nikon was even more dominant in the 70’s and 80’s compared to Canons lead today. 

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

KR says:

I've never shot with Nikon, so have no idea whether his statement that most shooters are using the older design AF lenses is true or not.

If those were the lenses that "most" Nikon owners have been buying for the past 15 or 20 years then Nikon wouldn't have had enough money left in the bank to buy a mirrorless camera system let alone develop one ;)

105/125dc, yeah like I said there is a fair amount of awesome glass that is all manual now with z6/7. BUT, for Nikon shooter focusing was manual up to this point anyways, for video. It is a bummer but Af-D glass is from the 90s and early 00s so it is kind of ok to slowly move on...

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I forgot to add ‘no breathing’ to the growing list I’m compiling of Nikon’s advantages over Sony so I can be miserable and sulk all day long.

Haha, man that a7iii is probably the most fool proof ff budget go out and get stuff done hybrid camera out there. Only time will tell if the zmount can succeed...

17 minutes ago, Castorp said:

Yes, FTZ works with everything Nikon currently makes except a couple manual ais lenses that are still in production.

auto indexing should also work with FTZ no?