Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

17 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Exactly. The Tammy is the best lens I have ever used because it's so convenient, light yet super sharp and F2.8. 

I think having a couple of  primes with super big apertures is nice like a 35mm 1.4 is always great. But for traveling, mountain use and so one having one light 2.8 standard zoom is great and enough 80% of the time. 

The only lens I miss is the UWA to pair it so let's say a 16-28mm f2.8 from Tamron that is also very light. 

That would cover  16-75 f2.8 and even 16-110mm f2.8 in video with Sony crop mode for an absolute record weight. So exciting. We need this for the Nikon and Panasonic too

For video, a compact 16mm prime would cover UWA and WA with a APS-C crop turned on. To be honest I would be happy with a MF lens and using range-focusing/hyperfocal distance for most UWA purposes, as shallow DOF is rarely achievable. A 28-75mm f2.8 zoom and a 105mm f2.8 macro/portrait lens. Also bung in a 50mm f1.2 AIS lens for effect and you have a pretty lightweight/affordable kit for most purposes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/5/2018 at 2:07 AM, jonpais said:

What many fail to remark is that Sony’s biggest advantage is the huge lens selection - not just thirty as is repeated so often now, but hundreds - and over the next few years, that gap will only widen, not get narrower. 

You do understand that with the FTZ adapter, you have all the modern Nikon lens (the last 10-20 years) which work natively on the z series camera. We are not talking about lens that won't focus, meter etc. but work as good with fast focus etc. This already makes the Z cameras have a big advantage in terms of lens compared to any Sony. Now ad the Sigma's which all work very well on the Z and some Tamron's. I am sure Tamron will be working to make sure all their lens work. Some like the 24-70mm is working. Then you have all the lens that can be adapted, we already saw a lot of adapter coming on.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/24/12-novoflex-lens-adapters-for-nikon-z-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced.aspx/

20 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

You do understand that with the FTZ adapter, you have all the modern Nikon lens (the last 10-20 years) which work natively on the z series camera. We are not talking about lens that won't focus, meter etc. but work as good with fast focus etc. This already makes the Z cameras have a big advantage in terms of lens compared to any Sony. Now ad the Sigma's which all work very well on the Z and some Tamron's. I am sure Tamron will be working to make sure all their lens work. Some like the 24-70mm is working. Then you have all the lens that can be adapted, we already saw a lot of adapter coming on.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/24/12-novoflex-lens-adapters-for-nikon-z-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced.aspx/

True, but I was referring to native mount lenses, not adapted.

Fair point though.

Another thing to take into consideration with lens is that they are designing them with video in mind. Those new Z lens have zero breathing. Many are still in the Nikon has no clue about video etc. In the 9-12 month when the Pana full frame etc will come out, they will still be looking just at the 60 4k  to confirm their feelings. But for me I saw a lot small touches that make me think that they are very video centric like the lens above, the second pin for anti twist plate and the preview for Nlog, which is like an inbuilt lut which will be damn good for judging exposure. I also saw an unboxing with some camera with some cable lock for hdmi.

7 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Another thing to take into consideration with lens is that they are designing them with video in mind. Those new Z lens have zero breathing. Many are still in the Nikon has no clue about video etc. In the 9-12 month when the Pana full frame etc will come out [...]

Fly by wire lenses are really not ideal for focus pulling.

Manual focus lenses are better; cinema lenses are the best. 

If you haven't already placed your order for a Z6, it's entirely possible you may not get it before the Panasonic FF cameras are released. Just sayin'

30 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Fly by wire lenses are really not ideal for focus pulling.

Manual focus lenses are better; cinema lenses are the best. 

If you haven't already placed your order for a Z6, it's entirely possible you may not get it before the Panasonic FF cameras are released. Just sayin'

If focus can be controlled remotely, accurately, repeatably and electronically, does a focus puller really need a cogwheel attached to the lens any more? Maybe there is no compatible device yet, but it should be possible.

14 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

If focus can be controlled remotely, accurately, repeatably and electronically, does a focus puller really need a cogwheel attached to the lens any more? Maybe there is no compatible device yet, but it should be possible.

They have been coming out with some interesting solutions, including this one.

20 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

They have been coming out with some interesting solutions, including this one.

I think Basilisk means without any external motors and gears at all, similar to how the Aputure DEC works with EF lenses. I'm surprised devices like the DEC aren't more common. Any camera company could make a follow focus wheel (or rocker) that plugs straight into the camera body, and sends electronic signals to control the AF motor built into the lens. Hard infinity stops, custom A/B points, repeatable throws--all it would take is some simple hardware and some code.

If such a feature materialized, lens ergonomics would cease to matter!

• Super Members

The challenge is in translating the track of the physical input to the lens position.

You can do a test calibration of the lens to determine the number of discreet focus positions it has (a typical MFT lens has around 150 for example) and in an ideal world you would then map them around the steps of a rotary encoder as your input source for the operator, so position 124 on the encoder would equate to lens position 82 for example.

Unfortunately, the current situation is that, remotely, you only have the ability to do offsets from the current position, often in single steps.

So, for example, if you are currently at lens position 82 and need to get to position 65 you need to send 17 minus commands to get to 65.

This is less of a problem when you are trying to do an automated A/B transition (although the transition speed between two very distant points is limited in how fast it can be due to the number of commands that have to be used) but it becomes a real problem when you are doing anything that involves manual real time user input.

The amount of focus change and the speed with which it can be achieved with a manual focus wheel is too difficult to track in realtime because the lens cannot currently electronically be told to go to a specific position and it all has to be done with offsets.

So if you turn the focus wheel to what the encoder knows is position 124 and it has to go to position 82 on the lens then depending upon where you start the turn then at best the tracking will be probably be bumpy but at worst incredibly laggy.

If changes are made by manufacturers to allow driving a lens remotely to specific positions then a universal motor and hassle free solution for wireless follow focus would be easy and cheap to produce.

Until they do, every solution where you want manual control is going to be hamstrung by this tracking issue.

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

f changes are made by manufacturers to allow driving a lens remotely to specific positions then a universal motor and hassle free solution for wireless follow focus would be easy and cheap to produce.

Until they do, every solution where you want manual control is going to be hamstrung by this tracking issue.

Yeah, I'm talking about a camera company making a first party solution.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Yeah, I'm talking about a camera company making a first party solution.

Absolutely.

They'd need to make the changes for themselves too as their own remote solutions can't currently do it either.

I have a sneaking feeling the SL alliance might do it first though.

Z7 what's inside ?

https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

quote:"Another unique aspect: the cover glass of the Z7’s sensor is about half a thick as the Sony’s, coming in at 1.1mm. This means the Nikon will have better performance with adapter lenses right out of the box. "

Sony users discovered adapted " rangefinder wide angle lenses" have "image" problems on A7 bodies

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/rangefinder-wide-angle-lenses-on-a7-cameras-problems-and-solutions/

Just got the Z7 with the 24-70 S f4.  Size is perfect.  Just big enough to fit all my fingers.  I wouldn't want it any smaller.  It has a quality feel.  Viewfinder is amazing, and rear LCD is surprisingly bright and clear.  It's like a mini monitor.  I'll try it out in the sun tomorrow.  I did a quick IBIS test walking handheld.  It looked pretty steady.  I'll run some more tests.  The Z7 has a lot of features.  This will take a while to get proficient.  I'm looking forward to using their Picture Profile software to create custom profiles, import them into the camera, and shoot video with them.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Aussie Ash said:

Z7 what's inside ?

https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

quote:"Another unique aspect: the cover glass of the Z7’s sensor is about half a thick as the Sony’s, coming in at 1.1mm. This means the Nikon will have better performance with adapter lenses right out of the box. "

Sony users discovered adapted " rangefinder wide angle lenses" have "image" problems on A7 bodies

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/rangefinder-wide-angle-lenses-on-a7-cameras-problems-and-solutions/

I am amazed how sparse that motherboard is in there given the specs!!

@Michael1 good summary. Pretty much my thoughts as well.

3 hours ago, Michael1 said:

.  I'm looking forward to using their Picture Profile software to create custom profiles, import them into the camera, and shoot video with them.

Yup, always great to download those from this site. https://nikonpc.com/

My favorite profiles are Flaat_10 and S5pro_F1a

• Administrators

Something I didn't mention in the article, was how damn responsive it is. There's the zero-blank out when taking a full res 46mp still in movie mode, and with 400Mbit/s write speed XQD card the buffer clearing speeds are almost instant. No lock-ups or waiting at all. Menus are much more responsive than Sony and start-up too.