Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
2 hours ago, tupp said:

The Nikkor F mount is safer, as it has a greater flange focal distance.

It can be adapted to almost any camera with an EF mount or shallower.

Furthermore, it is impossible to mount some lenses with EF mounts onto the EF speed boosters, while those same lenses with Nikkor F mounts can be mounted to the Nikkor F speed boosters (supposedly because of the EF speed boosters have an EF-S blocking flange).

Of course, lenses with EF mounts cannot be properly adapted (without extra optics) to cameras/adapters with Nikkor F mounts.

To ensure the most possible camera/lens combinations, the basic rule of thumb is that cameras should have the shortest possible flange focal distance while lenses should have the longest possible flange focal 

The salient point was about adapting with AF though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Yurolov said:

I'd say nikon is the best option for the future seeing as they have nothing to protect. They are the only ones who are offering a full frame 4k package with a broadcast codec (all be it external). Right off the bat their video af is seemingly as good as canon's. Their lenses also show a commitment toward video with breathless focusing. It certainly seems 4k60 and 10 bit internal will be on the next gen models. Plus for the z6 the entry point is still low if you have nikon glass. If you are getting into sony you are priced out pretty soon.

Say what you want about sony but they have given us the same crappy old codec and the same crappy old color science. I think its clear to anyone they are protecting their cine cameras. Canon ditto, but at least there you can get a good image out of them and the autofocus is nice. 

True for Nikon. True for Sony in past except AF and image is good. 

A7SIII is soon (2019) but Nikon next Z is far. And I think A7S will improve a lot what you say (codec, colors,...). I don’t think you can say Sony protect their cine line like canon 

The current mirrorless situation can be compared to the political landscape of "progressive" vs "conservative", where a large conservative majority (Canon) refuses to change their stance and the equally large (or smaller) entity of "progressive" wallet voters are flexible enough to support any OEM (party) that is offering appropriate (uncrippled) features, thus splitting the market (vote) share between smaller players - leaving the giant unchallenged basically.

This "bipartisan" struggle could only damage the monopolist if they all united behind a single mount that would give all of the smaller OEMs a chance to thrive. Nikon, Sony, Panasonic et. al. are basically fighting for (and winning over) the same subset of customers even though they are all innovating very fast and should all be rewarded accordingly.

I can see the commercial logic in keeping your mount specs proprietary, to give an incentive to camera owners to buy the lenses. But apart from perhaps the f4 zoom, the offering is on the expensive side. If I go down this route I will probably be mostly adapting lenses, and if the AF performance of adapted F mount lenses is close to as good as native lenses then it is not like you are tying yourself into an untested platform. Now Sigma and Tamron are coming up with original and affordable FE mount designs, I just hope that Z mount versions are not far behind, and that they provide native performance - it is still too early to guess.

1 hour ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

I actually really hope we see Voigtlander make some new lenses for the Z-mount. 

Apparently NiSi is also working on a 75mm f0.95 lens for the Sony E, Nikon Z and EOS-R mounts too

I hope voigtlander release their full mirrorless lineup on Nikon/Canon. 

20mm 3.5, 35mm 1.4, 40mm 1.2, 65mm f2, 105mm 2.5 

Or maybe we will get lucky and get a lightweight 28mm f2,  40mm f1, 90mm f2, and 125mm f2. A man can dream :)

You probably will do this anyway,  but my request for testing is to test the effect of sharpening and turning down/off sharpening.  The main reason is that z7 and z6 footage ive seen seems to have edge enhansement or high sharpening, especially evident on high contrast transitions like the edge of a white dress etc.   And also, does recording log externaly get rid of sharpening or is there stil an option or is it there no matter what?

10 minutes ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

So you're saying that they're looking at possibly making lenses for the new Z mount?

Pretty sure that's what I heard them say during an interview if I remember correctly. But according to some forum members, I can't even remember what they just typed two seconds before. :)

Edit: It might've been Sigma! haha

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Pretty sure that's what I heard them say during an interview if I remember correctly. But according to some forum members, I can't even remember what they just typed two seconds before. :) 

I definitely hope that's the case! The sooner other lens companies chip in and offer various new lenses for the Z mount, the better. I love the look and feel that the Voigtlander M43 lineup has to offer- if they can bring that sort of feel to the Z mount, I'd be elated.

@Vintage Jimothy Voigtlander FE mount lenses have electronic coupling to the camera, so EXIF data is passed along, information regarding focal length enables the camera to compensate for camera shake with IBIS, turning the focus ring can trigger focus magnification if enabled in the menu, and in-camera software correction for aberrations is made possible.

This probably will not be the case if Voigtlander decides to make Z mount lenses: and even if it were, there is no guarantee that future software updates or Z mount cameras will communicate with the lens. 

Has anyone been able to compare the Autofocus of the Z7 vs Z6?

Given the Z7 has 493 PDAF points vs the Z6’s 273, there may be differences.

Also any potential differences in low light would be interesting to see, as the Z7’s metering goes down to -3EV and AF to -1EV vs the Z6’s -4EV metering and -2EV AF. (not to be confused with both having -4EV AF with the 'Low light AF' option, which I believe additionally uses a contrast detect step)

One question: I have read here and there that Sony has open its lens mount but not canikon with the mirrorless. Is it also true for Nikon and Canon DSLRs? If yes it does not seem too bad (good Sigma and tamron lenses for those).

We saw tamron offering a great lens for the FE. I am curious to see if there will be any difference with the same tamron for Z mount for instance. I hope not otherwise that really sucks hell. 

No way I pay 2200$ Lens when I get as good and lighter for 800$. 

That could be an immense advantage for Sony if true

• Administrators
12 hours ago, wolf33d said:

One question: I have read here and there that Sony has open its lens mount but not canikon with the mirrorless. Is it also true for Nikon and Canon DSLRs? If yes it does not seem too bad (good Sigma and tamron lenses for those).

We saw tamron offering a great lens for the FE. I am curious to see if there will be any difference with the same tamron for Z mount for instance. I hope not otherwise that really sucks hell. 

No way I pay 2200$ Lens when I get as good and lighter for 800$. 

That could be an immense advantage for Sony if true

I guess Sigma are ok for now making Nikon F mount lenses which work on the Z flawlessly through the FTZ adapter.

But Canon and Nikon should be more like Panasonic and Sony and share the mount, that's for sure.

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

What many fail to remark is that Sony’s biggest advantage is the huge lens selection - not just thirty as is repeated so often now, but hundreds - and over the next few years, that gap will only widen, not get narrower. 

I am not worried about hundreds of lenses. I am happy mounting adapted lenses for special purposes, and obviously all my manual focus lenses will be fine. If the F mount lenses focus at native speeds, there is not even any need for long wildlife lenses; a Z mount version of those is hardly going to be much more compact.
What I really need though is an affordable, practical, compact, lightweight f2.8 run and gun standard lens like the Tamron 28-75. We know it can be done.

20 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

I am not worried about hundreds of lenses. I am happy mounting adapted lenses for special purposes, and obviously all my manual focus lenses will be fine. If the F mount lenses focus at native speeds, there is not even any need for long wildlife lenses; a Z mount version of those is hardly going to be much more compact.
What I really need though is an affordable, practical, compact, lightweight f2.8 run and gun standard lens like the Tamron 28-75. We know it can be done.

Yeah, something like the Tamron would be a great boon for either Nikon or Canon's new mounts at this point. 

4 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Exactly. The Tammy is the best lens I have ever used because it's so convenient, light yet super sharp and F2.8. 

I think having a couple of  primes with super big apertures is nice like a 35mm 1.4 is always great. But for traveling, mountain use and so one having one light 2.8 standard zoom is great and enough 80% of the time. 

The only lens I miss is the UWA to pair it so let's say a 16-28mm f2.8 from Tamron that is also very light. 

That would cover  16-75 f2.8 and even 16-110mm f2.8 in video with Sony crop mode for an absolute record weight. So exciting. We need this for the Nikon and Panasonic too