Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

Just now, forofilms said:

Really curious about the IBIS performance on the Nikon Zs. Sony isn't up to snuff for me. Would really love a FF option with the IBIS performance of a GH5. No 4k60p is a bummer too... 

I have a feeling we'll see 4k60p either in a video-centric Nikon Z model sometime next year or whenever they opt to make the second generation of the Z line. It'd be awesome if Nikon also boosted up the 1080p max frame rate to either 180 fps or 240 fps whenever that time comes too. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really want Nikon Z6 to be a very successful camera, I just wished a 4K 60p internally. C'mon Nikon, surprise everyone at Z6 launch, you can do it ?

I have one question, when changing between photo and video mode, does it keep the values from each mode? I hate to keep changing  the shutter, iso, aperture when going from photo to video. And this new Nikon' Z6 is possibly my new future camera, a really hybrid camera. And then I can sell my D600 and Samsung NX1.

1 minute ago, BaZa said:

I really want Nikon Z6 to be a very successful camera, I just wished a 4K 60p internally. C'mon Nikon, surprise everyone at Z6 launch, you can do it ?

I have one question, when changing between photo and video mode, does it keep the values from each mode? I hate to keep changing  the shutter, iso, aperture when going from photo to video. And this new Nikon' Z6 is possibly my new future camera, a really hybrid camera. And then I can sell my D600 and Samsung NX1.

If Nikon were to pull that off, it'd definitely be something to immediately draw attention towards the Z6.

• Administrators

Z6 has already been launched, it is a set-spec and they had the final production units at Photokina to try out. It won't do 4K 60p but it's a better camera than the already very good A7 III for similar money, which is why it's so exciting.

38 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Really curious about the IBIS performance on the Nikon Zs. Sony isn't up to snuff for me. Would really love a FF option with the IBIS performance of a GH5. No 4k60p is a bummer too... 

I practically always shoot with my a7 III on a gimbal; footage would be too shaky otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I practically always shoot with my a7 III on a gimbal; footage would be too shaky otherwise. 

What gimbal do you personally prefer using?

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Z6 has already been launched, it is a set-spec and they had the final production units at Photokina to try out. It won't do 4K 60p but it's a better camera than the already very good A7 III for similar money, which is why it's so exciting.

Do you think the "anamorphic mode via a firmware update (even if it's only in Super35 crop mode)" idea is a viable option at all? 

3 minutes ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

What gimbal do you personally prefer using?

Do you think the "anamorphic mode via a firmware update (even if it's only in Super35 crop mode)" idea is a viable option at all? 

I’m still using the original Crane.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I so hope this camera works out...

If it can better the dynamic range and the low light of the D750 with the convenience of the Flat Profile (instead of LOG), then personally I can live with 4K 30 8-bit.

I mean, I BELIEVE I can live with 4K 30p instead of 60p... Hopefully the 1080p of the Z6 is really nice...

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes absolutely viable but Nikon's marketing department probably doesn't even know what an anamorphic is!! :)

Quick! Someone inform the folks at Atomos that they need to have a talk with their pals at Nikon! ?

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m still using the original Crane.

Nice! I'm looking at the new Weebill Lab for now. Seems like a very promising gimbal to me!

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Agree with Andrew, XT3 is fantastic with specs but lack of IBIS and FF is a pain. 

Canon is out of the question. 

Sony is late with A7SIII and they will have the usual ergonomics problems. 

Panasonic S fantastic but AF is such a deal breaker. 

Nikon got everything right except they aren’t releasing a super video camera like A7S / S1... no 4K60p... this is such a bummer. Not to mention poor lens choice but let’s say this is only going to improve with time. 

Again big compromises everywhere.

My guess is that it’s still will be a Sony win next year for my use because the A7S will be the only one to combine 4K60 with good AF and IBIS and FF. Pana AF is a Deal Breaker so is 4K30p on Z7, so is Canon so is lack of FF and ibis with XT3. 

It’s a shame because the Sony’s probably the least enjoyable camera to shoot with from the above.

Get a used 1dx ii

42 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Z6 will be better than the Z7 in video. Could you do a face off between the Z6 and the A7iii.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, BaZa said:

Yup you can set separate settings for photo/video and switch between the two. Love that feature and like you hated the switching on the Sony. Even better the switch for it is by the AF-on button so it's fast access to switch.

• Administrators

IBIS seems like an A7 III beater so far. Impressive.

Regarding separate settings - I can keep 180 degree shutter on Manual mode for movies, and not have to worry about remembering to put it back to 1/50 again after shooting stills. Why don't Sony think of things like this? They are androids.

Has anyone found out how to stop the camera using 1/25 in low light when using Aperture Priority mode with auto-ISO in video mode? Doesn't seem to be a minimum shutter speed setting like for auto ISO in stills mode.

Thank god they have separate settings for photo/video.

When I talked about the 4k60p, was through a firmware update. We can always dream.... Fuji introduces new features with firmware, maybe Nikon could do the same with their mirrorless segment. 

I can't wait to see your review Andrew. 

I saw  the other day a rear anamorphic adapter and saw that Slr Magic was launching big front anamorphic adapter. There used to be a time when they were taking a lot of feedback here, I was going to ask with Nikon Z and dare I say Canon R , they could do a much simpler rear adapter for much less. I understand you don't get oval bokeh and flares , but the adapter could have fine lines on the lens or like fishing lines diy adapters. We would get at least 2 of the anamorphic characteristic. You could also add an oval type aperture for the oval bokeh look.

was lau

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's a bit like doubling the horse power of your car through an engine mapping software tweak :) Not gonna happen. Anamorphic mode on the other-hand, perfectly doable!

Maybe without AF the camera could do 60p, but nikon has no history with firmware updates.