Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

The thin coverglass is great news if you want to use fast vintage glass.

I feel like it's only a matter of time before we see people slapping on various vintage M42-mount lenses on these cameras. 

BTW, @Andrew Reid, can you comment at all on the camera's battery life? I've seen some wildly opposite reports on the performance there and would love to have a better idea of what's going on there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/6/2018 at 11:14 PM, Danyyyel said:

You do understand that with the FTZ adapter, you have all the modern Nikon lens (the last 10-20 years) which work natively on the z series camera. We are not talking about lens that won't focus, meter etc. but work as good with fast focus etc. This already makes the Z cameras have a big advantage in terms of lens compared to any Sony. Now ad the Sigma's which all work very well on the Z and some Tamron's. I am sure Tamron will be working to make sure all their lens work. Some like the 24-70mm is working. Then you have all the lens that can be adapted, we already saw a lot of adapter coming on.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/24/12-novoflex-lens-adapters-for-nikon-z-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced.aspx/

I wouldnt be that optimistic about F mount lens via the FTZ adapter because the lens dont have the built in stepper motors needed for cdaf.

To quote Thom Hogan.

In the continuous autofocus modes the Z7 isn’t a D850. Or even a D7500. This is particularly true with lenses on the FTZ adapter, which forces the camera to always use phase detect. In my initial opinion, the Z7 is substantively behind where the Sony A7Rm3 is for continuous autofocus sequences of objects moving towards you (even at a diagonal). 

My guess is that F mount users will have to eventually switch over to S lenses if they want to take advantage of the Z mounts dual cdaf/pdaf focusing system for 'fast' and 'accurate' focusing.

For whatever it’s worth, Lloyd Chambers is also loving the Z7 to death over the a7r III but is grateful his Milvus and Otus lenses work with the FTZ adapter, because Nikon’s f/4 zoom doesn’t begin to compare to Zeiss.

But let’s be realistic - it’s not fair to compare a slow compact zoom to some of the world’s finest primes, especially ones weighing two pounds each and costing $4,000. Or is it?

A comparison I would like to see however is between Nikon’s f/4 zoom and Tamron’s 28-75mm E mount.

7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I wouldnt be that optimistic about F mount lens via the FTZ adapter because the lens dont have the built in stepper motors needed for cdaf.

To quote Thom Hogan.

In the continuous autofocus modes the Z7 isn’t a D850. Or even a D7500. This is particularly true with lenses on the FTZ adapter, which forces the camera to always use phase detect. In my initial opinion, the Z7 is substantively behind where the Sony A7Rm3 is for continuous autofocus sequences of objects moving towards you (even at a diagonal). 

My guess is that F mount users will have to eventually switch over to S lenses if they want to take advantage of the Z mounts dual cdaf/pdaf focusing system for 'fast' and 'accurate' focusing.

His findings goes against nearly all other ones I saw. The general consensus is that the AF works as good or as bad as the lens you are using. I mean if you are using a fast lens it will be about as fast as it is on Fmount.

I mean it might be a fraction slower, but I can live with that kind of tracking everyday. In fact there are shot I would never have been able to do like in this video manually like subject moving toward me and same time zooming at 70-200 FF at 2.8.

5 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

An argument in favour of Sony's EyeAF - if we ever get an AF f1.2 lens it will be essential. Not a big deal with an f4 zoom though.

You do understand that in the last video the guy was using a 105 1.4 lens. I personally don't think that these are practical for filmmaking at all for close-ups of the face, as the example above shows is that it becomes weird to see just the eyes in focus, it might be use only when simulating someone dizzy etc.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

To quote Thom Hogan.

Thom is a stills guy though. I am not sure if he is even talking about VIDEO AF, which is what we want to know about.

At least with my 35mm F1.8 Z mount lens it has been flawless so far. About to test the F mount stuff too.

If you can test the old 28-70 2.8 lens with a working af motor it would be nice to know if it works in video.

I have a love-hate relationship with that lens, I hate the bulk and broken afmotor but the images are so cinematic... it has a very natural image.

10 hours ago, Nikkor said:

If you can test the old 28-70 2.8 lens with a working af motor it would be nice to know if it works in video.

I have a love-hate relationship with that lens, I hate the bulk and broken afmotor but the images are so cinematic... it has a very natural image.

That was probably designed before Nikons even had video? I would be impressed if it could do smooth AF.

11 hours ago, Nikkor said:

1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

That was probably designed before Nikons even had video? I would be impressed if it could do smooth AF.

My Nikon 70-200 VR 1 worked well, so I think it should work. It won't be in any way silent, but should work.

On 10/7/2018 at 6:55 AM, Danyyyel said:

Another thing to take into consideration with lens is that they are designing them with video in mind. Those new Z lens have zero breathing. Many are still in the Nikon has no clue about video etc. In the 9-12 month when the Pana full frame etc will come out, they will still be looking just at the 60 4k  to confirm their feelings. But for me I saw a lot small touches that make me think that they are very video centric like the lens above, the second pin for anti twist plate and the preview for Nlog, which is like an inbuilt lut which will be damn good for judging exposure. I also saw an unboxing with some camera with some cable lock for hdmi.

Thinking about timecode was also very impressive. 

Although still waiting to see a bit more details, like how is it being jammed?

22 hours ago, Aussie Ash said:

Some of the best "beard tracking" I've ever seen.

Sounds like I need to buy another Nikon

Just now, Nikkor said:

Imagine the hype with this camera having a sticker saying "Canon"

Until I see some footage that blows me away though, the hype is all in the paper specs. 

Nothing i've seen so far has made me think it is even on par with my XH1 in terms of a satisfying image... and I really want to like this as it ticks so many boxes for me. Hopefully more footage will appear soon.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Until I see some footage that blows me away though, the hype is all in the paper specs. 

Nothing i've seen so far has made me think it is even on par with my XH1 in terms of a satisfying image... and I really want to like this as it ticks so many boxes for me. Hopefully more footage will appear soon.

@Andrew Reid we are waiting

this one is nice, I'm still looking for some other video but most of the youtube stuff is using the photo picturestyles without NDs  which have way to much contrast and motion jitter.