OIS vs sheer weight for stabilisation?

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I can tell you huge weight works as witnessed in the usage of the large ENG cameras. When it the last time you saw shaky footage form one of them, even walking backwards?

But that is never going to happen using a Mirrorless camera no matter if you hang a ENG lens of of it. So Yeah, OIS is the way to go. On a small camera body the long lens acts like a lever and multiplies that movement. There is a reason most cine cameras are long and narrow. Also so it fits on your shoulder. The Sony PMW  F3 was more of a box than most, and it sucked at shoulder stuff. Sony FS 100, 700 was no better with the LCD right in the middle on the top. At least they got the LCD right on the F3. The Sony EX3 was a Huge improvement for shoulder work.

How the hell was you suppose to see the screen on a tripod?? Stand on a stepladder I guess.

sony_nex-fs100_2.jpg

9 hours ago, kye said:

Shot and edited this today with the setup I pictured above.  GF3 + 14mm F2.5 + Manfrotto pocket tripod.

Shot in full auto with manual focus (because there are no settings available in video mode except focus mode, and autofocus is sloooow and hunts a bit), editing and colour in Resolve.

The setup was a PITA really, the tripod either obscures the screen or the MF ring on the lens, which is focus by wire, the screen is fixed so good angles are almost blind, there's no focus assists during recording apart from a slider showing you where in the focus range you are (when you stop recording it shows a small 1:1 crop so if the focus distance isn't changing then it's ok) and it's so small it's hard to hold steady although the tripod actually helps as a bit of a handle.

Not bad for a metal body camera that came with two lenses, memory card, battery, charger, UV filter, screen protector, air blower, and many other things for under $450 about a decade ago.  Of course, we're now in 2018 and I'd rather a setup that was nicer to hold, use, and could be configured in any way at all :)

It takes great photos though, and has full manual controls as well as RAW in stills mode.  Pity about video mode.

With the soft lighting from the window, I thought the image looked decent... of course like always, I watched it on my phone... but that’s something I do intentionally for all videos. 

You own the camera so go at it, but if you’re looking for other options for your trip, keep the same mindset and keep it cheap and small. I still say the OG Pocket is a great choice at less than $500 used... or even a GH2 or GH3 could be had on the cheap and up the quality a touch. The M50 is an option if you want to stay with Canon. Or if you want IBIS, the E-M5 Mark ii can be found for a cheap price and the E-M10iii produces a lovely stabilized image as well... and then there’s the GX85 or G85... the Nikon D5500/5600 are great little cameras... the A6000... and on and on and on. 

And obviously as BTM said, the LX100 is also an awesome little camera with some of that mojo I have heard so much about.

Your inexpensive options are limitless and this trip could be a good way to test a different brand out. I know you’ve been on the fence regarding your next camera move, so use this as a chance to see where you may want to go.

40 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I watched it at 144p like I do everything, and I thought it looked awesome.

As always Jon you have proven to be the biggest fucking asshole on this site. When you venture out of your post office and stop acting like you are a professional cinematographer then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation until then spend your entire retirement money on equipment that is wasted on you and keep your tired old jabs to yourself. Otherwise have a good day.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

As always Jon you have proven to be the biggest fucking asshole on this site. When you venture out of your post office and stop acting like you are a professional cinematographer then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation until then spend your entire retirement money on equipment that is wasted on you and keep your tired old jabs to yourself. Otherwise have a good day.

Yeah what is the deal with that guy? The other day he resurrected an old thread just to rip into a young wedding videographer he found on youtube over the most minor and unimportant details, talked up his career, told a few people to kiss his arse and promptly disappeared. I know retirement is boring but surely he has more camera tests he can make in all his spare time?

2 hours ago, jhnkng said:

Yeah what is the deal with that guy? The other day he resurrected an old thread just to rip into a young wedding videographer he found on youtube over the most minor and unimportant details, talked up his career, told a few people to kiss his arse and promptly disappeared. I know retirement is boring but surely he has more camera tests he can make in all his spare time?

He thinks he’s smarter than everybody else and he’s a miserable prick. Admittedly, I shouldn’t have let him bother me so much but after a while, his annoying little comments are grating. 

8 hours ago, mercer said:

He thinks he’s smarter than everybody else and he’s a miserable prick. Admittedly, I shouldn’t have let him bother me so much but after a while, his annoying little comments are grating. 

Yep, we should be calling these people out as Trolls (there are 2 of them, but one backs off when challenged).

I think we should rename them as the "Egyptian Trolls", after are most famous useless Troll/Advisor/Imposter & Waste of Space contributor. It's getting really annoying as people are sharing stuff, which is a brave thing to do online as it really brings out the worst in some idiots. But this forum always seemed like an accepting safe haven from that & people would give constructive criticism or just shut their big mouths instead of being nasty!

No forum is perfect, but at least here most people are understanding & accepting. My biggest grip is the PK4 thread that was taken over by a GH5 troll - what a waste. Perhaps we need to counter attack or just keep people in check?

Anywho, back to this thread: So here is a run'n'gun I did with the OG Pocket - The very wide shot was done without a tripod, which meant standing still for 6mins (got 3 bites of the action - 1 wide shot & 1 close up of singer both shot during sound check & run'n'gun during the actual gig). Using 3 points of contact, using a cheap viewfinder on the BMPCC screen, a Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip/shoulder brace rig with a Zacuto baseplate with rails & taking lens with anamorphic adaptor (just under 1kg of weight).

Thanks @mercer and @webrunner5 :)

Posting your creativity online is always a bit nerve wracking, especially around people that do this stuff for a living!

I've worked out that IBIS is the way forward for me.  I thought fast primes were always big and heavy (I was extrapolating upwards from my Sigma 18-35 F1.8!) but after seeing a bunch of lovely MFT suitable lenses like the Hellios and the Voitlanders I now realise that they're not heavy enough to stabilise the camera the way a Fujinon Cine 18-55 would, and I couldn't carry that weight all day anyway.

And because primes don't have IS, I need IBIS for hand-holding.

I suspect there's a GH5 in my future, but we'll wait and see.  So I picked up a few cheap m42 lenses to try with my GF3 and see how I go (Hellios 44M, Yashica Yashikor 28mm f2.8). Assuming I like them I'll work out if a G85 or GH5 or whatever is the right fit and fill in the gaps, the Voitlander 10.5mm and 17.5mm 0.95 lenses look absolutely stunning!  If Panasonics FF camera is 8K then the price of a used GH5 will plummet and my lens budget will be huge!! ???

On 10/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Bioskop.Inc said:

Yep, we should be calling these people out as Trolls (there are 2 of them, but one backs off when challenged).

I think we should rename them as the "Egyptian Trolls", after are most famous useless Troll/Advisor/Imposter & Waste of Space contributor. It's getting really annoying as people are sharing stuff, which is a brave thing to do online as it really brings out the worst in some idiots. But this forum always seemed like an accepting safe haven from that & people would give constructive criticism or just shut their big mouths instead of being nasty!

No forum is perfect, but at least here most people are understanding & accepting. My biggest grip is the PK4 thread that was taken over by a GH5 troll - what a waste. Perhaps we need to counter attack or just keep people in check?

Anywho, back to this thread: So here is a run'n'gun I did with the OG Pocket - The very wide shot was done without a tripod, which meant standing still for 6mins (got 3 bites of the action - 1 wide shot & 1 close up of singer both shot during sound check & run'n'gun during the actual gig). Using 3 points of contact, using a cheap viewfinder on the BMPCC screen, a Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip/shoulder brace rig with a Zacuto baseplate with rails & taking lens with anamorphic adaptor (just under 1kg of weight).

Without a doubt, I have posted some crap over the years and most people have been very helpful and constructive. But there are always the know it alls and armchair professionals. If you have a few minutes to spare read the nonsense in the Wedding Video thread. 

But as you said, back on topic. I’ve wanted one of those Krasnogorsk shoulder stocks, or something similar, for awhile. I can get fairly steady shots up to 40-50mm handheld with a strap and a hand cradle but inevitably, a little wobble occurs. I’ve been using my small Benro Monopod as a shoulder stock, or I’ll hook one of the feet onto my belt... and that alone will let me use an 85mm fairly steady. For the run and gun shooting that I do, a full on shoulder rig with rails would be way too conspicuous and cumbersome.