Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Agree with Andrew, XT3 is fantastic with specs but lack of IBIS and FF is a pain. 

Canon is out of the question. 

Sony is late with A7SIII and they will have the usual ergonomics problems. 

Panasonic S fantastic but AF is such a deal breaker. 

Nikon got everything right except they aren’t releasing a super video camera like A7S / S1... no 4K60p... this is such a bummer. Not to mention poor lens choice but let’s say this is only going to improve with time. 

Again big compromises everywhere.

My guess is that it’s still will be a Sony win next year for my use because the A7S will be the only one to combine 4K60 with good AF and IBIS and FF. Pana AF is a Deal Breaker so is 4K30p on Z7, so is Canon so is lack of FF and ibis with XT3. 

It’s a shame because the Sony’s probably the least enjoyable camera to shoot with from the above.

• Administrators

Yeah wolfy I think that sums things up well. The Nikon seems like an all-rounder, whereas the others all have some kind of deal-breaker.

1.8x crop on EOS R

Contrast AF on Panasonic

Sony ergonomics, unresponsiveness and menus

Samsung NX1 - pulled out of market

Fujifilm comes out well but no IBIS in their 10bit video model makes us pine for an X-H2

Nikon... Hard to see a downside apart from the pricing and availability?

21 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Can't wait to see your stuff, show us the glory of the 35mm 1.8!!! Plase see if you can get 10bit without n-log, and with active d-lighting!!!

Wait did I miss something?! Is there a hack to get it internally without N-LOG?

Just repeating what I said on Twitter, but it'd be really clever of Nikon to cash in on the current lack of an A7sIII by announcing a new video-focused Z-mount camera, as opposed to the Z6 and Z7 being hybrid models.

Or perhaps another thing Nikon could do to steal attention away from Sony is incorporate a firmware update for the Z6 and Z7 to shoot in anamorphic mode? While users would probably have to shoot that in a Super35-type crop, I think that could be a feature that would light up more attention from the video crowd. Imagine adapting something like the Atlas Orion anamorphic lenses onto the Z6 or Z7 and being able to use it properly without creating too wide of an image?

41 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wait did I miss something?! Is there a hack to get it internally without N-LOG?

I don't think so, I thought you would have a recorder. My interest lies in the posibility or not to get 10bit external without having to use log, and if it's possible to have active d-lighting in 10bit with and without log.

Active d-lighing is something to improve dynamic range, so probably it makes no sense to use it with log, but if you can have 10bit with the other picture styles and have d-lighting this would be very interesting for the people who want to shoot 4K HDR without loosing information to log (compressing the midtones,wasting bits on deep noisy shadows and highlights to iso 800)

For me, it’s about native mount lenses. Not fond of adapters.

If I were investing in APS-C, I wouldn’t hesitate to choose Fuji. In general, their lenses have incredible build and optical quality.

For full frame mirrorless, there are hundreds of choices for Sony full frame, from affordable cinema lenses by Rokinon and SLR Magic to Sigma and Zeiss as well as photography lenses by Sigma, 7artisans, Laowa and Voigtlander and dozens more. Not to mention Sony’s own lenses.

But from what I’ve seen, the Nikon is an excellent camera, besting Sony in many categories.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

For me, it’s about native mount lenses. Not fond of adapters.

I am fine with adapters for the older stuff like Canon FD. It's when it has firmware bugs and crap AF when it becomes an issue. Thankfully the Sigma / Sony adapter was pretty good and Metabones firmware improves all the time, though still not great.

There are some very good adapters out there, Kipon have such a HUGE range. I am keen to try their medium format speed boosters on this. They have German optics, and bring Pentax 645 glass into play.

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think that price is Just the deposit price!! "starting at $7995 USD"

Oh damn. That's definitely a lot pricier than I anticipated. lol

Still I think my previous suggestion for Nikon to look into possibly incorporating an anamorphic mode into the Z6 and Z7 via firmware update could work. Right now the only cameras in that general playing field that can do that are the GH5 and GH5s, right?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nikon... Hard to see a downside apart from the pricing and availability?

8bit, 4:2:0, no log are the obvious downsides compared to the competition. If you are pairing it with a 10bit recorder though, it looks a great setup.